Purple Moon Nightclub Flint MI(need help)

So, I have been hired as the Purple Moon Nightclubs new PR, and Web design expert.

I am in need of help and assistance from my friends here, who are deep into the scene of alternative/goth/industrial music industry.

The Purple Moon Nightclub is a venue that rents out the place, you can see the inside here purplemoon

You see it has immense potential...

the only problem...It is in Flint MI, right on Dort hwy. >_>

The only people who rent out the place are Local R&B artists, and the gay community.

:(

The hiring manager and owner both hate this fact...not because of racism and bigotry, but because the club is meant to appeal to ALL entertainment, and scenes.

Its too bad, though...that there aren't enough of those in the rock/goth/alternative/industrial scene in flint who are even aware of the potential.

If any of you have any ideas, suggestions, or people whom I can contact who would like to rent out the venue to bring a fresh scene and group to this area of flint, and who may find the venue aesthetically pleasing and the area convenient for them, drop me a line in my inbox on here, or let me know in the thread. ^_^

Thanks.

Its well appreciated.

OH and let me know what you think of the place!

Also we need a good photographer to take pictures of the events, and crowd...^_^(i can do it but I'm only getting paid so much)

The ones that are up are outdated...and its my job to gut and update the site you will be viewing that I had linked you to above.

Edited by asphyxian_doll

Ouch, Flint is a trek for me so I doubt I'd be there any time soon. It looks FANTASTIC, the layout from what I saw is nice, everything has a good flow, I hope it still looks that good considering you said the photos were old.

Then again I like the biker/car club feel of The Machine Shop up there.

Seriously what you want to do is talk to the owners about setting up a regular club night and NOT renting it out. Most people in this scene don't have that kind of loot. Make it a regular night too.

Can the place be set up for bands with a stage? Make a stage and do bands if so. Bring in a sound guy as a consultant if needed.

Until that happens though you're not going to get many from our crowd there. Glad you found a job though. Maybe you can get Wilhelm to throw something there since he knows a lot of the techno scene.

Ouch, Flint is a trek for me so I doubt I'd be there any time soon. It looks FANTASTIC, the layout from what I saw is nice, everything has a good flow, I hope it still looks that good considering you said the photos were old.

Then again I like the biker/car club feel of The Machine Shop up there.

Seriously what you want to do is talk to the owners about setting up a regular club night and NOT renting it out. Most people in this scene don't have that kind of loot. Make it a regular night too.

Can the place be set up for bands with a stage? Make a stage and do bands if so. Bring in a sound guy as a consultant if needed.

Until that happens though you're not going to get many from our crowd there. Glad you found a job though. Maybe you can get Wilhelm to throw something there since he knows a lot of the techno scene.

Yeah it has a good stage for bands, and I will definitely take your advice and push it.

They need a swift kick into reality.

Most of problem is the hiring manager, also manages the entertainment and Nights, and Franc doesn't give her enough information...there is a major communication gap that I'm going to fill...>_> unfortunately I'll be only paid 8 bucks an hour, for 8 hours a week, to help maintain their websites, and promotion.

I've got my work cut out for me, but I'd rather be doing this because I see major potential, and heh... little money is better than none at all.

Plus it'll be good for my portfolio. I've copyrighted every piece of art and graphic design I've done for the place so far...including the myspace layout, and logo designs.

Edited by asphyxian_doll

This has nothing whatever to do with the matter at hand, but... I went to a Lifestyle party there once... one of our first. Nice place, good layout, should've been perfect for a swinger M&G... but really weird vibe, all these people there who looked like they'd been dragged there in shackles and would rather be at the dentist or being audited by the IRS. The people who actually seemed to be enjoying themselves were hella cliquish, like their parents had warned them not to talk to pervy strangers. No joy for PervyPair that night. Can't remember which club was doing the party but we didn't go back.

Edited by pomba gira

This has nothing whatever to do with the matter at hand, but... I went to a Lifestyle party there once... one of our first. Nice place, good layout, should've been perfect for a swinger M&G... but really weird vibe, all these people there who looked like they'd been dragged there in shackles and would rather be at the dentist or being audited by the IRS. The people who actually seemed to be enjoying themselves were hella cliquish, like their parents had warned them not to talk to pervy strangers. No joy for PervyPair that night. Can't remember which club was doing the party but we didn't go back.

I doubt it was Purple moon.

Never know....O.o

I doubt it was Purple moon.

