Guess they needed a newer one...

"The New York Times today reports 'The Pentagon is building its own Internet, the military's world wide web for the wars of the future. ... The Pentagon calls the secure network the Global Information Grid, or GIG. Conceived six years ago, its first connections were laid six weeks ago. It may take two decades and hundreds of billions of dollars to build ...' Members of a consortium formed 9/28 include Boeing; Cisco Systems; Factiva (Dow Jones and Reuters); General Dynamics; Hewlett-Packard; Honeywell; I.B.M.; Lockheed Martin; Microsoft; Northrop Grumman; Oracle; Raytheon; and Sun Microsystems."

Guess since they can't really take their original one back they will just have to make themselves a new one...

Thanks for all these alerts & bits of info, Dubh. Though they dont' apply to all of us, you never know who can benefit from what you bring up. Typing.gif

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks FC... Since you never know who might be interested in what, and since computers and related things are what I do for a living I just post what I find interesting and stuff...

Thanks for all these alerts & bits of info, Dubh. Though they dont' apply to all of us, you never know who can benefit from what you bring up. Typing.gif

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Not everything applies to everyone. Dubh is just doing his best to inform people of current goings-ons that he's interested in and probably hoping to strike up an interest in someone to perhaps start some conversations.

Yes it is, but I bet what a lot of people don't know (being as so many people have grown up with internet access now) that the Internet was originally started by the DoD (Dept of Defense) back in '69. They wanted a comm setup that could continue in case of emergency. They linked a bunch of system across the US by phone line and if one went down the rest would be able to continue to communicate with each other.

The some time in the '70's people started using it to send msg's and files back and forth. By the end of the 70's computer networks like the DoD's had started becoming international. And slowly but surely the net grew into the one we have today.

So who knows... Their next one might be the I-Net of the future... :tongue:

Actually I read somewhere that someone was working on creating another internet that wouldn't be so locked into its systems. The one we use now has some serious limitations, as alot of it is still based off of the standards of the technology that was implimented with ARPANET ( that DoD thing :tongue: ). Bandwidths have grown, but some protocols and such are pretty much locked into at this point.

This new ARPANET, I'm sure, will be sooo locked down, that it will be almost impossible for civilian systems to piggy-back on communications. I'd bet one of the primary reasons for them to make a new one at this point is purely as security concern.

If they did decide to allow civilian traffic, I would be very skeptical at using such a network, as any system designed by the military is going to have more controls placed on it than one designed primarily by universities. This new network would most likely know who was doing what at all times, which is great from a security stand-point, but bad from a privacy one.

Though I'm sure such a network would solve virus and spyware issues. :tongue:

Archived