Where does your morality come from?

So I was thinking...

Darque posted a news clip about a hit-and-run that happened in broad daylight and was caught on film. The reaction of all of those people around the hit and run was also caught on film - there wasn't much to catch, though. The people didn't really do anything.

But my question is, why does that horrify you? What little bell went off in your head that triggered your response? All over these boards I read that morality is not to be guided by religion. Or your family. Or the laws of the land. What then? Certainly not 'common sense'. I think it's painfully obvious that sense is not common.

Where is your moral compass and how did it get there? WHY were you horrified? What rule were these people breaking?

The overriding theme on this board is to do as you please, as long as it doesn't harm anyone. But these passers-by weren't harming anyone. These people were just going about their lives. They weren't causing anybody any trouble. All of us here have walked past the homeless and done nothing. How is that more acceptable than what these people did? There are threads all over this board which talk about how certain people should have no rights - criminals, the unborn, the homeless. For goodness sake, I have even rad posts on here which suggested that people with too many children, or not enough money or brains, should not be allowed to reproduce! So, what's so different about this man? Why should he be treated any better?

I'm especially baffled that people here are horrified over that news story. If anyone was defending those people who walked by him, I would expect to see it here. There is always talk of having the right to do as you please, that you should do what makes YOU happy. Well, these people obviously didn't want to help. They weren't required. They weren't breaking any laws. They had no reason to stop. So, why should you expect them to?

GREAT TOPIC

I think morality comes from a root of fear to be honest (but in a general sense), this fear is what ties into a lot of what you mentioned above. Religion uses fear to control people and therefore can call it morality, ones parents use fear to control their children this starts out as a simple fear of loss and punishment (kind of like religion). I also think that there is a very strong biological thrust to this "morality" without it our species could not have survived as long as it has.

I personally don't believe in any sort of absolute morality or moral compass, whatever you do is evil to somebody. Never the less, cultures will develope and impliment their own sense of one.

The compass comes from empathy eventually most humans can place themselves in others shoes and want to treated accordingly. They see suffering and do not wish to be in the position themselves and therefor feel sad.

My ethic comes from within myself, where I learned it I can only assume it was from what my parent's taught, we learn by example. They are very kind, empathetic and decent human beings toward everyone. I began reading at an early age but even then I would have had to have known how to make compassionate and empathy would come into play. I suppose that some people are just decent human beings but I don't know If we can be just born that way. It would seem like ethic and morality is something instilled somewhere and it is a conditioned feeling.

My thought after seeing this was that could have been one of "us", meaning us here at DGN or my parents. So, it isn't that I just think it could be me, I'm thinking about every one, anyone. Society is just so out of control. I like to think I would have immediately gone to that person and made a call to get help, which is what I honestly in my heart feel I would do, being placed in the exact situation. People have stopped caring and some of it stems from the economic situations and stress people are going through in their every day lives. We are killing ourselves to live.

I think some of the people here at DGN may realize that most people aren't worth much but still have hope , even if just a glimmer in mankind especially for the children this world will be left to. All of these types of feelings and teachings are learned in the home but there are exceptions. Many people didn't have a mother of father figure but have learned compassion through their misfortunes as well. I can only speak of my experience.

Most people look at others as blades of grass that get mowed every week,and consider it a typical thing in life.

Not sure but it seems the U.S. has the most apathy/hate than other industrialized,developed nations,(Europe,Australia,New Zeeland,Scandinavia.etc etc etc.

We have a documented inborn senses of some very basic emotions like justice and empathy. We all get our background of larger moral/ethical concepts from various forms of direct and indirect cultural influences depending on what we grew up with, in, or around. Its only "common sense" in this frame, but I'd agree with the topic post in that the idea of "common sense" doesn't apply all that well, if it ever did.

Some of our ideas / emotions about moral behavior are consciously developed ethical/moral ideas based on reason and what is best. What was best for our ancestors living hand-to-mouth for 100,000 years or what tradition or the culture at large tells us is usually what we believe, but isn't always correct. Its a very hard thing to sort out and decide, let alone teach yourself. Tradition/Culture/Family with some genetics thrown in are a lot more powerful than reasoning is in most people, seeing as how we are new , as a species to this whole "analysis" type thinking.

I try not to fool myself into thinking I "know" whats right for myself or for anyone else, I just try to do what i think is best (and often fail of course) and try to revise my thinking as new information comes along if necessary.

... If anyone was defending those people who walked by him, I would expect to see it here. There is always talk of having the right to do as you please, that you should do what makes YOU happy. Well, these people obviously didn't want to help. They weren't required. They weren't breaking any laws. They had no reason to stop. So, why should you expect them to?

I defended them. Most people grow up being taught in school and on TV the basics of what I said.

Putting my defense into a moral prospective....

It would have been wrong for a single person to have touched him because they could have killed him by doing so.

If people actually read the article then they would know that the right thing was done. Within 60 seconds calls where made to 911.

And simply put "Most morals ARE learned and are unnatural" that is unless you moral compass is based purely in nature.

Naturally man A should not save the life of man B because that eliminates a potential breeding rival.

Naturally a woman should insist on monogamy because it increases the chances of her and her offspring surviving.

Archived