GPS

Simon Bar Sinister

i use a tom tom mostly, but i tend to program via a long/lat as sometimes it has lead me to service entrances to army bases, etc. when i want the main entrance. but i allways carry maos in the underseat draws. one national, and a few city streetmaps, but thats because i'm anal retentive and keep as well as an extinguisher and first aid kit, a 24 hr ration pack, a jetboil and fuel, foil blankets, my MS200 strobe and a BFL (Bright Fookin Light), and a wind up LED lamp with inbuilt phone charger. yes i am that anal retentive and no it doesnt fill that much of my boot up as most of it is stowed away in various cubby holes in the car

i can also read proper maps as i spent a lot of my youth learning how to use one on some random patch of mountains.

allways take a map with a GPS or route website printout as roads can close or the GPS may go dud.

one is none, two is one.

Assuming it's accurate, and I think that's not too difficult to verify (And bearing in mind that the government does limit accuracy on commercial applications) it's a great tool for navigation in unknown places both urban and out in the middle of nowhere. I have a good sense of direction, especially if I'm paying attention to surroundings and landmarks, but I still think there are time's I'd like the assurance of GPS.

My brain is a built in gps....i can read the maps and such but my friends all rely on me when it comes to telling them where to go...how to get there...what direction we are going in....ect ect...ask Mina....lmao

like i got us to and from cedar point by memory really...and i have never once had to drive to or from by myself...:p

GPS devices are helpful for driving in an unfamiliar city at night, and interstate travel. As for hiking/country road trips/snowmobiling/ATVing/etc., nothing beats a well-researched trail map (such as one would use for an off-road rally), a compass, and general knowledge of the four directions. An understanding of traditionally-used trail markers can be helpful, as well.

i use a tom tom mostly, but i tend to program via a long/lat as sometimes it has lead me to service entrances to army bases, etc. when i want the main entrance. but i allways carry maos in the underseat draws. one national, and a few city streetmaps, but thats because i'm anal retentive and keep as well as an extinguisher and first aid kit, a 24 hr ration pack, a jetboil and fuel, foil blankets, my MS200 strobe and a BFL (Bright Fookin Light), and a wind up LED lamp with inbuilt phone charger. yes i am that anal retentive and no it doesnt fill that much of my boot up as most of it is stowed away in various cubby holes in the car

Haha you're even more so than me... I have food, water, blanket, flashlights, feminine supplies, first aid kit, hand warmer packs, glow sticks, insulated bags, bungee cords and various other knick knacks in my car. All neatly packed into a storage container that takes up surprisingly little space in the back of the Sportage. But no GPS. I would like one, tho... AFA I'm concerned, a GPS isn't essentially different from a map... just another level of tech.

My brain is a built in gps....i can read the maps and such but my friends all rely on me when it comes to telling them where to go...how to get there...what direction we are going in....ect ect...ask Mina....lmao

like i got us to and from cedar point by memory really...and i have never once had to drive to or from by myself...:p

You and I are gonna drive out to the middle of nowhere with our eyes closed and see if we can make it back without maps or GPS... :p

its strange.

you can drop me into the woods without a compass and I can take you round in a circle and still lead you back to the exact spot at the end of it. but put me in a town or city. I'm absolutely lost. i need a navigator or to stop every so often and read up.

navigators are also usefull for spotting speed traps

Edited by Head Wreck

• 1 year later...

GPS can help alot depending on the situation. Yeah I can read maps too and can give my coordinates to someone over the radio but that isn't the goal when I am driving. Taking away tasks while driving makes it easier to drive and concentrate on the road so the GPS helps there. The only time GPS is useful in the field is if you must mark coordinates quickly for others to gain access to if you a scooting around with the map. People in the field using small maps communicating with people that are using larger maps and GPS is an awesome combination...well it would be if the communication system was more direct which would cut out the lag.

I love my tomtom. Having absolutely no sense of direction makes driving around a pain in the ass, and considering I spend half my time in Canada...a GPS unit was needed. Add on the voice of Herbert from Family Guy...I'll put it on just for shits and giggles now. hehe

I usually use mapquest.

I know they come up with some fucked up routes also.

I would like a gps, but it would be too much of a pain in the ass.

I would have to take it off its mount and take it with me.

It would just be a magnet for theives.

So, if I'm going somewhere that I'm not familiar with, I just plan the trip ahead of time with mapquest.