Depression

Raev

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Depression... the best thing to do for me when I am depressed is SOMETHING. Not watch TV or drift in my head but something.... Cook, Go for a walk, Take a shower, Write, Sex (Jerk Off if no sex available), play with the dog, Socialize, Go get grocieries..... ANYTHING that keeps part of my mind active.

Thats just about the only thing thats kept me alive for so long. Especially the socialize part, sometimes when i get depressed i tend to isolate which makes things worse. I will just be lying in bed listening to music or watching something, and will have to force myself out. I say to myself "Dustin get off your ass and get out that fucking door". Having the best friends a guy could ask for helps too.

• 1 month later...

Thats just about the only thing thats kept me alive for so long. Especially the socialize part, sometimes when i get depressed i tend to isolate which makes things worse. I will just be lying in bed listening to music or watching something, and will have to force myself out. I say to myself "Dustin get off your ass and get out that fucking door". Having the best friends a guy could ask for helps too.

that's what I normally do as well, isolate.

Edited by kat

• 1 year later...

It's been hitting me hard lately, think I'll try isolation

You understand they're saying isolation is bad for depression, right?

I'm currently going through what's been years of up and down depression. Mine is motivational rather than emotional. Long boring story I won't get into. But about the only thing that keeps me from sitting in bed all day is my understanding that interacting with people keeps me at least a bare minimum of active. Talking to people online, interacting with my husband, etc. He's seen me when I have a chance to get out of the house - which isn't often - and the difference is strong. Socialization energizes me. I'm starved for it.

Watch the online stuff. Between 2002 and 2005 when I lived in even more isolated circumstances in another state, DGN became an obsession. I basically did it 8 hours a day, M-F until my husband got off work. Refresh, refresh, refresh in the hopes that someone would post SOMETHING new I could read or respond to.

These days, I try to limit how much time I spend on message boards and the like. Facebook has become a bit of a problem in this regard. I'm working on it.

I personally am looking at getting some counseling and possibly getting back on Wellbutrin. Again, long story. But I was on it for a while around 2007 and it helped me immensely. I took myself off it and shouldn't have, but again, long story.

Get out. Even if it's to go to the library and read there instead of in your room at home. Look up discussion groups where you can interact with people over particular subjects. Or try to start one about anything. That's something I would do now if there wasn't a vehicle issue.

My present viewpoint is that depression only works through dualism, which only works through too much belief in language. With language comes the potential to create contracting and negative emotion. There has to be consistant effort to keep linguistically thinking in ways which will keep these contractive emotions going, which drowns out consciousness, which is inherently non-dualistic.