Anybody play any instruments?

thewhiterecluse

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I took a few years of piano as a kid. Can't remember much though except the basics. I've been playing drums for a couple decades and learned from an old jazz guy who was a stickler for rudiments so I got pretty damn good if you ask me. Haven't played in a while though as there's no room to set up my kit. I also sing fairly well, baritone. Someday I'd like to learn violin and maybe bass.

though I haven't played the flute since I was in the 7th grade, I was a natural... leaned the instrument in 3 hours... my mom played and she taught me, and I want to pick it up again, and start a hardcore vampire-esk band... if that makes sence...

I can sing, but I need to practice... :)

violin, and guitar. so i got the string instruments.

piano i could play, just not well. i could understand the theory behind it all, but playing in essence 2 instruments can get hard. each hand a independant instrument in it self. unlike guitar or violin. where the notes are controlled with one hand and the other hand controls tempo

What I've played:

flute

bassoon

piano

harpsichord

recorder

krumhorn

cornetta

baritone (as in the brass instrument)

contra-bass clarinet (for a short time)

electric bass guitar (for a short time)

voice

organ (for a very short time)

home-made electronics

the computer (various incarnations of using THAT)

violin and pipa (but not in a traditional way - only for source material for computer music)

Just this morning I was bragging to my choir director at church that (with the notable exception of the French horn) if you gave me ANY wind instrument, I would be able to play in at the high school level within a month. I suppose the Sousaphone would be an exception as well - simply because I don't have the lung power.

I spent my high school days basically being given instruments that were needed for our band that was much too small. I would fill in where I could.

Did someone say something about a vampire flute band?! :)

though I haven't played the flute since I was in the 7th grade, I was a natural... leaned the instrument in 3 hours... my mom played and she taught me, and I want to pick it up again, and start a hardcore vampire-esk band... if that makes sence...

Damn...you learned years and years of sheet music reading ability, the range for all octaves, quarter, whole, half, eighth, sixteenth, thirty-second notes/rests, the entire Italian music vocabulary, all 8 billion major/minor and then some scales, the meaning of ALL time signatures, and ridiculous amounts of music theory in three hours? That's crazy, I didn't even think any composers could do that :tongue:.

As for me, I played trombone in highschool and was section leader (surprisingly because I had zero discipline/responsibility) and now I dabble around with piano/bass. I have a piano that I got for free last year and it's been sitting in my living room, so I fuck around with it. I figure once you get down piano you build a basis for most instruments. The two things I find difficult about it are the fact that two hands and feet are required to play and the treble clef, being trained in trombone I know bass clef like it were my brother :laugh:.

Violin, though it has been a while, it would take me a week or so to get to something halfway presentable.

I can also sing a bit.

Ahhh the instrument of champions, along with cello and string bass. I want a string bass but they're so damn expensive, and by so damn expensive I mean many of them cost more than my car.

Damn...you learned years and years of sheet music reading ability, the range for all octaves, quarter, whole, half, eighth, sixteenth, thirty-second notes/rests, the entire Italian music vocabulary, all 8 billion major/minor and then some scales, the meaning of ALL time signatures, and ridiculous amounts of music theory in three hours? That's crazy, I didn't even think any composers could do that :tongue:.

Good point. I've been playing drums (arguably one of the easiest instruments to learn) for just over two decades and spent years learning through private study and I still don't know everything I want to.

Good point. I've been playing drums (arguably one of the easiest instruments to learn) for just over two decades and spent years learning through private study and I still don't know everything I want to.

Yes, so it's beyond me how anyone could have "learned an instrument" in three hours, especially as a 5th grader, because quite honestly it would be mentally and physicially impossible unless you were absolutely ridiculously genius beyond an incomprehensible level :laugh:. I would even go so far as to say the only person that could pull off something like that would be God Himself or possibly someone with autism that is a savant (I know one personally and she fully learned French in three months with nothing more than a few textbooks). It's a tad bit demeaning, imo, to musicians such as I, Spook, and others on the board who have been playing, training, and learning for many years just to get to where we are :tongue:.

With that said, I WAS going to pick up violin since I have one (it's Boshy's. Since she's a music teacher she has one of every instrument in the house except a string bass and tuba/sousaphone), but my stupid effin cousin borrowed it from her and never gave it back. So as of right now I only pwn in trombone and am on my way to getting to a sixth grade level in piano :laugh:. Bass guitar so far as been easy as shit due to the fact that I've been trained in bass clef since I was little, the only challenge with bass that is different than trombone is A) chords and B) finger placement.

Edited by Chernobyl

"Damn...you learned years and years of sheet music reading ability, the range for all octaves, quarter, whole, half, eighth, sixteenth, thirty-second notes/rests, the entire Italian music vocabulary, all 8 billion major/minor and then some scales, the meaning of ALL time signatures, and ridiculous amounts of music theory in three hours? That's crazy, I didn't even think any composers could do that ."

i dont think she learned everything known to man in music theory in 3 hours. just the physical technique to play that instrument. and i doupt in 3 hours she could shred on the flute(god i sound like a metalhead)

Edited by SaGa

The more you know that you don't know, the smarter you are.

Lay off already. I "learned" baritone in about a week or so. I had never played a brass instrument before, but I just picked the thing up, figured out how to blow into the damn thing/memorized how to play through the basic range of the instrument/got to the point where I could play some high school band music with the correct pitches with reasonable tone quality - the end.

Of course, I had been singing since before I can remember and taking piano lessons since I was 4 or 5 (also pretty much before I can remember). I played other wind instruments as well - for years.

Did I master the baritone in that amount of time - of course NOT -

Thing is: once you "learn" how to play "an instrument" - "learning" other instruments is much, much easier. Plus - I've always had a knack for them. They just made sense.

Some instruments are extraordinarily difficult to learn to play - simply because you have to condition yourself physically more than others (double reeds, french horn, etc.) - or they are simply extraordinarily complicated (keyboard instruments, harps or various kinds, etc.)

It does not take a super-genius to learn a new instrument in a short amount of time. We all recognize that it takes years of discipline to master an instrument - however frighteningly simple it is to play. In fact, I think I would be more offended if someone claimed to have mastered an instrument at all - even with years and years of study. I think I played the flute for about five or six years before I actually felt I was playing "music" instead of notes.

I played in an early music ensemble for several years - I certainly wouldn't get my panties in a bunch if someone told me they "learn to play the recorder" in a few hours. As long as you are capable of blowing over a pop can and getting a sound out of it - the flute is as "easy" as a recorder - it just has more bells and whistles (no pun intended) and it is easier to fine tune your pitches (thank you technology).

Edited by sinmantyx