• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm so old I went to DEMF when DEMF was actually worth going to because now it is not. It's completely corporate and the originalness of it has been completely lost.

I'd say have fun, but I feel bad that you're a youngin and didn't get to experience DEMF when it was actually fun.

I'm so old I went to DEMF when DEMF was actually worth going to because now it is not. It's completely corporate and the originalness of it has been completely lost.

I'd say have fun, but I feel bad that you're a youngin and didn't get to experience DEMF when it was actually fun.

I saw P-funk...FOR FREE!!!

I'm boycotting; this year, because, some of the peoples from The Collective, went to them to try to get us an electric-industrial stage...& they said, "NO!"...so :p

I agree with Chern...Its ok but nothing like it used to be...although I will be going if the rumors I here from Marc are true (I wont spil the surprise). DEMF is alright...if your wasted the whole time so you dont mind the repetitiveness of it all. The fact that you have to pay for it now makes me sad.

In short, ill go if who I hope is going to be there actually shows up, if not, its going to take alot of booze and convincing to get me to go again.

@the whole industrial stage thing...Of course they said no, did you seriously expect any different?

Edited by Sluagh686

Funny how we were just talking about this the other day.

But, yeah...I would probably be more psyched about going if it was like how you described it as it used to be.

I saw P-funk...FOR FREE!!!

I'm boycotting; this year, because, some of the peoples from The Collective, went to them to try to get us an electric-industrial stage...& they said, "NO!"...so :p

That's because DEMF has 100% sold-out and is for posers now. Hence why I boycott.

It started out very raver/cyber-industrial/scene oriented and was started by a Detroit DJ who wanted nothing more than to spread the joy of various forms of techno and electro.

Two years later Pepsi bought the event. You can guess what happened after that :rolleyes:. There's no legitimately true techno-kids anymore, just bratty preppy-snobs who had the money to shell out $50 to stand around the whole weekend bored.

I feel BAD for anyone that wastes a penny on DEMF as it is truly a crap-fest catered to little high school kids and richy-rich preppy people.

@the whole industrial stage thing...Of course they said no, did you seriously expect any different?

If I'm not mistaken, Noir Leather used to have a stage...did they not? I thought they played electro-industrialish kind of stuff...but I may have been off-my-tits drunk.

But...alas, invasion of the preps who try to emulate whatever style they can at the moment if it seems new to them had to ruin everything and now DEMF is a sea of bullshit.

Edited by Chernobyl

If I'm not mistaken, Noir Leather used to have a stage...did they not? I thought they played electro-industrialish kind of stuff...but I may have been off-my-tits drunk.

But...alas, invasion of the preps who try to emulate whatever style they can at the moment if it seems new to them had to ruin everything and now DEMF is a sea of bullshit.

Time to play devils advocate.

Who do you think the are going to cater to, the "preps" who ACTUALLY HAVE MONEY AND WILL SPEND IT. Or the whiny goth kids who are broke and the majority are living with there parents. Its smarter to cater to the people who will reward you for it with more than just "wow I had alot of fun, thanks". Who cares about if they are preps? Its the same reason I think dress codes for goth clubs/fetish shows are funny as hell/ a bunch of bull. Who cares if he is wearing a white collar shirt. If he/she likes what is going on, and will probably spend more money at the bar than 10 of the goth kids, Id let him in.

The goth community sucks, I wouldnt cater to them at a techno festival much if at all either. Especially since DJing industrial is a fricken joke and takes practically no talent. The only thing easier is a wedding DJ. All the people that DJ at DEMF are actually talented and can freestyle ect. we just hit play and fade out.

Edited by Sluagh686

Time to play devils advocate.

Who do you think the are going to cater to, the "preps" who ACTUALLY HAVE MONEY AND WILL SPEND IT. Or the whiny goth kids who are broke and the majority are living with there parents. Its smarter to cater to the people who will reward you for it with more than just "wow I had alot of fun, thanks". Who cares about if they are preps? Its the same reason I think dress codes for goth clubs/fetish shows are funny as hell/ a bunch of bull. Who cares if he is wearing a white collar shirt. If he/she likes what is going on, and will probably spend more money at the bar than 10 of the goth kids, Id let him in.

The goth community sucks, I wouldnt cater to them at a techno festival much if at all either. Especially since DJing industrial is a fricken joke and takes practically no talent. The only thing easier is a wedding DJ. All the people that DJ at DEMF are actually talented and can freestyle ect. we just hit play and fade out.

