At Least 7 Dead, 20 Wounded in Shooting at Ft. Hood in Texas

Thursday, November 05, 2009

A mass shooting at Ft. Hood military post in Texas has left at least 7 dead and 20 wounded and one suspected gunman is on the loose, officials told Fox News.

A massive manhunt was under way for the suspect at large, Fox News confirmed. One person was in custody. The New York Post said that there were two shooters at the Army post massacre; other reports said there were three.

The attack apparently happened at Ft. Hood's Soldier Readiness Center. Army officials didn't know whether the victims were civilians or military personnel.

Other media reports said the number of victims remained unclear.

The men were reportedly dressed in Army fatigues, but military officials couldn't confirm that they were Army personnel.

The base and area schools were on lockdown after the mass shooting, and all those on the Army post were asked to gather for a head count.

The FBI was en route to Ft. Hood to provide assistance.

There have been several previous deadly incidents at Ft. Hood, including a shooting of one soldier by another at a party in July; a rape and fatal shooting of an Army medic at her apartment near the post 11 years ago; and the murder-suicide of a lieutenant by a soldier in September 2008.

Edited by KatRN05

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't wait for more info to come out, it doesn't seem like it was some random shooting. According to what I've heard on Fox, it seems pretty easy to get on base. If I recall they only ask for a driver's license, at least thats all I had to show when I went on base a few years ago. Thankfully my friend Andy is alright.

Edited by KatRN05

12 dead, 31 injured..the shooter was an Army shrink and a Major to boot. He is in custody, along with two others. From what I've read seems he was up for deployment and was afraid to go..not like he would have really seen much action in the field.

The two other people in custody have been let go, the Major was a lone gunman as they say.

12 dead, 31 injured..the shooter was an Army shrink and a Major to boot. He is in custody, along with two others. From what I've read seems he was up for deployment and was afraid to go..not like he would have really seen much action in the field.

That's like takin' out a platoon... :shock:

The longer your profession goes to school, the higher the rank starts out...

...don't shrinks see most of their action in the couch anyways??? :p

No...really...here's the update ;)

CNN

(CNN) -- A solider suspected of fatally shooting 12 and wounding 31 at Fort Hood in Texas on Thursday is not dead as previously reported by the military, the base's commander said Thursday evening.

A civilian officer who was wounded in the incident shot the suspect, who is "in custody and in stable condition," Army Lt. Gen. Robert Cone told reporters.

"Preliminary reports indicate there was a single shooter that was shot multiple times at the scene," Cone said at a news conference. "However, he was not killed as previously reported."

The suspect, identified as Maj. Nidal Malik Hasan, opened fire at a military processing center at Fort Hood around 1:30 p.m., Cone said.

Three others initially taken into custody for interviews have been released, Cone said.

Hasan, 39, is a graduate of Virginia Tech and a psychiatrist licensed in Virginia who was practicing at Darnall Army Medical Center at Fort Hood, according to military and professional records. Previously, he worked at Walter Reed Army Medical Center.

A federal official said Hasan is a U.S. citizen of Jordanian descent. Military documents show that Hasan was born in Virginia and was never deployed outside the United States.

In a statement released Thursday, Hasan's cousin, Nader Hasan, said his family is "filled with grief for the families of today's victims."

"Our family loves America. We are proud of our country, and saddened by today's tragedy," the statement said. "Because this situation is still unfolding, we have nothing else that we are able to share with you at this time."

Hasan was scheduled to be deployed to Iraq "and appeared to be upset about that," Sen. Kay Bailey Hutchison, R-Texas, said.

"I think that there is a lot of investigation going on now into his background and what he was doing that was not known before," Hutchison said.

Hutchison said she was told that the soldiers at the readiness facility "were filling out paper processing to go to Iraq or Afghanistan," according to CNN affiliate KXAN in Austin, Texas.

The readiness center is one of the last stops before soldiers deploy. It is also one of the first places a soldier goes upon returning to the United States.

The base reopened Thursday night after being under lockdown for more than five hours.

At a news conference earlier in the day, Cone said at least 10 of the dead were soldiers.

The shooter had two weapons, both handguns, Cone said.

A witness in a building adjacent to where the shooting happened said soldiers were cutting up their uniforms into homemade bandages as the wounded were brought into the building.

"It was total chaos," the witness said.

Cone said a graduation ceremony was being held in an auditorium just 50 meters from where the shooting took place.

"Thanks to the quick reaction of several soldiers, they were able to close off the doors to that auditorium where there were some 600 people inside," he said.

Peggy McCarty of Missouri told CNN affiliate KSHB that her daughter, Keara Bono, was among Thursday's wounded. She said she briefly spoke to Bono, who told her she had been shot in her left shoulder but was doing well.

