What are you about to go do?

Oh_My_Goth

All my past attempts to make post-punk music didn't sound quite right.. because they were too in tune! 

It seems like there has to be a detune effect to get the guitar to sound post-punk, which creates a more bittersweet or dark sound, in my case the original chorus parameters I was using didn't have enough of that effect going on.  Chorus + reverb + delay (including detune).  But it sounds to my ears like the delay could be optional or shouldn't be too overpowering and the reverb with most bands is moderate, not too small, but is below the most extreme/shoegaze levels.  It also sounds like this detuning and chorus (and reverb) is going on with the bass, at least with the gothier post-punk, which is why my bass never sounded right to me trying to get more authentic post-punk sounds.  So even chords and notes that would've sounded positive sound more dark because of the detuning effect.

EDIT: I guess The Cure uses a flanger but that has a detuning effect if I'm not mistaken.

EDIT 2: And if it's going to go goth, all of the instruments except the drums should have the effects so everything has a slightly out of pitch feel.

Edited by Class-Punk

16 minutes ago, WhiteLines said:

I'm back on the road! After the first week off work I've had this year. Got to work tomorrow night, slept the whole truck ride down here.

~~~~~

I'm just trying to figure out who was driving the truck...👀

5 minutes ago, TronRP said:

~~~~~

I'm just trying to figure out who was driving the truck...👀

Theres 4 of us. Bossman drives the truck. I retired from running the show about 3 years ago and started following this guy around.  

Just now, WhiteLines said:

Theres 4 of us. Bossman drives the truck. I retired from running the show about 3 years ago and started following this guy around.  

~~~~~

Ah. Gotcha...

I was having weird memories of train stops in Japan...🤣

• TronRP pinned this topic