I'm art oriented, not money oriented. So I cater to "whiny goth kids that live with their parents".

For the record, I own my own home and it is fully paid off. It's kind of a ridiculous assumption to assume that goths live with their parents and are broke. None of my goth friends fall into that category...but strangely all of my preppy friends do.

Hence why I USED to be FOR DEMF....it was ART oriented. It was for the love of electro. Then Pepsi bought it and it became all about the love of money and therefore the original meaning was lost and it turned into the same generic bullshit you can find anywhere.

Edited by Chernobyl

I've gone at least one day each year, and I'll definitely be there this year! :)

Those of you who stopped going because they "sold out"...lol! The city of Detroit couldn't afford to subsidize it any more, and no suburb was going to take it. If staying true means it should've died, then I say thank god for "sellouts" like Kevin Saunderson and (after him) Paxahau. :unworthy:

...and it's too bad y'all missed last year, 'cause the only year that was better all-around was the second year (2001).

one last thing: last year the early bird special started on St. Patrick's Day and lasted a week; I got a weekend pass for $35. It should be coming around again next week. :)

I'm art oriented, not money oriented. So I cater to "whiny goth kids that live with their parents".

For the record, I own my own home and it is fully paid off. It's kind of a ridiculous assumption to assume that goths live with their parents and are broke. None of my goth friends fall into that category...but strangely all of my preppy friends do.

Hence why I USED to be FOR DEMF....it was ART oriented. It was for the love of electro. Then Pepsi bought it and it became all about the love of money and therefore the original meaning was lost and it turned into the same generic bullshit you can find anywhere.

Well considering your main reason for never going out is money, you still fit into the "broke" catagory. Congrats on having your own house, your one of the few. Obviously not everyone lives with there rents still, but alot of them do, and alot that dont live with them, are broke. I am all for art and individuality, but I am also all for being smart and learning that in order to survive in the really real world, you have to sacrifice some of it. The original meaning is still there, music. Alot of the people that perform there wont do it unless they are paid. Hell, im pretty sure NITZER EBB was one of them. Spammer had a point, they kind of had to start charging, so that I dont blame them for, although its a bit much.

Dont take this as an attack, I like you, enjoy your company.

Edited by Sluagh686

Well considering your main reason for never going out is money, you still fit into the "broke" catagory. Congrats on having your own house, your one of the few. Obviously not everyone lives with there rents still, but alot of them do, and alot that dont live with them, are broke. I am all for art and individuality, but I am also all for being smart and learning that in order to survive in the really real world, you have to sacrifice some of it. The original meaning is still there, music. Alot of the people that perform there wont do it unless they are paid. Hell, im pretty sure NITZER EBB was one of them. Spammer had a point, they kind of had to start charging, so that I dont blame them for, although its a bit much.

Dont take this as an attack, I like you, enjoy your company.

Oh feeling is mutual. I enjoy your company and your setlists.

We're not broke as much as we are just old now :tongue: . We were VERY broke living in our condo working our asses off just to try to not come up negative EVERY month as I had been. It was just not practical living in our condo paying what we were and going to college and trying to pay all this shit.

So I sold that POS and got a much bigger house in Warren for only $8,000 and roommates to pay me extra every month so now I MAKE money living in my house. Smart...no?

We always plan to go out but then people will come over, some huge party will start, and then we get trapped. Maybe I should start charging cover? :tongue:

And it's sad because while I would do everything in a non-profit manner and for the glory of the art itself I know that many people are money-grubbers and simply do not think the way I do. Everyone would always chalk me up as being materialistic, apparently I just give off those vibes, but I couldn't come up with more than five cheap things that I wanted for Christmas when my roommate asked because I actually have everything I need, and there isn't much of it that is "stuff". My boyfriend on the other hand is the polar opposite...REAL bad.

It's funny because most of the stuff I listed that I wanted were all things to help my "art(s)". CDs like Skinny Puppy to listen to while I pen my novels, a steamer so I could make dreadfalls more efficiently, paints as I'm wanting to get back into that, new DDR pad so that I could perfect my dancingness, etc. So all of my material stuff is usually something that helps my art, anything other than that is just a waste, imo.

I game occasionally but it's because it's the one thing Pestilence does a lot that I can do too, and many of our friends come over and are big gamers. We definitely have a very gamer-oriented house, just ask Eevee, Storm Knight, and/or Prick.

Edited by Chernobyl

last year was the first year i missed since it started... Until they bring back some industrial or even some good synthpop im gonna miss it again and again hehe.

