Tolerance and Political Correctness...

Yeah so my last three weeks of class have been filled with "talk" about Tolerance and Political Correctness and it has been EXTREMELY lacking in both tolerance and political correctness. The weird part is that the side that lacks both of these things is the side that is fighting for them. This makes me wonder if this is nothing more than mindless bull that is being shoved down out throats distracting us from something much more important...or if this is something that we really do need to embrace and make use of because it is the most important issue.

Now, I won't say much more than I have found very little use or practicality SO FAR when it comes to political correctness. Also, it seems that tolerance is also lacking in greatness and it seems like they are trying to force people to accept things that they have every right not to accept.

That is all I will say...now I want other people to give their thoughs or input on this subject.

Oh and if you are wondering I am NOT looking to be able to use racial slurs or anything like that without people yelling at me...that stuff really is wrong...although sometimes we all make mistakes and should be given the chance to explain ourselves.

Edited by candyman

Guest Megalicious

For one to be tolerant does not necessarily mean that one is political correct and vice versa. The two are not cohorts, so to speak.

Tolerance is not to except ones views as your own, it is to be fair and objective toward someone elses views even if they are different then yours. Do I think we need to embrace that idea and concept - HELL YES.

Being political correct on the other hand is just a formality, which I think can be done without most of the time, the exception being inappropriate, rude, and malice filled remarks that are not only politically incorrect but just mean, ugly and spiteful and have no right to be in the english language to begin with.

I loathe the term "political correctness". I think it's really sad that we have to come up with a derogatory label for TRYING TO DO THE RIGHT THING. Yes, people go overboard with it... but people go overboard with any new social concept. Look what we've done with the simple idea that children need some kind of structured activity in their lives. So no, I can't really see anything wrong with the idea that we should stop to consider whether our words/actions are likely to be offensive or hurtful. Or how accepting our own responsibility for perpetuating negative stereotypes is a bad thing.

Mindfulness. Acknowledging the power of language to shape our thinking in ways we usually aren't even aware of.

Bottom line for me... anything that helps break down "us/them" thinking ultimately improves EVERYONE'S quality of life... or in other words, "makes the world a better place". And in the end that IS the most important issue... we will NEVER make any progress at creating a better, fairer world as long as we can deny others' humanity by labeling them as "those people".

For one to be tolerant does not necessarily mean that one is political correct and vice versa. The two are not cohorts, so to speak.

Tolerance is not to accept ones views as your own, it is to be fair and objective toward someone else's views even if they are different then yours. Do I think we need to embrace that idea and concept - HELL YES.

Being political correct on the other hand is just a formality, which I think can be done without most of the time, the exception being inappropriate, rude, and malice filled remarks that are not only politically incorrect but just mean, ugly and spiteful and have no right to be in the english language to begin with.

Fixed...& totally correct. ;)

I loathe the term "political correctness". I think it's really sad that we have to come up with a derogatory label for TRYING TO DO THE RIGHT THING. Yes, people go overboard with it... but people go overboard with any new social concept. Look what we've done with the simple idea that children need some kind of structured activity in their lives. So no, I can't really see anything wrong with the idea that we should stop to consider whether our words/actions are likely to be offensive or hurtful. Or how accepting our own responsibility for perpetuating negative stereotypes is a bad thing.

Mindfulness. Acknowledging the power of language to shape our thinking in ways we usually aren't even aware of.

Bottom line for me... anything that helps break down "us/them" thinking ultimately improves EVERYONE'S quality of life... or in other words, "makes the world a better place"...and in the end that IS the most important issue... we will NEVER make any progress at creating a better, fairer world as long as we can deny others' humanity by labeling them as "those people".

...also fixed...& totally correct.

You two Ladies just saved me an hour of sifting through me thoughts...here's to the wavelength.

*lifts the chalice*

The only reason I have a problem with the "tolerance" camp is that they are picking and choosing things to tolerate. Now, I am supposed to tolerate what they like but when I talked about smoking, even in my own house, they said that it shouldn't be tolerated. As far as I am concerned unless it is a crime in our society then I will RESPECT their rights, needs, or wants...but this tolerate stuff sounds kinda half-assed and a little to pick-and-choose to be effective. I believe that if if continues the way it is that the finger pointing and the name calling will just be coming from the other side of the table.

And as far as the political correctness goes it is obvious that we should watch what we say. However, we all come from different places and different live so sometime we say things that are a little different. That is not wrong. Some people don't know any better and say some rude things...thats not wrong you need to TELL them what is right before bitting their heads off. I am just sick of these people or groups of people going on what I can only describe as "holy quests" to clean up the way we interact. Now when I am in class or in public there are MANY times where I either don't say anything at all or say very little. Why? Because I don't know what to say so that I am "correct" and if I mess up I am going to get another F on my grade.

Edited by candyman

The only reason I have a problem with the "tolerance" camp is that they are picking and choosing things to tolerate. Now, I am supposed to tolerate what they like but when I talked about smoking, even in my own house, they said that it shouldn't be tolerated. As far as I am concerned unless it is a crime in our society then I will RESPECT

...I doubt they could tolerate me with no nicotine in my system...

Tolerance is something that we need as a society. Just because a few people don't understand the true meaning of "tolerance," it doesn't mean that it's not still something we all should strive for.

Political correctness, on the other hand... I agree that we all need to be respectful and watch what we say, but the ever-changing line-up of "correct" terms for things and people is tiresome at best.

Tolerance is me not punching you in the face when I disagree. Its not withholding my opinion in order to not offend. I personally dislike political correctness because in New Zealand it has resulted in racism, not negative against a specific one but my own, the ethnic race, gets undue benefits due to my blood. I believe any type of racism is wrong.

Political correctness is a funny thing from my view, its like a lot of other things the western world does, gives the minority a greater voice at the loss of some of the freedom of speech or actions of the majority. I am not saying the minority should be ignored don't get me wrong; but I am saying the majority have a voice too.

"As far as I am concerned unless it is a crime in our society then I will RESPECT"

Keep in mind laws are pick and choose from society too.

I think we might as well dump everything and go back to the origins of the Constitution and restructure what politicians should make by the citizens of the US. They along with CEOs of corporations are making way too much off of our taxpayer dollar. I have no problem when a CEO makes what the company profits from, but when politics is involved and they are bailed out from us, then in return charge us billions in fees and charges, things should be changed. Policy in politics is entirely corrupt.

I think we might as well dump everything and go back to the origins of the Constitution and restructure what politicians should make by the citizens of the US. They along with CEOs of corporations are making way too much off of our taxpayer dollar. I have no problem when a CEO makes what the company profits from, but when politics is involved and they are bailed out from us, then in return charge us billions in fees and charges, things should be changed. Policy in politics is entirely corrupt.

If two more states jump on it we will have a good look at the constitution.

Here, here!