Low Fat Food Tips & Recipes

hunhee

Hey! this is a Healthy Food Tips and Recipes topic, if you want to debate out what shit's in the ground, make your own post! You're not helping anyone, cause you're not sharing your healthy tips. If you want to tell us what healthy recipe or health tip you want the rest of us to know about, you can post it here!!! Otherwise get your own topic!!!!

Continue ladies and gentlemen :)

You're not going to get away with that shit on my Health Watch forum!

I was under the impression that telling people what foods to avoid because they will make you sick, was a health tip.

I'm sorry my view of healthy does not fit into the media driven and government sponsored drivel that passes as modern "health".

I was under the impression that telling people what foods to avoid because they will make you sick, was a health tip.

I'm sorry my view of healthy does not fit into the media driven and government sponsored drivel that passes as modern "health".

It wasn't the message that you were trying to convey Gaf, it was the nature of the message. It was meant to be argumentative. I don't want this post to be that way. I just want to have people share some things that have worked for them, or are working for them.

I don't know too many people who are going to eat half those things raw. Take one bite of any of those things raw and you get a bitter sensation in your mouth. The reason why they're bitter? Because they're not EDIBLE. Cook them, and they become tender, and good.

This is to give people an alternate choice to the BK or McD's or really any restaurant out there. If you do choose to eat out, don't be afraid to ask your waiter how the restaurant prepares something, ask them not to use oil, or butter.

If you still want butter on your baked potato, ask for it on the side, and add your own. Guaranteed that you do not want to put that control into someone else's hands. They don't care about you, it's time for you to care about you.

The thing to remember is, none of us got overweight overnight, it was a process of choices. Being healthy, and making healthy choices also won't happen overnight, but it will happen. You just have to stay consistent with making those good choices, and the effects will show over time.

Roasted Eggplant Spread

½ cup = 1 serving

2 Medium Eggplants

1 Cup Fresh Basil

20 Green Olives Pitted

2 Cloves Garlic (Chopped)

1 tsp Salt

Cut eggplant in half, roast on 375 degrees for 40 minutes until soft. Cool, scoop out eggplant.

Put in food processor with remaining items, pulse until chopped. Chill at least 30 minutes. Good served with pita

Personally, I am not a huge green olive fan, I've had them in things that I like, but I would probably leave those out and put something else in it's place, like roasted red peppers or onions or something.

Here's another tip: I never leave the house without my water, and my snacks (which i've got in little snack sized baggies, the snacks not water). Yes, I portion out my snacks, I know if I have a bag, I'll eat the whole bag. It's just easier for me this way.

I don't want to get caught out where I don't have something to munch on. It's because I know me. I will get hungry and freak out because my blood sugar dropped, and I will look for the closest most convenient thing, usually a drive thru, or a candy bar at a register.

THESE are the bad choices I don't want to make. Yes, sure, one time isn't going to kill me, but I don't want to have that type of exposure. I rather not have that bile in my system. If I have my pretzels, or my Fiber 1 Bar (the carmel ones are to die for) and my water, I can wait another hour or so to eat when I get home, and then I'm not so hungry I make bad choices there.

Here's another tip: I never leave the house without my water, and my snacks (which i've got in little snack sized baggies, the snacks not water). Yes, I portion out my snacks, I know if I have a bag, I'll eat the whole bag. It's just easier for me this way.

I don't want to get caught out where I don't have something to munch on. It's because I know me. I will get hungry and freak out because my blood sugar dropped, and I will look for the closest most convenient thing, usually a drive thru, or a candy bar at a register.

THESE are the bad choices I don't want to make. Yes, sure, one time isn't going to kill me, but I don't want to have that type of exposure. I rather not have that bile in my system. If I have my pretzels, or my Fiber 1 Bar (the carmel ones are to die for) and my water, I can wait another hour or so to eat when I get home, and then I'm not so hungry I make bad choices there.

SO correct, I don't know how many times I'd be out in Oakland County visiting friends and I would forget to eat first and low and behold what would I end up with? Usually Rally's :laugh: Or McDonalds, whichever.

Another good tip is if you can eat at home, do it. No matter how much you ask a restaurant to do something for you like don't add butter to your steak (yes, they melt a big ass pad of butter on your steak before the bring it out to your table), you can cut out WAY more fat by eating at home. If you make it yourself, you don't have to ask what's in it.