But still! Have fun! its your first time and it will be an awesome experience! Dance yer ass off and stay away from the drugs... drugs are bad and DEMF is better without

Yes there's been some rumblings about a certain headliner appearing this year that should/could have a wide variety of music fans a buzz. And no it's not VNV Nation as rumored every damn year... think BIGGER and BETTER!

Nocker dragged my ass down there last year for a day. It was fun. Anthony Rother totally tore it up and was worth the price of admission alone. Octave One were brilliant as always as well. HOWEVER that being said, the vibe has changed a lot since the early days. Musically it's just not my thing any longer, but that could easily be because my interest in techno has nearly died off. Less variety these past few years it seems. They need to branch out more and include all the sub-genres to make it interesting(why no breakcore? gabba? hard-tek?) Bring back people like Speedy J, Autechre, etc... and couple that with somebody really underground and exciting like DJ Hidden, Somatic Responses, Enduser, Motor, Chris Liebing, etc... Expand and educate these kiddies. It always seems like more than half of the lineup is the same people/acts from years past and the lineups lack a true reflection of the current diversity that COULD be introduced simply because the organizers want to pay homage to the Detroit sound. I understand a lot of those acts are what bring people in, but knowing many of the acts are going to be there year in and year out is about as exciting as knowing Eddie Money opens the Pine Knob summer series every fucking year.

As for the lack of an industrial stage, we'll leave that one for some other time/reply cause there's equally a ton that can be said there.

Anyways, I've yet to see the lineup for 2010. If the one rumored headliner is there I'm FOR SURE going (as will about 90% of people on this board I'd guess) otherwise it will take a dream-lineup of varied artist and DJ's with very distinct styles to get me to attend. Specific after parties usually have a MUCH better draw for me and I'd recommend checking those out.

Finally, please don't go to a techno festival dressed as a zombie... about as silly as wearing red to a Chinese funeral. Save the zombie stuff for Halloween...

They need to branch out more and include all the sub-genres to make it interesting(why no breakcore? gabba? hard-tek?) Bring back people like Speedy J, Autechre, etc... and couple that with somebody really underground and exciting like DJ Hidden, Somatic Responses, Enduser, Motor, Chris Liebing, etc...

I saw Chris Liebing a couple times back in the day. great stuff. I agree that the vibe is completely off. It isnt "fun" feeling anymore. But, maybe its because im in the same boat. I cant handle most forms of techno for more than about 3 tracks now. I want some good chicago house... maybe some disco house... hell even some Mark Farina style deep house! Some really good drum n bass... wtf ever happened to DJ Dara?! He was effin amazing! Caught him probably 8 times in my "rave" days.

I heard gabber once at DEMF. it was the second year and one of the tents near all the merch was tearing it up.

I haven't gone since the Ebb show and agree that it was getting worse and worse every year up till then. But I'm interested in seeing who they get this year for the 10th anniversary. Plastikman is the only artist announced so far I think. But they are going to do a partial lineup announcement tomorrow so I am hoping to get someone like autechre again (their new album is great) to make the show worthwhile for me.

+ 100

I have a weakness for festivals like this. Pride fest was the best to me :D I love being able to get dressed up and meet different people. I smoke weed so it will make it interesting :D It may not be what everyone remembers it as but I still want to go. I never have been able to. I want to experience this for myself. :]

I have a weakness for festivals like this. Pride fest was the best to me :D I love being able to get dressed up and meet different people. I smoke weed so it will make it interesting :D It may not be what everyone remembers it as but I still want to go. I never have been able to. I want to experience this for myself. :]

you're gonna have a great time. :)

a zombie at DEMF? Thats kinda funny...maybe you could be a fuzzy rainbow zombie....tongue2.gif

It was def better when it was free

have not enjoyed it much since they took out one of the stages...no more break dancers...

if you look on the itinerary you will find that the really good acts are spread out so you have to sit through a bunch of eh not so good ones...and wait hours for one you really like to come on...in the heat...paying 5 bucks a lemonaid...buy one cup and refill it in the bathroom with water to save money, they wont let you bring in your own.

Hide your weed WELL....if they find it they take it...I used to just park in the underground garage. Then I would just walk back to my car to smoke, I stopped doing it in the festival...cops everywhere.

Oh and maybe make a brownie...so you can extend your high and not need to smoke as much.

Its best at night so I would say just skip the early parts...like early in the day...not much going on...save your dance energy for night.

Edited by Homicidalheathen