Depeche Mode in Toronto

I'm reading the pages on the Depeche Mode official forum about the Toronto show, and I've seen about 3-4 different people mention driving up from Detroit! Are any of you on here? Is anyone I know planning to make this drive (besides, well, people who will be in my car)? XD

I'm very very excited!!

i won't be going to this show but i recommend others do. i've seen dm a few times over the years and one of those times was in toronto. i don't know what it is but the whole atmosphere and feel of the show there was 100X better than the last 2 times i have seen them in the detroit area. i used to spend a lot of time in toronto when i lived in buffalo and i guess most of the shows i went to seemed funner now that i think about it. plus it's just an amazing city with so much to do during the day and night.

i won't be going to this show but i recommend others do. i've seen dm a few times over the years and one of those times was in toronto. i don't know what it is but the whole atmosphere and feel of the show there was 100X better than the last 2 times i have seen them in the detroit area. i used to spend a lot of time in toronto when i lived in buffalo and i guess most of the shows i went to seemed funner now that i think about it. plus it's just an amazing city with so much to do during the day and night.

Though anyone who doesn't have tickets would have a hard time...it's completely sold out (inc lawn).

It's going to be a great show!

Unfortunately I haven't been able to find a good club for Sat night! Savage Garden closed and there doesn't seem to be much going on. D:

report pls

Yeah, you know, it was all right...

Hahaha who am I kidding, it was great. Fucking stupendous. :D:D I'm actually just writing about it in my journal, so I'll give you some copy posta. XD

Toronto was great. Depeche Mode was great. I do have to admit that I now realize I just don't enjoy the big shows like I do the little ones, so I'll probably avoid them in the future - but then, the only band I'd probably ever want to see there is Depeche Mode, and I would go again for them. All the other bands I'm a big fan of would always play small venues, which I'm cool with. XD

The show was good, and they played most of my favorites, and wonderfully. I was really really hoping for In Your Room and especially Waiting for the Night to Fall, and they played both. No World in Your Eyes or Lillian but not too surprised. Precious was the only song off of Playing the Angel. They played all the 'oldies but goodies' - Strangelove (with an incredibly strange video), Master and Servant, Walking in My Shoes, Never Let Me Down, Fly on the Windscreen, and of course the obligatory Enjoy the Silence (the presence of which, do not get me wrong, I do not mind in the SLIGHTEST). They played quite a few from the new album: In Chains, Wrong, Hole to Feed, Come Back, Little Soul... Anyway, a shitton of awesome songs. :D

They didn't chatter much though, pretty much just played song after song. I missed the talking - I enjoy listening to the bands speak. I was a little disappointed in that. Oh well.

A LOT of pot around us too. I guess it's a lot more common in Canada. Goddamn. It was bad enough at NIN. I think I may be done with lawn shows for this reason, unless it's Mode again. I'd be willing to put up with it for them. But then, when they come again I may just fork out for the better tickets. A lot of money, but it'd be worth it.

It was Martin's birthday the day before, so of course we sang Happy Birthday to him.

Favorite video was played for Enjoy the Silence and was the three of them as astronauts. There was this big round ball of video in the middle in front of the huge normal screen. It was pretty weird. The astronauts kept moving so whoever was in the middle was positioned to have the ball as their head so it was huge and round. XD Pretty fun. Most random video was for In Chains and had a young black boy and old white man next to each other, and they morphed into each other. What a touching message...only completely trite and overdone and had nothing to do with the song. Weird but okays. The big ball during this one had a woman climbing, like as if she was on stairmaster or something, and her clothes kept changing. Very just random. Most 'somehow can't divert eyes' video was for Strangelove, and had two almost naked women, a redhead and an Asian, and the Asian was sucking on the toes of the redhead. They walked in, sucked toes, and walked out. Strange. Very strange. Sometimes the video showed recorded video of the band members dancing, and sometimes it showed live closeups of them performing right then. Overall I don't care for the videos...I came to see them live, not some other random thing, and I'm on the lawn, so unless the videos are there to show me the band, I don't want it. I liked it when they showed the band live (last instance described above), and didn't like it the rest of the time. Eh. (On that note I liked how VNV did video, as an accent to their playing, not as a centerpiece. The band should be the centerpiece, and live, not recorded.)

What else...I guess that's about all I have to say about the show for now, other than that luckily it did NOT rain during the show proper (YAY omg), but had rained a lot the day before and earlier in the day, so the lawn was still a mudpit and my blanket was pretty much mud-colored by the end. Oh well, no biggie! :D Oh, and I spent a LOT of money on merch. XD

I don't usually write show reports, so this probably is not very good of one, but there you have it anyway. XD

• 3 weeks later...

WTF?!?! Savage Garden closed?!?! Awwwwww, dagnamit!! lol Nightgaunt and I were planning on going to Toronto soon, and were looking forward to going to Savage. I have been to Toronto several times, but never had a chance to make it to Savage Garden :( Pooooooooo!! Sorry for the thread jack! Looks like we will have to find some other trouble to get into! :)

So glad you guys had a great time at the show! I saw them the last time they were around here, and what a kick ass show that was! I agree with Osaka in that I too enjoy smaller venues for more intimate shows.....closer to the artist, better view, and less chance of having to be harassed by pot smoke :)

Edited by ~Tszura~

WTF?!?! Savage Garden closed?!?! Awwwwww, dagnamit!! lol Nightgaunt and I were planning on going to Toronto soon, and were looking forward to going to Savage. I have been to Toronto several times, but never had a chance to make it to Savage Garden :( Pooooooooo!! Sorry for the thread jack! Looks like we will have to find some other trouble to get into! :)

So glad you guys had a great time at the show! I saw them the last time they were around here, and what a kick ass show that was! I agree with Osaka in that I too enjoy smaller venues for more intimate shows.....closer to the artist, better view, and less chance of having to be harassed by pot smoke :)

Neutral a couple streets north is pretty good...a bit small and not as good as City but decent.