Make-up Brands you recommend

Basically, what brands do you recommend or like (( or have had no problems with wearing ))?

Personally, I like Jordana for the vibrant eyeliners they have. Their eyeshadow is also good and vibrant, and my skin has no issue with either eyeliner or shadow.

I'm always good with Cover Girl for their shadows and liners. Wet and Wild has a good powder cover-up to water down blemishes. Eyeliner is also good.

I dont wear lipstick, rarely mascara (( as it clumps my lashes together and upon attempting to remove said clumps, I end up pulling out several lashes )).

Also, Rebel from the Bloody Mary brand.... it's slightly more expensive than the brands listed above, but still cheaper than Mac and Urban Decay. I've worn Rebel for about 5 years and never had a break-out or any form of allergic reaction to it. Absolutely wonderful brand. =)

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, I've heard good things about Milani. As for Rebel, for all of you animal conscious folks, Rebel does not test on animals. Says so on the back of the packaging. Look for the little bunny. =)

For my day to day not all too fancy stuff (where i do get the mac/urban decay/random sephora/ulta/boutique stuff)

Mascara - Rimmel

Eye Liner - Hot Topic

Eye Shadow - Wet & Wild (their multi-color sets are awesome)

Blush - Rimmel

Foundation - Cover Girl

btw stargazer is another great eye shadow brand for fancy colors, u can get them online, it's from the UK. prices are pretty decent

I went into my bathroom to see what, if any, cheap stuff I have. I have a Rimmel quad eyeshadow, 2 NYX jumbo eyeshadow sticks, and 2 Revlon lipsticks. I also have an Avon mascara and 3 shimmer powders, but I don't really count those because they were gifts. Hardly any of that stuff ever gets used. Though technically I guess I can count the Ulta brand stuff with those because I only have anything Ulta brand because it was a free gift deal when I bought some Urban Decay stuff, and because I don't think any of what they gave me is very good quality

Everything else is Urban Decay, Make-up Forever, Clinique, Lancome or Bobbi Brown. A friend of mine works for Clinique, so she hooks me up with the free samples she doesn't want.

*Edited to add that the main reason I never buy cheap make-up is that you can't try it on in the store. A $6 eyeshadow might seem like a better deal than a $16 eyeshadow, but when you get it home, the pigment is weak and the color doesn't look good on you, you've just wasted $6.

Edited by TygerLili

Thanks for the L'Oreal dirt, Brenda... I have a shitload of HIP but won't be buying anymore!

Drugstore lines I like: Rimmel, Milani, Black Radiance and Jordana have some interesting eye colors. I also like the Savvy line at Sally Beauty... especially their powder/cake eyeliner which is unbeatable for creating a smoky look that isn't too heavy or smudgy. LA Splash? is a new discovery; so far I've only tried the liquid liners which are wicked sweet... they have some gorgeous shadow colors, too.

For the pricier stuff... Iman is the only foundation/powder I use these days, altho I'll probably be switching to the Flori Roberts side what with the recent changes in the company. Urban Decay of course! Bourjois has some killer stuff but I can't afford it, and the cool items are hard to find on eBay. I used to buy little sample-size MAC shadows on eBay but apparently that's not allowed anymore, so no more MAC for Hille.

BTW, most drugstore chains will accept returns on makeup. I'd never try new stuff otherwise! Not sure about Walgreens but I know Rite Aid and CVS do. Meijer also.

Thanks for the L'Oreal dirt, Brenda... I have a shitload of HIP but won't be buying anymore!

Drugstore lines I like: Rimmel, Milani, Black Radiance and Jordana have some interesting eye colors. I also like the Savvy line at Sally Beauty... especially their powder/cake eyeliner which is unbeatable for creating a smoky look that isn't too heavy or smudgy. LA Splash? is a new discovery; so far I've only tried the liquid liners which are wicked sweet... they have some gorgeous shadow colors, too.

For the pricier stuff... Iman is the only foundation/powder I use these days, altho I'll probably be switching to the Flori Roberts side what with the recent changes in the company. Urban Decay of course! Bourjois has some killer stuff but I can't afford it, and the cool items are hard to find on eBay. I used to buy little sample-size MAC shadows on eBay but apparently that's not allowed anymore, so no more MAC for Hille.

