Michigan workplaces -- including bars and restaurants -- will go smokefree in May

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What I wonder is.... if people are aloud to smoke in bars and blow smoke on me... What's next? will I not be able to masturbate on people in bars anymore? It's my choice... It's my freedom... the government if they ban me masturbating on others in eating establishments, bars, and clubs... as well as smoking... what's next? I won't be able to take a dump on the dance floor anymore? How am I supposed to enjoy my drink, if I can't take a dump, spooge, and blow toxic fumes on people???

What a joke this law is....

BWAHAHAHAHA.... interesting way to illustrate a point.

Smokers... what about an ecigarette? Those may still be legal indoors--you can get your fix, and its not obtrusively stinky to others.

Smokers... what about an ecigarette? Those may still be legal indoors--you can get your fix, and its not obtrusively stinky to others.

And now there is snus, and there still exists that nasty gum.

Yet, I still kind of agree with the licensing option. Only, I don't know why it can't be costly to deter overuse. I only hope that outdoor ashtrays and butt cans will become more common. I hate looking at a pile of butts in various stages of decay.

E-cigarettes are a great way to overdose on nicotine if you are really feeling like normal cigarettes are not working fast enough. One filter has more nicotine than, well the average states 3 packs, yet there is no way to regulate intake.

Also, while I am against the ban it seems like people are painting a picture here that has nothing to do with many smokers...but it is a very good stereotype to say the least. I am not going to compare smokers to fat people, heavy drinkers, heavy drug users, and all the rest because we all have our shit...some people just don't want to admit it.

Look, I don't know how many time I have to fucking say this. Maybe, and this is contrary to popular belief, there are enough people out there in certain areas to keep some smoking bars around. I know damn well that is the case in my area...if it is different somewhere else then they can choose what they want to do. I mean shit, my area already has about 25 non-smoking bars which may not be close to the 76 bars that allow smoking, but the non-smoking bars are never really that busy and are more like pubs that bars. Why can't we choose? Why can't the owners choose?

And I read a few posts that talked about bars like they were public places...no they are not. Maybe if the are were owned by all tax payers and didn't serve alcohol...or if you are really talking about parks, bus station, or anything funded by the local government. Public areas are open and accessible to all citizens regardless of gender, race, ethnicity, age or social status. If you are looking for a term to support your side may I suggest WORKPLACE?

What I wonder is.... if people are aloud to smoke in bars and blow smoke on me... What's next? will I not be able to masturbate on people in bars anymore? It's my choice... It's my freedom... the government if they ban me masturbating on others in eating establishments, bars, and clubs... as well as smoking... what's next? I won't be able to take a dump on the dance floor anymore? How am I supposed to enjoy my drink, if I can't take a dump, spooge, and blow toxic fumes on people???

What a joke this law is....

Does this mean we can't hang out at our favorite pub anymore? The Brewkake

I am a non-smoker. I can't stay at City very long ever because that smoke really gets to my eyes and I have to leave. So, I should be all for the ban.

I am asthmatic, and am allergic to a LOT of things. Cigarette smoke irritates my asthma and allergies REALLY BAD. Like unbelieveably bad for those who haven't seen it.

Two of my children are the same way. They have inhalers and nebulizers and have since they were a few weeks old. Both of my son's have ended up in the hospital a few times over asthma attacks that were triggered by cigarette smoke.

Going out in public, I always have to watch and be overly aware of smoke and such, it will be nice to not have to worry about it.

Standing outside somewhere, at an entrance, hotel hallways, rest areas ... even at school, when there is a 100% smoking ban on school property, are all places I have to avoid or scope out before I walk past (or take my children).

Personally, I am glad/ You want to harm yourself with it, then that's fine, but don't harm me or my kids in the process.

Well, we need to ban all allergens then. Peanuts are a big one. So, no more nuts! Feathers. Perfume.

What else can we ban to make you safer? Candles? Bleached flour? When have we gone to far?

