assisted suicide

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I do not mean to sound close minded but I really cannot agree with this. Maybe having so many people in my life commit suicide and myself come to the brink of suicide I just do not agree with it. I just cannot see how someone would want to end their life. Maybe if they are in so much pain and they lived there life, but there are other ways to that! So many options, we never look at the whole picture.

I'm a proponent of the Right to Die. I've also been affected by suicide, so I'm not saying that someone gets to off themselves when they get all emo, or even for something drastic like losing a limb, or becoming paraplegic.

I'm saying that when there is absolutely no hope of getting better, and the person is suffering, that person should be able to chose a peaceful exit.

My husband and I watched the Suicide Tourist last week. It was very sad. It is by no means a light decision, but we have to try to picture ourselves in their position. If you wouldn't chose it, then that's you, but I'd like to know there are other options for me, aside from shooting myself, if I ever find myself in that position.

• 2 years later...

Assisted suicide was designed for terminal illness, yet people with terminal mental health conditions were not allowed this, I think it's bullshit. The pain each is in may be different but it all hurts, ongoing with no hope for an end without this option.

The body is a vessel in which we operate within this world. When someone is so sick that the vessel in which they operate is nonfunctional, they should be allowed to make that decision. I see what you're saying regarding mental health, and of course, its a much more complicated issue. If someone's mental health is leading them to a world of pain, first of all, society is going to say that they are "unfit" to make that decision due to mental health issues. Second, for me anyway, I'd rather have that person stick around, given that their vessel is fully functional, to try and be treated. It may hurt, but there's still a chance for things to get better, for them to enjoy life, and for them to be productive in society. If we start saying its ok for people with mental health issues to be assisted in suicide, then that opens the door for all kinds of people to take an "easy" way out.