Averaged over the last 3 months to top 10 cities in order of unique, individual active browsing visitors, that are actually "humans" (as best as web analytics can tell us)

1. Ypisilanti

2. Westland

3. Southfield

4. Livonia

5. Ann Arbor

6. Sterling Heights

7. Redford

8. Berkley

9. Troy

10. Ferndale

Southfield represent yo.

Curious... How do they determine where people are?

It can be pretty complex , but generally your IP address (Internet Protocol Address: basicly a street address for each device on the internet (usually a computer network card)). It's accurate down to the zipcode level regardless if you use a proxy server or not. Sometimes it can be masked a bit, or confused and they use things called geolocation/triangualtion and other such stuff based on how you get routed to a given Internet access point to "guess" at the location if its not immediately apparent.

Generally a proxy server keeps your info private from a given website operation, but there's not really such thing as true "anonymous web browsing" (from the perspective of the computer your using) since the Internet would have no clue where to send the data if the computer you were using were truly anonymous.

Some network resource, somewhere in the OSI chain knows were the computer (generally) is connecting from, via one of many locating schemes (some of which i have no idea about)

This stuff here is based on google analytics which you could get a PhD in, and still not fully understand it all.

Theres tons of other data in there too like what web browser people are using, what resolution they have their monitors at etc.

Theres a lot of lurkers that dont actually post (or even have accounts) im pretty convinced, based on feedback i get in real life and such. *shakes fist at lurkers*

Also many people say they read DGN for awhile before they ever posted or made an account, which is partly why i view a lot of "unknown" people as "DGNers" even though i have no clue who they are.

I think the low eastsider count really is just a population issue. Theres a lot more people west of detroit than there is north.

One curiosity is that the city of detroit proper, wasn't even in the top 25. I think the last time i did this it was like number 1 or 2 or something.

Averaged over the last 3 months to top 10 cities in order of unique, individual active browsing visitors, that are actually "humans" (as best as web analytics can tell us)

1. Ypisilanti

10. Ferndale

That may be true, but here's another undisputable fact.

The highest number of characters/post typed from one unique user in the past three years ,

comes from an office in Lansing, MI :whistle:

Who's in Berkley??? I know a few in Southfield and Ferndale.

That is really weird! I can't even think of hardly anyone in Berkley on here, but I could be wrong. Especially since Berkley is like Oakland County's Fraser (i.e. ridiculously small :laugh:).

Hmmm, I'm thinking Bean Water might be right in that they're lumping Royal Oak and Berkley together since they're right next door to each other.