What got you interested in "Goth"

Charles Crowe

The Heavy Metal Movie when I was ten. The song "Veteran of the Psychic Wars" by the Blue Oyster Cult in the opening of the first story (Harry Canyon,) was what flipped the switch. Was kind of outside of most of society until I did my gaming conventions and started hanging around like-minded people.

Long story... but I will sum up.

The beginnings:

I was the younger of two brothers, therefore I was always the decepticons, cobra, etc... I was also always the "bad guy" when playing war, starwars, etc...

Youth:

I was picked on a lot in Junior High... I mean A LOT. All of the "cool" and "popular" kids picked on me, as well as most of the ones who were not cool or popular, I was more or less the sub basement of Junior High popularity, even the nerds picked on me. But in this basement at the age of 12 I found certain things, Tangerine Dream, Ministry, Depeche Mode, The Cure, The Banshees... and they seemed to have no issues with me. I noticed that the stranger I acted and the more out there my behavior the less I was bullied. I also liked the DEATH METAL

Then the way women looked and dressed.... OMG there was nothing in the world more beautiful then punk/goth girls... it is the truth as I know it. Goth chicks JUST PLAIN RULE AND ARE SEXY AS HELL.

Now:

I just seem to find more like minded people in this genre of art, dark, and stuff....

Then the way women looked and dressed.... OMG there was nothing in the world more beautiful then punk/goth girls... it is the truth as I know it. Goth chicks JUST PLAIN RULE AND ARE SEXY AS HELL.

qft even better if they have mowhawks :drool

Now:

I just seem to find more like minded people in this genre of art, dark, and stuff....

Same here. Basically it's just what I evolved into... I think that happened to a lot of us first-gen punks, those of us who still fly a freak flag seem to be either goth or hippies now. I tried to get with the hippie thing, but knew it wouldn't work when my boyfriend & I ended up rolling around the lawn punching each other at this big hippie party out in Bath. LOL they were all trying to act like they couldn't see us or hear us shrieking obscenities at each other. So here I am!

I like that there are a lot of other damaged or just miswired people who can at least come close to understanding me.

I do like the style more than the music... most of it (at least the more clubby stuff) is just repetitive & annoying. But I guess that's what everyone says about whatever genre they don't care for!

Goth? what's that? :evil: Yeah, I know, that's another thread altogether.

*whispers* I see goth people.. they're everywhere!

Actually, I don't really consider myself goth, yes, I love the music, I love the people, I love the look, I'm always dressed appropriately, but I'm more of a camelion, I tend to fit in with my surroundings. I'm as comfortable wearing khaki as I am vinyl. I PREFER goth people, because oddly enough, they're the most friendly and accepting.

Edited by hunhee

I've been goth since the day I was born. Was never an option for me...actually when I was 13 I thought I INVENTED it. I still think I did... :whistle: (J/K sadly).

Marilyn Manson invented goth..... DUH?

I'm not entirely clear on what the term means, but I'm pretty sure I'm not it. That said, I've often ended up hanging out with people who could be considered goth, or those who consider themselves goth simply because they were more open to my outlandish thoughts and opinions than the vast majority of people.

My mother was kinda gothy, so I was just raised that way I suppose. Then I started hanging out with goth kids and it just made me get into it even more. Watching The Adams Family was an influence as well.

Edited by bean water