"She's being deployed to Iraq on December 7," McCarty said. "I thought I was more worried about her going over to Iraq than here, just doing training in Texas. She just got there yesterday."

A woman who lives on base, about eight blocks from the shooting, said she and her daughter were at home when her husband called and told them to stay inside.

"And I asked him why, what was going on. He said that there was a shooting," said the woman, Nicole, who asked that her last name not be used. She said her husband called her back about 20 minutes later and told her to go upstairs, stay away from doors and windows and keep the doors locked.

"It's just been crazy," she said. "Sirens everywhere."

A soldier who asked not to be identified told CNN that an e-mail went out to all base personnel instructing them not to speak to the media.

President Obama called the shootings "tragic" and "a horrific outburst of violence." He expressed his condolences for the shooting victims.

"These are men and women who have made the selfless and courageous decision to risk, and at times give, their lives to protect the rest of us on a daily basis," Obama said. "It's difficult enough when we lose these brave Americans in battles overseas. It is horrifying that they should come under fire at an Army base on American soil."

Scott & White Memorial Hospital in Temple, Texas, posted an online appeal for blood as it began receving victims. "Due to the recent events on Fort Hood, we are in URGENT need of ALL blood types," it said.

Fort Hood, with about 40,000 troops, is home to the Army's 1st Cavalry Division and elements of the 4th Infantry Division, as well as the 3rd Armored Cavalry Regiment and the 13th Corps Support Command. It is located near Killeen, Texas.

The headquarters unit and three brigades of the 1st Cavalry are currently deployed in Iraq.

At least 25,000 people are at Fort Hood on any given day, an Army spokesman at the Pentagon said.

Fort Hood is home to the Warrior Combat Stress Reset Program, which is designed to help soldiers overcome combat stress issues.

In June, Fort Hood's commander, Lt. Gen. Rick Lynch, told CNN that he was trying to ease the kind of stresses soldiers face. He has pushed for soldiers working a day schedule to return home for dinner by 6 p.m., and required his personal authorization for anyone working weekends. At the time, two soldiers stationed there had committed suicide in 2009 -- a rate well below those of other posts.

Nearby Killeen was the scene of one of the most deadly shootings in American history 18 years ago when George Hennard crashed his truck into a Luby's Cafeteria and began shooting, killing 23 people and wounding 20.

Hennard's spree lasted 14 minutes. He eventually took his own life.

The thing that bothers me though is that he was taking part in discussions and thoughts about suicide killers as being an honor like a soldier jumping on a grenade to save others. This guy's thoughts were changing him into an extremist I think, because as he said, the wars in Afghanistan and Iraq were wrong. In an interview that I listened to from a Lieutenant, they were keeping an eye on possibilities that our own troops have sleeper cells in them. I think the longer we deny the thought that just about all terrorists are muslim (not to be confused with muslims being terrorists), and that they are all over the country acting as regular citizens, the more damage they are going to do to this country. They are using our own laws and ways of life against us.

I don't really know if it was terrorists...maybe...but some of my friends have been in combat a few times and although they handled it fairly well they do say that it takes it toll on the soldiers, the people that help them when they come home, and the people that hear the stories. Honestly, I talked to a guy that had to go around to the body dump sites to pick up executed Iraqis...it wasn't just what he saw that hurt him...it was the fact that people were doing this to THEIR OWN PEOPLE for reasons that probably don't make any sense. He told me that they had one hell of a time when they got back for debriefing...it had upset them and was now being passed on to people like this guy that shot people. Some shit gets to people and I am going to guess that this guy had heard enough to have some bad dreams...but the word "deploy" finally made him snap.

Also, the Army has had problems with gangs before...that is why they have made it a big point to check you out before they let you in now. But in this case gang issues are probably not part of this.

I don't really know if it was terrorists...maybe...but some of my friends have been in combat a few times and although they handled it fairly well they do say that it takes it toll on the soldiers, the people that help them when they come home, and the people that hear the stories. Honestly, I talked to a guy that had to go around to the body dump sites to pick up executed Iraqis...it wasn't just what he saw that hurt him...it was the fact that people were doing this to THEIR OWN PEOPLE for reasons that probably don't make any sense. He told me that they had one hell of a time when they got back for debriefing...it had upset them and was now being passed on to people like this guy that shot people. Some shit gets to people and I am going to guess that this guy had heard enough to have some bad dreams...but the word "deploy" finally made him snap.

Also, the Army has had problems with gangs before...that is why they have made it a big point to check you out before they let you in now. But in this case gang issues are probably not part of this.

:clap:

NICE POINT THERE...right on the head of the nail you are this time.

I think hsi statement that he was "A Muslim first and an American second" says alot. What says more is his statements that he beleives America is "attacking Islam".

Or that Islam should rise up against America.