I do see your point here... but do you believe that smoke and peanuts are the same thing as far as how many people experience the negative effects of it?

Well, we need to ban all allergens then. Peanuts are a big one. So, no more nuts! Feathers. Perfume.

What else can we ban to make you safer? Candles? Bleached flour? When have we gone to far?

A lot of those, like peanuts can be avoided. Quite easily. My son is allergic to Turkey, easy fix, don't give him turkey.

I'm allergic to dust, cat dander, pollen, dogwood, mold ... not so easy to avoid, in fact, I have to stay inside a lot, or cover my face when walking to and from the car. My car air system has to be maintained in a timely manner. If I buy a new house or car I have to make sure cat dander or outside irritants aren't present, which usually entails rather pricey testing.

Smoke in the air isn't restricted to just one spot ... it lingers and travels with the wind.

In the same token. If you went to a smoke free bar, you would be fine. But, why ban smoking at all bars? That's not right. It would be the same as the government banning turkey to protect your son. You have to worry about whether turkey is added in his food, so to make it easier- no label reading- we just ban turkey. We can always have tofurkey for the holidays. It's safer, and you don't have to worry about him accidentally ingesting turkey at a friend's house.

The beautiful thing about this was an AP article I read that stated it would be exempt for me to smoke in my work truck. How nice of them to not tell me I can't smoke in a vehicle. I guess that is a government granted privilege now.

I believe your truck would be exempt, unless there is a company policy barring it.

In the same token. If you went to a smoke free bar, you would be fine. But, why ban smoking at all bars?

You can't say that. It is good logic...but once the people against smoking here this they stop all discussion and go straight to sarcastic remarks or tell you how selfish you are...even though you are asking for a compromise...

I believe your truck would be exempt, unless there is a company policy barring it.

If you use a vehicle at work and you use it with other workers...that will be against the law...if you are the ONLY person that will be using it...it is against the law. Any association with a vehicle and a job will mean it is a smoke free environment...even if you own it and are the sole user.

I did one delivery in my car for work...the bitch at the store I delivered the bolts to saw me smoking in my car and told the manager...but after I paid the $200 ticket for "endangering a work environment" or whatever it was, sat out of work for three weeks, and took a stupid company class on how to treat other employees it was all good. Almost as bad as the time I was smoking too close to a brick wall that was apparently a building...but that ticket was only about $86 and the cop slipped on the ice and fell pretty hard...

And for the allergy part...I got some nasty allergies too. I take my pills, get my shots, and deal with the shit that gets through. I understand it sucks but stuff can be avoided and a bar is someplace that you don't HAVE to attend. Now, if we had a choice between smoking and non-smoking bars people would have a choice...but thats just insane!

In the same token. If you went to a smoke free bar, you would be fine. But, why ban smoking at all bars? That's not right. It would be the same as the government banning turkey to protect your son. You have to worry about whether turkey is added in his food, so to make it easier- no label reading- we just ban turkey. We can always have tofurkey for the holidays. It's safer, and you don't have to worry about him accidentally ingesting turkey at a friend's house.

Not really....

If I eat turkey in a room full of others... the others are not forced to eat turkey too. But if I smoke in the same room as others, all of the others are made to smoke as well whether they want to or not.... big difference. Kind of the difference between listening to music on headphones vs. a boombox.

Kind of the difference between listening to music on headphones vs. a boombox.

Which is why I hate that fucking (indeed) push-to-talk option on Motorola cell phones. It's bad enough that I have to listen to half a conversation from people on normal cell phones but that I can tolerate. When you've got this loud crackly beepy walkie talkie thingy, well that just bloody cheeses me.

There's nothing wrong with the smoking ban. There sre lots of political leaders that have ban things they have thought were bad for citizens.

Here's one that shouldn't be forgotten.

hitler460.jpg

history isn't repeating its self at all.

Oh no....

Argument over http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Godwin's_law