Make-up Brands you recommend

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

e.l.f. has SOME nice stuff. Don't like mascara or liquid eyeliner pens AT ALL. The creme eyeshadows are translucent, but nice. What they do well is have a product (comes in a four color compact) of shadows that rival HIP for intensity, but they need better colors. e.l.f. (eyes, lips, face) does NOT test on animals and their products are vegan and inexpensive. Available on-line only right now from what I can tell.

I've seen that stuff at a couple grocery stores around here... didn't see anything that really caught my eye, and I'm leery of the really cheap stuff. Maybe I'll look for the shadow quad next time.

Finally tried the eyeshadow.....

The colours are good and I had no reaction to the makeup whatsoever, but if you want the colour to be a bit more vibrant, add another layer of eyeshadow. That is all.

Definitely going to keep my eyes open for more of this brand, or order online. =3

I like Covergirl Clean in ivory or Neutrogena SPF 95 sunblock dusted with with CG translucent or plain old corn starch. I use cornstarch to avoid talc in loose powder.

I'll use either NYC or Manic Panic liquid eyeliner if I want the blackest black or any retractable pencil for precision. However, the best pencils that I've ever had were some Maybelline red pencils. They're the kind you take a lighter to.

CookiePuss, if you can find it, makes a very great loose eye dust. If I want a grunge look, I'll use Manic Panic.

For stage, I recommend Kryolan and Mehron. Lynch's House of Sequins carries both. Kryolan Aquacolors when applied right works very well and does not easily come off. I've tried Graftobian's eye shadows and wasn't pleased because their black wasn't black enough. Of course, one does not have pure black on stage.

I agree with Tygerlili and Megalicious. Cheap make-up never seems to blend or last as long. All of my cheap stuff has gotten relegated to make-up for halloween costumes, or if I am in an absolute pinch and have run out of my every day stuff.

I love the mac and chanel foundations. Sephora's loose glitter is amazing. Benefits Bad Gal Lash rocks my socks mascara-wise. For eyeshadow, either urban decay or chanel. Aveda's Inner Light loose powder is pretty amazing as well.

Edited by pleasurekatzen

• 4 weeks later...

Max Factor PanStik is still one of my favourite products. It works wonderfully as a concealer, beneath powdered mineral foundation. It is my firm belief, that these two things combined, make for the best complexion in photographs. Be sure to use a mineral veil, or oil-absorbing powder over top.

Another boon to female kind, is indelible lipcolour. My #1 choice brand is Revlon ColorStay Overtime. WOW, does this stuff stay on! Especially the nude and sheer shades (Bare Maximum totally rawks). I have worn the same lipstick for nearly two days, before. This stuff is killer. Second runner up is Maybelline Superstay. My fave shade in this brand is Coral. An honourable mention goes to Covergirl Outlast Double Lip Shine. The product smells yummy, unlike most of these stay-on brands (lip rouge smells of strawberry, and the topcoat of marshmallow creme). They also have some lovely shades of red. Unfortunately, it does not have the staying power of the other two. It tends to succumb easily to the slightest amount of greasy food.

My fave mascara is Revlon Lash Fantasy. I'm still looking for a waterproof formula that is comparable. Any suggestions?

I also preach the wonders of Wet and Wild's taupe eyebrow pencil. This stuff is my old stand by. It holds up very nicely, when set with translucent powder. I've also been known to use a brown felt-tipped marker, for stage makeup.

Any makeup that can hold up through hot lights, perspiration, and lunch, is worth its weight in gold.

Another boon to female kind, is indelible lipcolour. My #1 choice brand is Revlon ColorStay Overtime. WOW, does this stuff stay on! Especially the nude and sheer shades (Bare Maximum totally rawks). I have worn the same lipstick for nearly two days, before. This stuff is killer. Second runner up is Maybelline Superstay. My fave shade in this brand is Coral. An honourable mention goes to Covergirl Outlast Double Lip Shine. The product smells yummy, unlike most of these stay-on brands (lip rouge smells of strawberry, and the topcoat of marshmallow creme). They also have some lovely shades of red. Unfortunately, it does not have the staying power of the other two. It tends to succumb easily to the slightest amount of greasy food.

None of the transfer-proof stuff comes in any shades I like. It's getting harder & harder to find a really dark plum in any line... even Iman discontinued my favorite "Digital Berry". Sigh... where will I find my dream lipstick that's DARK and actually stays on...?

None of the transfer-proof stuff comes in any shades I like. It's getting harder & harder to find a really dark plum in any line... even Iman discontinued my favorite "Digital Berry". Sigh... where will I find my dream lipstick that's DARK and actually stays on...?

I've been dreaming of finding transfer-proof lipcolour in black or electric blue, but with no luck. I'm surprised that none of the makeup companies have come out with limited edition shades for Halloween, even!

You know, PG, that you can buy this stuff, and put it on over any brand of lipstick. It really does work. ;) It's a bit pricey, but this is the best product I have found. Lipchick may be the way for you to go, if you can't find a transfer-proof shade you like.

I highly recommend: Guerlain (my favorite), Chanel, Christian Dior, and Clarins.

Christian Dior makes an excellent spray on foundation. Goes on smoothly, and doesn't feel heavy on my face like most foundations I've tried. If only I had $60 to spend...