I'm sorry.

What he did was a terrorist act, and should be treated as such.

Texas has the death penalty, and I think that guy should Fry in the Electric chair!

I see a few things that will soon happen here...

First he is still in a coma and, unless military rules are different in this area, he may not be tried/given a sentence until he "wakes up"

Second, people will blame the army...everything from having short haircuts to "letting" crazy people in...

Third, there will be a few sympathy votes...not too many I hope...purely because he was following Islam or just because he attacked America...and if he was a follower of Islam HOW DARE we accuse him of doing anything wrong...that is STEREOTYPING!

Those last two I got from the general discussion from people at school...I wanted to puch a few of those people.

Or that Islam should rise up against America.

I'm sorry.

What he did was a terrorist act, and should be treated as such.

Texas has the death penalty, and I think that guy should Fry in the Electric chair!

Oh if and when he wakes up he'll be tried by the military..they have the death penalty too

It does sound like he could have been motivated by misguided religious beliefs.

"He said that at a class presentation by public health students, at which topics like dry cleaning chemicals and house mold were discussed, Hasan talked about U.S. military actions as a war on Islam. Hasan made clear he was a "vociferous opponent" of U.S. wars in Muslim countries, Finnell said.

"He made himself a lightning rod for things," Finnell said. "No one picked on him because he was a Muslim." "

In this article some of his family say they are mortified by his actions.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20091107/ap_on_re_us/us_fort_hood_shooting

That's what this country gets for its false utopian ideals that we can all hold hands, hug, and sing and it will change the minds of Muslin extremists. I am not saying that all Muslims are extremists, especially in this country, the case is quite the contrary. Most Muslim citizens that I know on a personal basis are good and hardworking people and completely disagree with extremist views...BUT, since at this disjuncture there is no REAL way to discern who is who, I don't believe someone who could possibly be the enemy of this war should be allowed in. It is very harsh, I wish it wasn't like that, but as I said there is NO way to tell who is a good Muslim and who is an extremist until something like this happens and it's too late. Had he been more organized, had more people, had not been taken out as quickly...I wonder what the death toll would have been then?

..oK media lovers..I heard a whole lot of shit...now, I talk...like, if someone was a Christian first, & an American second, it is oK...in fact, it is not even blinked at...

..same goes for a Buddhist...they can get out of combat service for Spiritual reason...shit, EVERY Mormon, is a Mormon FIRST...& I have never knowingly met a Pagan, worth their salt, that did not consider themselves as their own King...

*pulls out beat up old tin hat, dusts it off, & puts it on*

...on another note.....do you ever think that the 'powers that be' used an honest-to-G*D-mental-meltdown to drum up some good ole fashioned hate, so they can wrest 'more control' over the peoples?

I could imagine how my nephew who is in Afghanistan fighting the war feels about this,I know for a fact that Texas has the death penalty.

It doesn't matter if Texas has the death penalty or not...this was on a military base with military people involved...the military calls trump here.

..oK media lovers..I heard a whole lot of shit...now, I talk...like, if someone was a Christian first, & an American second, it is oK...in fact, it is not even blinked at...

..same goes for a Buddhist...they can get out of combat service for Spiritual reason...shit, EVERY Mormon, is a Mormon FIRST...& I have never knowingly met a Pagan, worth their salt, that did not consider themselves as their own King...

*pulls out beat up old tin hat, dusts it off, & puts it on*

...on another note.....do you ever think that the 'powers that be' used an honest-to-G*D-mental-meltdown to drum up some good ole fashioned hate, so they can wrest 'more control' over the peoples?

Rev...I see what you are saying and it does make sense...

However, with many of these people putting their religions first it is usually with Morals that they hold. Many don't want to fight so they are given special jobs. The people that choose to put their religions first usually never say "You are wrong!" to the people that they work for like the Army, Navy, Air Force, Marines...they usually say "I don't agree so please put me somewhere that lets me do my share of the work and doesn't put me in a situation where my beliefs and my morals will get attacked or anything like that."

This guy did not seems to give a SHIT what other people though...it also doesn't seem to look like he wanted to talk it over either...

To a certain point the military WILL let you put something "first" as far as beliefs go...but the military is nothing more than another job that must function like a well oiled machine when it needs to which means that YOU gotta deal which means there must be TALK between you and the people that are paying you and giving very nice benefits. This is how they have been working for a while now...they will not tell you "no" but you must remember that you are part of a whole and that the whole will suck for you if you don't know how to handle yourself.

And no they really don't need a mental meltdown to make way for more control...all they have to do is "demonize" anything they don't like, give it a "sin" tax, and then push for bans...and I am not just talking about cigarettes.

I think that this was just a massive clusterfuck that nobody saw coming and nothing more...but we will probably never know for sure...