Where Should I Stay?

Brenda Starrr

Which hotel is nicest?  

9 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I'm in the process of picking a hotel for our trip. Due to the fact that I've never been to MI, I don't know where to go. We want a nice place, for sure. It has to be clean! The Ramada is out of the question, as I read the reviews on Expedia, and they were bad. I don't know anything about the cab fares up there for when we go to CC, or the proximity of the hotels to the club. I want/need help so that I can get this trip booked by July! Your help in all matters concerning this are greatly welcomed and appreciated!

The Westin is right in the airport.

The Ponch is near the Cobo Center

The Ritz-Carlton is in Dearborn

Edited because I forgot to add the locations, per Dyno.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Since you are going for the upper tier anyway, I vote for the Embassy Suites, Novi Sheraton or Livonia Marriott. They have nice rooms, are in a decent area for restaurants/shopping and are just about equidistant to Ann Arbor, Royal Oak and Detroit.

Since you are going for the upper tier anyway, I vote for the Embassy Suites, Novi Sheraton or Livonia Marriott. They have nice rooms, are in a decent area for restaurants/shopping and are just about equidistant to Ann Arbor, Royal Oak and Detroit.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Novi Sheritan is where one of my Sci-fi conventions is held. It's quite nice, with comfortable beds, clean large rooms, and an awesome and semi affordable restaurant. It's pricy though.... Maybe check Priceline?

also- how close do you want to be to "detroit" itself? places that are in livonia and novi are a good 30+ minutes away.

i am in harper woods brenda and that is about 10-15 minutes from city club. not sure how close you want to actually be to *city club* or if you are aiming at being closer to other dgners who happen to live out farther?

also- how close do you want to be to "detroit" itself? places that are in livonia and novi are a good 30+ minutes away.

i am in harper woods brenda and that is about 10-15 minutes from city club. not sure how close you want to actually be to *city club* or if you are aiming at being closer to other dgners who happen to live out farther?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Oh good point.... *L*

so where are

The Ritz Carlton

Westin Detroit

The Ponch

located? i haven't even ever heard of the ponch. what is that?

are the other places downtown? and what will be your method of transporatation? are you renting a car? taking cabs? getting rides? that will all really matter too.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

There's really no aim as to who we want to be closer to. I'm just trying to figure out what's going to be a nice hotel to stay in and how we're getting to and from city club as well as to and from the airport. It's a definite that we are coming, and I want to celebrate my 40th birthday with people I feel close to, even if I've never met them. You all are it.

so where are

The Ritz Carlton

Westin Detroit

The Ponch

located? i haven't even ever heard of the ponch. what is that?

are the other places downtown? and what will be your method of transporatation? are you renting a car? taking cabs? getting rides? that will all really matter too.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The Ponch=The Pontchartrain. It's a hotel that Marblez told me about a while back.

also- what other things do you want to do here? eating out? seeing any kind of shows or anything? or just here to over all hang out/chill out?

i know a lot of people live farther out like ann arbor, ypsilanti, westland, etc.... and for those areas i don't know what there is to do?

but if you are going to stay out by me (harper woods, detroit, grosse pointe, roseville, east pointe, st clair shores-- i know all that means nothing to you ;) but if you are over this way that is what would be by you and i know this whole area really well) area i can point you to some stuff. ;)

the main roads by ME at least would be like gratiot. there on gratoit you have hotels, resturants, the mall, shopping plazas, a comedy place, bowling alley, etc.

another one that is about 20+ minutes from me is hall road. where you find all that type of stuff but more. it is a big main road with tons and tons of places-- although i am not aware of what hotels would be right there. that area is utica, mt clemens-sort of, sterling heights-sort of...

then there is royal oak which has a lot to do too. movies, resturants, bars, comedy club... royal oak i dont know of any hotels right there either but the surrounding areas would have something good and cheap i am sure. clawson, berkley, madison heights, ferndale. royal oak is also pretty close to detroit.

as far as i know- for my area anyways- your best bet for fun stuff will be either downtown detroit, royal oak or that hall road area, possibly even gratiot (not gratiot by detroit though. avoid that! gratiot once you are in roseville and up in the mile roads). though hall road and gratiot are not really hip/happening "scene" places. they are more like full of hotel/resturant/mall/bar (not very cool bars though) stuff.

i know that is not help with actual hotels ;) but i am trying to think of stuff you might want to do and where that will be happening at.

Ponchartrain is a way upper tier hotel Downtown, it will be the closest to CC of your selections, but it is VERY pricy! The link I sent you for it was a super special "do it now' rate. Otherwise, you are likely looking at $100+ per night to stay there.

Go there if your plan is to have a weekend long hotel party (invite me) and go to CC. Otherwise, there is not much reason to stay in Detroit proper.

yeah if you don't plan on doing mostly "detroit" things i would not bother staying anywhere in detroit. not even down town. although downtown detroit would be THE only place to stay in detroit. everywhere else "detroit" is crap.

My plan is this:

Wayne and I book a nice hotel that is pretty much as close to CC as possible.

TC has offered to show us around the city. I think that Jarod has (at some point) offered to take us to CC. All I really want is to hang out with as many of you as possible and actually get to know you in person. We would like to get all gothy and go have a great time and take pics. I have to also look into a shuttle service for when we arrive and depart. We just need to figure everything out, which is why I'm starting on this right now.

that link just went right to a home page, not the actual days inn downtown. so i don't know?

for friday you could probably go to luna.

if i had actual addresses of any of the hotels i could help you better with the location of it/how good it is/closeness, etc... but i dont really know where any of them are based on name alone.

If price is not an factor, The Ponch would be your best bet for a really nice hotel closest to CC. Luna is in Royal Oak and if TC is showing you around, he knows all the places to go. Royal Oak has some great places to shop (one of kind stores), and a ton of places that are good for just hanging out. As for shuttle service, there really is no public transportation here that I can reccommend. I would talk more to TC to see if you should rent a car while you are here. Btw, CC is open on Fridays too. Which airport are you flying into? I prefer to use Metro Airport rather than City. Metro is located outside of Detroit, whereas City is in Detroit.

If price is not an factor, The Ponch would be your best bet for a really nice hotel closest to CC.  Luna is in Royal Oak and if TC is showing you around, he knows all the places to go.  Royal Oak has some great places to shop (one of kind stores), and a ton of places that are good for just hanging out.  As for shuttle service, there really is no public transportation here that I can reccommend.  I would talk more to TC to see if you should rent a car while you are here.  Btw, CC is open on Fridays too.  Which airport are you flying into?  I prefer to use Metro Airport rather than City.  Metro is located outside of Detroit, whereas City is in Detroit.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

We'll be flying into Metro, I think. I read the ratings for the Pontchartrain, and they weren't very good. Then again, maybe the people who gave it bad reviews are snotty non-goths.

that link just went right to a home page, not the actual days inn downtown. so i don't know?

for friday you could probably go to luna.

if i had actual addresses of any of the hotels i could help you better with the location of it/how good it is/closeness, etc... but i dont really know where any of them are based on name alone.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

St. Regis:

3071 W. Grand Blvd.

Days Inn:

3250 E. Jefferson Ave.

Archived