I like Rimmel's make-up.

Thanks for the heads-up on L'Oreal Brenda!

You're welcome. You can go to the Peta site to see who DOESN'T test on animals.

Eye Shadow - Wet & Wild (their multi-color sets are awesome)

Foundation - Cover Girl

Wet & Wild does NOT test on animals. Cover Girl (owned by Proctor & Gamble) DOES test on animals, and has for MANY years. I worked part-time in their warehouse way back when. I got this shit on good authority. I instantly quit.

Thanks for the L'Oreal dirt, Brenda... I have a shitload of HIP but won't be buying anymore!

BTW, most drugstore chains will accept returns on makeup. I'd never try new stuff otherwise! Not sure about Walgreens but I know Rite Aid and CVS do. Meijer also.

You're welcome. I tossed mine because I felt like shit. My favorite red haircolor is from L'Oreal. I won't be using it EVER again. And yes, most will take returns. Be aware that Maybelline and Lancome are also tested on animals, too. Lancome (and Maybelline...I think) is/are subsidiaries of L'Oreal.

Also, just wanted to let you guys know that you can get MAC at a discounted price at the Sak's outlet at Great Lakes Crossing. Maybe only a $5 per product or so difference, but still...

Good to know!

*Sorry I am a MAC girl*

I feel the same as D, I would rather pay $20.00 for a shadow I know will blend flawlessly

Not all cheap shadows are hard to blend. If you have the skill, it CAN be done. I will fight that theory to my death.

I agree with Tygerlili and Megalicious. Cheap make-up never seems to blend or last as long.

See above. There are also department store brands that have proven time and time again to be equally as bad. I know what I'm talking about, as I've worked for almost ALL of them.

You all will find me discussing a LOT of what's Earth and animal-friendly. I'm doing a LOT of research on this!

i'm sad to hear about cover girl testing on animals that stinks. i have a problem finding foundation that doesn't make me itch like mad. pretty much anything "hypoallergenic" i have a major reaction to, neutrogena as well...

on the hunt once again.... my mom swears by clinique i'm thinking i'll have to check it out...

i'm sad to hear about cover girl testing on animals that stinks. i have a problem finding foundation that doesn't make me itch like mad. pretty much anything "hypoallergenic" i have a major reaction to, neutrogena as well...

on the hunt once again.... my mom swears by clinique i'm thinking i'll have to check it out...

I'm not fond of Clinique. The majority of their skincare is alcohol-based. Their foundations break ME out, and I can wear almost anything. Have them test on you, then wear it for the remainder of the day. Usually, if you're going to break out in some sort of rash, it happens almost immediately. I wait a whole day, just to be safe. It gives you the chance to wear it in almost all enviroments to seehow it reacts on your skin.

Just because they're dressed like your gynecologist doesn't mean that they know what they're talking about. =P

Not all cheap shadows are hard to blend. If you have the skill, it CAN be done. I will fight that theory to my death.

See above. There are also department store brands that have proven time and time again to be equally as bad. I know what I'm talking about, as I've worked for almost ALL of them.

I had to re-think my ideas on cheap makeup when I was on Jeopardy, and the makeup artist who worked on me had a goodly amount of Wet & Wild stuff in her kit. And you're right, priceyness doesn't necessarily mean quality... every time I wear Flori Roberts lipstick it ends up all over my face so I look like some demented old crone. It doesn't just creep, it seems to somehow leap onto remote areas of my face.

I had to re-think my ideas on cheap makeup when I was on Jeopardy, and the makeup artist who worked on me had a goodly amount of Wet & Wild stuff in her kit. And you're right, priceyness doesn't necessarily mean quality... every time I wear Flori Roberts lipstick it ends up all over my face so I look like some demented old crone. It doesn't just creep, it seems to somehow leap onto remote areas of my face.

LMAO....

Seriously, a LOT of high-end makeup artist who do major runway work use a LOT of Wet & Wild. It really ISN'T all MAC or Nars, etc. And Flori Roberts and Fashion Fair are INCREDIBLY shitty lines. How the HELL can you buy an OIL-FREE foundation, and still be a greasy chick???

You're welcome. I tossed mine because I felt like shit. My favorite red haircolor is from L'Oreal. I won't be using it EVER again. And yes, most will take returns. Be aware that Maybelline and Lancome are also tested on animals, too. Lancome (and Maybelline...I think) is/are subsidiaries of L'Oreal.

I didn't even think about the hair color. That's a tough one. I'm against animal testing, but L'Oreal Feria and L'Oreal Excellence are the only two boxed brands of hair color that I can stand. I'm very picky when it comes to hair color, I've had bad experiences with other brands.

I really like Lancome, too, but I imagine I wouldn't have too difficult of a time finding comparable products in another brand.

Edited by TygerLili

• 5 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I only use foundation, just pressed powder from Clinique because it's the only makeup that won't cause my skin to break out. Avoid that colorstay shit...it really means colorstay. I bought some, put it on and it wouldn't come off. I use eyeshadow from Rimmel or Maybelline, same with lipstick, lipgloss and eyeliner. I'm not sure if anyone has tried those eyeliner gels from L'oreal, the HIP line...I bought the black and purple and also bought an angled eyeliner brush from Sonia Kashuk, so i'm gonna give that a try.