BTW, most drugstore chains will accept returns on makeup. I'd never try new stuff otherwise! Not sure about Walgreens but I know Rite Aid and CVS do. Meijer also.

e.l.f. has SOME nice stuff. Don't like mascara or liquid eyeliner pens AT ALL. The creme eyeshadows are translucent, but nice. What they do well is have a product (comes in a four color compact) of shadows that rival HIP for intensity, but they need better colors. e.l.f. (eyes, lips, face) does NOT test on animals and their products are vegan and inexpensive. Available on-line only right now from what I can tell.

e.l.f. has SOME nice stuff. Don't like mascara or liquid eyeliner pens AT ALL. The creme eyeshadows are translucent, but nice. What they do well is have a product (comes in a four color compact) of shadows that rival HIP for intensity, but they need better colors. e.l.f. (eyes, lips, face) does NOT test on animals and their products are vegan and inexpensive. Available on-line only right now from what I can tell.

The Kmart I work at has at least some e.l.f. products. I haven't tried them, but they are very inexpensive. I'd say comparable to wet and wild, price wise.

Oops, I lied. I also have an eyeshadow with 10 colors that I got at Claires on clearance for like $1.50. The pigments are crappy, I wouldn't wear them alone, but they have glitter, so I like to blend them over my other colors sometimes for a sparkly look.

Also, just wanted to let you guys know that you can get MAC at a discounted price at the Sak's outlet at Great Lakes Crossing. Maybe only a $5 per product or so difference, but still...

Edited by TygerLili

Oops, I lied. I also have an eyeshadow with 10 colors that I got at Claires on clearance for like $1.50. The pigments are crappy, I wouldn't wear them alone, but they have glitter, so I like to blend them over my other colors sometimes for a sparkly look.

Also, just wanted to let you guys know that you can get MAC at a discounted price at the Sak's outlet at Great Lakes Crossing. Maybe only a $5 per product or so difference, but still...

My issue with Claire's make-up, and I have two things of eyeshadow from there, thankfully bought on clearance, is that if I use their eyeshadow, a short while later, my eyes feel like I opened them up under water in a chlorined pool.

I hate it. So I havent used it. I know where the small compact is, may throw it out.

Milani.

Is cheap, but is GOOD.

Ohhh that is one of my favorite drug store brands. They have good wet/dry shadows and their lip glosses taste good :)

I never have been for L'oreal at all. Good thing I guess!

I like maybelline has really good eyeshadows. Nice color pay off.

Rimmel is good for their lipsticks and glosses. No much for their shadows or mascaras.

Umm......who else....Covergirl I love their mascaras. Not a fan of their shadows, I find they have very weak pay off. But that's just me.

Other then that I use whatever strikes me.

Oh and I love Sephoras liquid liners. Gotta throw that in there because Im not one for liquid liners and I LOVE theirs!!!!

I want everything they have... & That will just be a good start of what I want :rolleyes:

Oh I know, if I had more cash I would have gotten more colors. I'm disapointed that i couldn't figure out how to get the glitter to stay on my eyes better. I'm not that smart when it comes to make-up stuff.

Guest Megalicious

*Sorry I am a MAC girl*

I feel the same as D, I would rather pay $20.00 for a shadow I know will blend flawlessly, have amazing pigment and last. I do not recommend their brushes however. I have a set of BB brushes that I splurged on myself for christmas. I LOVE THEM AND THEY WERE WORTH EVERY PENNIE!

I have some smashbox stuff I love too.

DUDE!! I just found out that the local grocery store sells the ELF brand makeup! I bought some of the lip balm and the eyeshadow..... however, I havent tried the eyeshadow yet. The lip blam, however, lasts and lasts and freaking LASTS! =D

(( best part is:

$1 buys you an eyeshadow quad

NOT tested on animals

ALL NATURAL ingredients! ))

DUDE!! I just found out that the local grocery store sells the ELF brand makeup! I bought some of the lip balm and the eyeshadow..... however, I havent tried the eyeshadow yet. The lip blam, however, lasts and lasts and freaking LASTS! =D

(( best part is:

$1 buys you an eyeshadow quad

NOT tested on animals

ALL NATURAL ingredients! ))

Ooo, I shall have to check that out...

Oh yes I found ELF a while back. Bought some of their lip gloss an LOVED it.

I found it in a store again last year and bought some more. Still love it!

I did buy their mascara and it was gross. Had this weird smell to it. Not bad, just weird. At least to me. Worked ok, just couldnt stand the scent to it.