Luna Royal Oak

Luna's changed considerably in the the last few years. Lot's more TV's now and the atmosphere shares a LOT with your normal Royal Oak bar. The electro-industrial Wednesday nights are long gone. Pleasure Kitten and Void 6 are at City Club as you all know. The girlfriend and I went up there one random weeknight last Summer. Musically it was billed as electropop night but we ended up hearing a lot more Kanye West, Rhianna and such. Was very crowded however and the drinks were stills trong. I think the owner Nick realizes his crowd ISN'T the goth/industrial crowd that so often frequented 3D, Groove Room and Luna in it's infancy. The crowd now is the young suburban Royal Oak crowd - jeans, t-shirts, etc... No problem with that personally. but it's less about the music now and simply another Royal Oak watering hole. DJ Paul would play some good alternative stuff on Saturdays (read indie rock like Killers, Muse, Franz Ferdinand, etc...) and it appears he' still DJ'ing, but overall it's hardly the same club as when Rohn, Noble, Kat and Void were behind the decks...

Luna's changed considerably in the the last few years. Lot's more TV's now and the atmosphere shares a LOT with your normal Royal Oak bar. The electro-industrial Wednesday nights are long gone. Pleasure Kitten and Void 6 are at City Club as you all know. The girlfriend and I went up there one random weeknight last Summer. Musically it was billed as electropop night but we ended up hearing a lot more Kanye West, Rhianna and such. Was very crowded however and the drinks were stills trong. I think the owner Nick realizes his crowd ISN'T the goth/industrial crowd that so often frequented 3D, Groove Room and Luna in it's infancy. The crowd now is the young suburban Royal Oak crowd - jeans, t-shirts, etc... No problem with that personally. but it's less about the music now and simply another Royal Oak watering hole. DJ Paul would play some good alternative stuff on Saturdays (read indie rock like Killers, Muse, Franz Ferdinand, etc...) and it appears he' still DJ'ing, but overall it's hardly the same club as when Rohn, Noble, Kat and Void were behind the decks...

I couldn't have said it better myself.

On the bright side, they'll be happy to play plenty of Brokencyde and Lady Gaga for you

it's free, right?

then it's good. :)

Agreeing with this. Go tonight if you are free - it's free drinks and prob free admission, both until 10pm. Just go in the mood to have a good time with no expectations. If you are in a good mood and it's close, and it's free, you should have fun. After 10 the drinks are still affordable and strong. Make sure you don't drink too much to drive home and give yourself time to sober up, or go to National after for that. You can park in the National lot. It's an easy fun night. Just don't go into it with any expectations, so you can't be disappointed. It's a tiny tiny place and will be PACKED to hell, so you will have to wait for bar service, you will be bumped into a lot, you won't have ample space on the dance floor (or anywhere), and you will have to wait in line for the restrooms. But there is enough space to dance (you can utilize the stage space as well) and drinks are strong and cheap and the music can be fun (though I'm not sure what genre they are playing tonight). Just go into it with an open mind and you should have fun. I usually do when I go, if I am in a good mood that night. If I am not in a good mood, I get irritated and don't have a good time, but if I am in a good mood, it's a good time, albeit crowded. XD

I stopped going there years ago because I don't go to preppy clubs anymore.

They USED to have a goth night, but the yuppie invasion of Royal Oak that squelched out all of the goth/punk Corner Kids also hit Luna and pushed us all out.

I boycott Luna adamently and have for years.

Well the thing is the distance. It's so much closer to us than Necto and I want to get out! I need to get out and dance. I need some time around more people. I'm finally back on my medication and I can deal with people.

CC is much closer than Necto. I hated CC for a good two year span there but they're starting to come back somewhat and play more legitimate goth music and more of the "tourists" have either been going away or drinking a tall glass of STFU before they come in. I've never been to Necto but was a clubbing monster.

I REALLY wish they would bring back Dead-Line. Dead-Line was 100% amazing in everyway. Didn't have to listen to bullshit music like CC was playing for awhile (but like I said, CC has improved somewhat), they had pool, two rooms open, kitchen that went all night, and an awesome crowd.

CC is much closer than Necto. I hated CC for a good two year span there but they're starting to come back somewhat and play more legitimate goth music and more of the "tourists" have either been going away or drinking a tall glass of STFU before they come in. I've never been to Necto but was a clubbing monster.

I REALLY wish they would bring back Dead-Line. Dead-Line was 100% amazing in everyway. Didn't have to listen to bullshit music like CC was playing for awhile (but like I said, CC has improved somewhat), they had pool, two rooms open, kitchen that went all night, and an awesome crowd.

Dead-Line will rise again!!!