What is "goth" ?

Troy Spiral

I guess to me, goth is thinking outside the box, being able to find an inner mental freedom which isn't wholly defined by prevailing norms. It involves dark spheres of experience which few people dare to tread.

Of course, that is a very vague definition, as "the box" and conventions change depending on the time and place. Once upon a time, Buddha with his teaching of annata and dependant origination was "goth" if you look at it in a certain way.

Agreed...

I wish they would ban them a t City again... I honestly don't really know why they let them back in after the first time they banned them :confused:

oh, they are still banned actually. blame the newer members of security and such that didn't know about that though. Aparently someone pointed it out to them that its still written on the wall clear as day when you walk in the door, and they (at least I havn't seen them) aren't allowed in the club anymore.

oh, they are still banned actually. blame the newer members of security and such that didn't know about that though. Aparently someone pointed it out to them that its still written on the wall clear as day when you walk in the door, and they (at least I havn't seen them) aren't allowed in the club anymore.

Difference between glow sticks and light sticks.

Difference between glow sticks and light sticks.

Is NONE. I'm goth, I hate light, ban it all.

Also FUCK THAT FUCKING GREEN ASS LASER THAT SHINES IN MY EYES ALL THE TIME WHEN FACING THE DJ BOOTH ON THE DANCE FLOOR! Someone PLEASE go grab it, rip it off the cord, run to the other side of the dance floor, and toss it out of the window into the dumpster below. Then go park your car next to it to piss on it, then set the dumpster on fire (douse it in gasoline first since it's covered in piss, need an active combustible agent to get it burning).

Bring back the strobe for when the "song gets heavier" at least because that was less annoying. That's why it works as a goth club because Mike is too cheap to buy a decent lighting system for the place. "Ah fuck it lets just make it a goth cub so I can save just a little more money to spend on a plain ticket to Shri Lanka to buy a 12 year old boy, '5 dolla, me love you long time Mr. Higgins'".

Fuck I need to cut down on the sugar.

Is NONE. I'm goth, I hate light, ban it all.

Also FUCK THAT FUCKING GREEN ASS LASER THAT SHINES IN MY EYES ALL THE TIME WHEN FACING THE DJ BOOTH ON THE DANCE FLOOR! Someone PLEASE go grab it, rip it off the cord, run to the other side of the dance floor, and toss it out of the window into the dumpster below. Then go park your car next to it to piss on it, then set the dumpster on fire (douse it in gasoline first since it's covered in piss, need an active combustible agent to get it burning).

Bring back the strobe for when the "song gets heavier" at least because that was less annoying. That's why it works as a goth club because Mike is too cheap to buy a decent lighting system for the place. "Ah fuck it lets just make it a goth cub so I can save just a little more money to spend on a plain ticket to Shri Lanka to buy a 12 year old boy, '5 dolla, me love you long time Mr. Higgins'".

Fuck I need to cut down on the sugar.

Wow.

:rofl:

Someone needs to calm down!! hahaha

• 14 years later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 7/1/2023 at 3:08 PM, Scary Guy said:

Okay, one I was a hilarious little shit back then (I still am, but I was then too.) Two, I have fond a solution to this question and posted it here.

It was 2009 back then buddy, it's okay you get a pass, we were all cringe. 

4 hours ago, Destroit said:

It was 2009 back then buddy, it's okay you get a pass, we were all cringe. 

I was never cringe, and I really haven't changed much since I was 14.  I've always made that a point to try to remain as true to myself as I can.

I will admit to some of my views having changed slightly, but those are very few and I acknowledge that I'm a shittier person now because of that.

a5ca73212e3d8b2ea715f564a58d1e64de6eb07a

30 minutes ago, et-novum said:

I thought we agreed goths were the ones that sacked Rome back in the day

I mean the original ones sure.  However language evolves over time and terms get repurposed.  For example check out: https://ideas.ted.com/20-words-that-once-meant-something-very-different/  Gothic was used to refer to the original Germanic tribes, then a type of architecture, then literature, and then music in the 70s.  I suppose it still means all that depending on the context it's used in.

I'm also pretty sure all of the original goths are dead anyway (how very goth of them) and I doubt they'd mind us using the term.

But this is something that's been said for at least 20 years, and possibly existed for 20 years before I heard it back then.

Now get off my lawn.

5 minutes ago, Scary Guy said:

But this is something that's been said for at least 20 years, and possibly existed for 20 years before I heard it back then.

Lol looks like my flippant comment hit a sore spot. I'm well aware of all this, I quite like goth cultures in all forms. Gothic architecture is beautiful.