Never know....O.o

It was definitely the place... recognize the name, location, and pix. It made an impression on me 'cos I liked the layout & decor so much... and I have particular memories of the "Moon room". This was in '07; whatever club was sponsoring the event did a few more parties there that year but haven't heard of any since then.

It is definitely a gorgeous place w/lots of potential!

So, I have been hired as the Purple Moon Nightclubs new PR, and Web design expert.

I am in need of help and assistance from my friends here, who are deep into the scene of alternative/goth/industrial music industry.

The Purple Moon Nightclub is a venue that rents out the place, you can see the inside here purplemoonnightclub.

You see it has immense potential...

the only problem...It is in Flint MI, right on Dort hwy. >_>

The only people who rent out the place are Local R&B artists, and the gay community.

:(

The hiring manager and owner both hate this fact...not because of racism and bigotry, but because the club is meant to appeal to ALL entertainment, and scenes.

Its too bad, though...that there aren't enough of those in the rock/goth/alternative/industrial scene in flint who are even aware of the potential.

If any of you have any ideas, suggestions, or people whom I can contact who would like to rent out the venue to bring a fresh scene and group to this area of flint, and who may find the venue aesthetically pleasing and the area convenient for them, drop me a line in my inbox on here, or let me know in the thread. ^_^

Thanks.

Its well appreciated.

OH and let me know what you think of the place!

Also we need a good photographer to take pictures of the events, and crowd...^_^(i can do it but I'm only getting paid so much)

The ones that are up are outdated...and its my job to gut and update the site you will be viewing that I had linked you to above.

They must be limited in bandwidth big time unless you are currently working on the site. I kept getting a page that couldn't be found. Are you working on it at quarter after 10am?

They must be limited in bandwidth big time unless you are currently working on the site. I kept getting a page that couldn't be found. Are you working on it at quarter after 10am?

I was thinking the same thing. The images that are at the main page have a really limited color palette. Who does that these days? Sure you have to keep your fill sizes reasonable but I haven't seen images like those for years...

I might be interested in the photography stuff. Depends what and what the pay is.

I used to live right down the street from that place, in the little court next to Nathan's. I'm sure your dad remembers. Purple Moon used to be scary, back in those days. Lots of shoot-outs and rumbles. I always wondered why such an upscale-looking place attracted a lot of the troublemakers. I sure hope the joint has calmed down, since then! :sofa:

I was thinking the same thing. The images that are at the main page have a really limited color palette. Who does that these days? Sure you have to keep your fill sizes reasonable but I haven't seen images like those for years...

I might be interested in the photography stuff. Depends what and what the pay is.

regarding that, I haven't been able to work on it AT ALL...:( I work this tuesday and wednesday.

O_o

And I had to download a ner ftp server.....I don't think they will be having me re-do the site.

I wish I COULD. They need some serious updating.

I used to live right down the street from that place, in the little court next to Nathan's. I'm sure your dad remembers. Purple Moon used to be scary, back in those days. Lots of shoot-outs and rumbles. I always wondered why such an upscale-looking place attracted a lot of the troublemakers. I sure hope the joint has calmed down, since then! :sofa:

You know...it is the management.

It really is...

They barely ever talk to the owner...information is never really solid, and its all R&B.

SO it attracts a lot of troublemakers due to the lack of effort on the part of club management and promotion.

I think they expect ME to turn it around....with just a measly 8 bucks an hour and only 8 hours a week.

She said she MAY raise my pay if I do a good job....

and to be completely honest, I can't attract a different crowd, with just promotional work as good as I may do my job.

They really need to take it seriously. It worries me.

:\

Everything is going great,^_^ Anyone know of Promoters, or people who would like to use the venue for a regular once a month Industrial night?

If we can get it going and get at least 300 people in, once a month,(even 150 people is a good start)it can become more regular, and finally we can cultivate a good industrial scene here in Flint/genessee area...

Honestly...The machine shop has horrid ventilation,

and ALL of the bars in the surrounding area's are dirty.

Purple moon is GORGEOUS, and if we can get One or Two serious Promoters to rent the venue, and hire a good DJ that targets the Goth Industrial scene, we're in business. ;)

Just putting this out here on DGN again, I feel this is the best place to outsource...amongst family.

Let me know if you know anyone who does promotional work, or anyone who would like to spread out and find other venues besites the works, city, and necto, etc.

First and foremost, please trash their event gallery. If one puts up photos of backpackers in shabby yuppie clothes, one is going to get promoters who make shows for backpackers in shabby yuppie clothes. Show photos of the experiences you want in the bar.

