What is "goth" ?

Troy Spiral

7 hours ago, et-novum said:

Gothic architecture is beautiful.

Agreed, I just hate that it's mostly associated with churches/religion.  I always want to go check out even some of the older buildings here, maybe document and take photos.  Not really sure how to sell "Hey, your building is beautiful so I want to poke around and take photos but I'm not really interested in the bullshit cult part though." though.

i was just told

i am a 'misfit'

trying to forever

'fix' myself or

'fit in'.

as a goth.

really?

I just have some tastes or traits that SOMEONE ELSE decided FOR me, I was a 'goth'.

I never really wanted to be labelled a this or a that.

46 minutes ago, gwen said:

i was just told

i am a 'misfit'

trying to forever

'fix' myself or

'fit in'.

as a goth.

really?

I just have some tastes or traits that SOMEONE ELSE decided FOR me, I was a 'goth'.

I never really wanted to be labelled a this or a that.

I'm sure I've posted this elsewhere but I can no longer find it.  However I remember being in 6th grade science class and we were leaning about classification of species.  To help explain this they had all the boys and girls separate into groups, and then all the kids with glasses form a group and all the kids without form another group creating four groups.  They kept doing this.

We do this with literary, movie, and music genres.  We do this with architectural and clothing styles.  It's fairly safe to say (though not an exact science) if someone fits an aesthetic of a thing that they probably ascribe to that thing.

I talked to a girl at city in the stairwell last Saturrday.  I called her a goth and she informed me I was wrong.  I said "could have fooled me" and walked off, and as I did I thought of Andrew Eldrich and smiled a bit because I think she'll figure it out sooner or later.

I can't really speak for others, but calling myself anything else than what I am/what I perceive myself to be would only serve as a disservice to myself.

Finally, labels are great because they prevent me from ingesting poison, drinking expired milk, or listening to mindless pop music.

Just now, Raev said:

Like it or not, we're all labeled by someone. 

Can either ignore it, reject it, or embrace it. It's happening anyway. 

I choose to embrace because life is hard enough, may as well throw myself into joy

Sort of reminds me of a quote:

"There comes a time when you look into the mirror and you realize that what you see is all that you will ever be, and then you accept it.  Or you kill yourself.  Or you stop looking in mirrors."  ~ Tennessee Williams

One is letting others define you, the other is defining yourself and coming to terms with that.

10 hours ago, Scary Guy said:

One is letting others define you, the other is defining yourself and coming to terms with that.

The resonates with me. I resisted being goth for a long, long time because I didn't respect myself, didn't really have friends who got it, and also because I wasn't "goth" enough. It took another goth to tell me, "you know, you kinda are a goth" before I *really* let myself define myself that way.

Kinda wish I could've figured this out before now and I'm still definitely a baby bat. But yeah, feels nice to let myself have this.

• 2 weeks later...