Ask for low-fat or fat free salad dressing, if they don't have this, then ask for your dressing on the side. You will put less on the salad (and fewer calories) than if they did it for you.

Don't think that a salad at a restaurant is healthy, that's a HUGE misconception. Lots of salads at a restaurant have as many as 1000 calories, in cases like these, it's better to eat that hamburger and fries. (disclaimer, no this isn't meant to say that you should eat either of these things, just that they would be equivalents at this point)

Remember, this isn't a DIE-t this is a life change for a healthy lifestyle.

If you crave it, better to eat it and get it out of the way (in a reasonable portion) than to avoid it and eat everything else you see, trying to make up for the thing you're trying to avoid. Sometimes you end up eating more calories trying to eat away the chocolate craving than actually eating the chocolate. (thought this would be a good tip for those moving into valentines day)

Oh! Remember guys, flowers are calorie free.. AND I found this place that does fruit bouquets.. REALLY good idea. :)http://www.ediblearrangements.com/Default.aspx

My favorite veggie snack is baby carrots. The only problem that I have is that I like to dip them in Ranch.

I know that most fat-free dressings are pretty disgusting, but Hidden Valley has a really good Light Ranch. As long as you dont over-do and only have one serving of the dressing it's actually a very healthy alternative to other snacks that you may reach for.

• 1 month later...

No Bread Stuffed Mushrooms

You'll need:

Preheated oven @ 500 degrees

1/2 red onion, or white if you prefer

2 cloves of fresh garlic, chopped fine

1 8oz package of fat free or low fat shredded mozzarella

Olive oil, three table spoons

2 cans drained and chopped fine canned spinach

1 large package of white mushrooms, I use the smaller ones.

Grated Parmesan cheese

For the mushrooms: Remove the stem while keeping the head of the mushroom intact (and always wipe all mushrooms with a damp towel to remove the dirt, but Don't run them under water, makes em tougher)

Get a 13x9 baking dish, non metallic, and grease it and the tops of the mushrooms and bake them @ 500 degrees for 5 minutes to brown them. Set aside for now.

Put two tables spoons in a frying pan, nonstick works just as well.

Chop the mushrooms stems, onion and garlic and saute until browned but not burned. I usually put the onions and garlic in first because they take longer to soften.

Add the Heavily Drained chopped spinach (I take it out of the can while the other stuff is browning) to the pan and mix together well.

Add the entire 8 oz package of mozz cheese at the end and stir on low heat for 2 minutes.

Grab a big or small spoon and spoon the filling into each little mushroom.

Sprinkle parmesan cheese on top of each filled mushroom

Return to oven @ 450 degrees for 5 minutes or until the tops are browned.

Enjoy! I love this recipe. They keep in the fridge for 5-6 days, and are even better the day after. Low fat, but good fats, and a ton of really-good-for-you veggies and proteins.

My breakfast usually consists of:

Western Alternative Bagel How they do it I have no clue.

Better N Peanut Butter

and Raspberry Jam.

ALSO!! I have a Weight Watcher's Yogert (they are actually the best out there that I've tried for calories/fat/taste with some Fiber 1 and fruit cut up. I eat them 1-2 hours apart from each other.

This will satisfy me till lunch.

Best sweet snack, half a package of Jello Sugar Free chocolate pudding. Love the stuff. With skim milk. Ready in 5 minutes, has protein, no fat, and no refined sugars.

Also, Water. I just started drinking it again and I swear if I'm feeling foggy or groggy it wakes me up. 80% of the people in this country are dehydrated, causing headaches, sluggish weight loss and depressed immune systems. Water is my friend.

Baked turnips

Grab a couple of big turnips, wipe them down, season with a tablespoon of olive oil, generous amounts of salt and pepper, stick em in a baking dish for about 40 minutes @ 450 or until cooked through (I stab them with a knife a bunch of times in the top thicker part) and munch away. A great and mostly overlooked root veggie.

For low fat cooking I use this neat little thingy called "Misto" It's a spray bottle for any oil. It lets me very lightly glaze something I want to saute without drowning it in too much oil and fat. Love it, I got mine for 10 bucks at TJ Max, but they make them for Target, Best Buy, etc. One of my top cooking aids.

Also, Balsamic Vinegar is great for sauteeing a chicken breast, yum city and no fat.

Archived