I like the art, but art mixed with real shots in the club would be nicer.

And lastly, for your sanity and your resume, do not roll your own CMS. Do not roll your own calendar at that wage. Template a CMS or blog with good plugins and a wide userbase like Ning or Woodpress. You want to be able to leave and be without internets and yet be able to talk a not so tech savvy person through the process of updating the site.

First and foremost, please trash their event gallery. If one puts up photos of backpackers in shabby yuppie clothes, one is going to get promoters who make shows for backpackers in shabby yuppie clothes. Show photos of the experiences you want in the bar.

I like the art, but art mixed with real shots in the club would be nicer.

And lastly, for your sanity and your resume, do not roll your own CMS. Do not roll your own calendar at that wage. Template a CMS or blog with good plugins and a wide userbase like Ning or Woodpress. You want to be able to leave and be without internets and yet be able to talk a not so tech savvy person through the process of updating the site.

I will have to talk to them about more photos....And like you said, with my wage...I don't even want to go THAT far. I'd love to...but honestly, I need to see more $ before I become a photographer/web designer/graphic designer/ prmoter/ slave. :O

As for CMS, I just update the website...myspace, ning(beat you to it xD)and twitter. I don't do much.

And I will....be asking for a raise after about 90 days.

Its fair.

My only thing, is I'm just trying to get an Industrial/Goth night going ONCE a month.

If I can't do that with the club the way its running now, I'll write down a list of suggestions you guys throw at me, show it to the owner, if he refuses, I'll tell him its not happening.

I know innovative, creative and new ideas for a club is doable, but you STILL have to follow set guidelines...like

NOT charging a promoter, &

paying the promoter instead.

The owner tends to want his cake and eat it to.

If he doesn't budge...I'll say this, I'm sticking to Myspace editing and plugging in HTML.

I won't even touch the Promotion/dirty work.

It won't be worth it unless there is a payoff.

Edited by asphyxian_doll

Do the work, seriously. If you want to see it succeed you'll do it. They don't have the money to pay me usually and I do the work. I make the door at The Works and it's split between all the DJs. At The Ritz I'm the only DJ but it's also split with the door guy there and Jeff who manages the night if we even make enough. Tonight he just gave it to the door guy, the guest DJ, and myself, and he ended up IN THE HOLE with his bar tab buying all the girls drinks (for good reason though) and my food. Both clubs are awesome but they need to be promoted way more and then when they start bringing in the people I and the rest of the staff can get paid better. If we don't draw, we don't get paid, that's just how it works, however if the place gets PACKED we get PAID WELL instead of just gas and food money.

Watch the place, and if it generates more people from your work ask for more money. If YOU throw an event there ask for the entire door. People go to Ohio for events if they're good enough so I can't see why they wouldn't go to Flint, but you have to have something there first.

Also your name is asphyxian doll and you're complaining about not being able to breathe, it's kind of ironic in a way. Anyhow the machine shop still wins until I see the other place, and I hate smoke too.

Yeah, I noticed you had a ning network before I posted. You really should try to see if he's willing to pay the extra $$$ to simply use ning as his website/social network. It's only like $5 or so. Besides, anything solely web tends to be a lot easier to update.

Also, you should be using PNG24 for the graphics that are transparent. GIF doesn't handle transparency very well. I've seen both side by side recently.

As for your wage, if he's expecting you to do html, php, css, updates and photo editing, he probably should be paying in the neighborhood of 2-3 times what you are currently p aid. He should know that one has to spend money to make money. Learn to negotiate from this experience because creative time is immensely valuable. Money buys our priority, not our time.

hmm.. i did not see this thread before.. some people in my troop have mentioned trying to throw one of our events there! please PM me privately to disscuss!

maria aka IvyCat

Oblivion Entertainment

Owner / director

Yeah, I noticed you had a ning network before I posted. You really should try to see if he's willing to pay the extra $$$ to simply use ning as his website/social network. It's only like $5 or so. Besides, anything solely web tends to be a lot easier to update.

Also, you should be using PNG24 for the graphics that are transparent. GIF doesn't handle transparency very well. I've seen both side by side recently.

As for your wage, if he's expecting you to do html, php, css, updates and photo editing, he probably should be paying in the neighborhood of 2-3 times what you are currently p aid. He should know that one has to spend money to make money. Learn to negotiate from this experience because creative time is immensely valuable. Money buys our priority, not our time.

^_^ Thank you for the useful advice.

I don't do much html, php, css or anything else, but I do strongly agree.

It will be discussed.