Favorite Cover Song(s)

Guest GodfallenPromos

Johnny Cash's remake of Trent's HURT

(gotta love Cash. have to.. and i thought it was a good one.)

I wish Johnny had done those covers earlier... when his voice was in better shape. It sounds frail to my ears, and that distracts me from really enjoying what would otherwise be a bunch of great covers. Of course... a bunch of these songs didn't exist when his voice was still awesome. *sigh*

Guest GodfallenPromos

you know...there are rules to a good cover.

you have to do two things:

first, give musical credit to the artist...and I'm not talking trademark. make the song worthy of the origional performer. do it as if they were going to hear it themselves.

and second, put your own twist on the song, in the way it's performed, while keeping the first rule.

least thats what I look for.

and a song I would like to hear covered: Fully Alive - Flyleaf

For us (Misconceived) the stips we put into place when it comes to a cover tune are as follows:

1) Nothing that the origenal artist is -still- playing. THis is why we don't do any Tool Covers, and while we were working on a Sevendust cover, it fell to the wayside.

2) We've gotta bring something different to it, than what was origenaly recorded. For example, we did a cover of Stinkfist (By tool) in the band 'Tin Omen', and we processed the SHIT out of the guitar for the intro so it -SOUNDED- like somone smacking a pipe with a glass bottle or something, then we put some weird FX on the vocals, so that it drifted in and out as I was singing. AND everything was slowed way down, so the who feel of the song was a lot more eerie, and spookdafied. I loved that cover... had a copy on MP3 a while back, but for some reason can't find it. Ahh well.

3) It's gotta be unexpected. I mean you see one metal band get up and do Metallica, you've seen them all. Who cares right... But what about A metal band doing a cover of a 2pac song, or Marvin Gay, or Britney spears? That's something I'd be totally into.

Another of my favorite Covers I've done and heard done:

Powersource / Tin Omen - Heartbreaker: Powersource kicked this song out, and did Pat proud, and when Tin Omen did it, there was a male vocalist pushing out the vox with everything he had (I should know, it was me. :D) I love that tune. :D

CixWicked

you know...there are rules to a good cover.

you have to do two things:

first, give musical credit to the artist...and I'm not talking trademark. make the song worthy of the origional performer. do it as if they were going to hear it themselves.

and second, put your own twist on the song, in the way it's performed, while keeping the first rule.

least thats what I look for.

and a song I would like to hear covered: Fully Alive - Flyleaf

Siegemachine did a pretty cool cover of Kraftwerk's Radioactivity

back to the promotions forum with ye! :p

right. marilyn manson rarely makes a good cover imho, he completely fucked up tainted love.

my ruin - Tainted love

i love tarrie B's voice, and this song does it justice.

my ruin - do you love me

a nick cave cover, but sung from the other perspective, again ample use of tarries voice on this.

the cramps - heartbreak hotel

the cramps - jailhouse rock

its the cramps doing elvis. nuff said.

tre lux - never let me down

a fantastic cover from tina root

• 2 weeks later...

I am currently enjoying Antony & the Johnsons' version of the old Nina Simone standard "Be My Husband."

Also, DeVotchKa do a very nice rendition of the Siouxsie and the Banshees song "The Last Beat of My Heart," which can be listened to here (second song).

Also, thinking about the Sisters of Mercy version of "Jolene" by Dolly Parton made me remember how much I love the White Stripes' cover of it. That's just one of those songs that's hard to make bad...though I am quite sure it's possible.

• 3 weeks later...

Two of the best covers I've heard in the past decade:

Chris Cornell - Billie Jean - Excellent cover of this Michael Jackson classic. Better than the original IMO. Can be heard o his latest solo release.

Placebo - Running Up That Hill - A haunting rendition of the classic Kate Bush tune, found on the re-release of their 2006 album Meds, highly recommended.

Guest GodfallenPromos

Local Band The 2nd System out of Saginaw (better known on here as that band with the one armed guitarist), does a really nice version of "Comfertably Numb" by Pink Floyd.

Oh, please don't hit me for this.

I am generally not a fan of cover songs. I guess I hear a version of a song and get attached to the way it sounds. I suppose it's a reflection of my lack of adaptability.

That said, I really have a soft spot for HIM's cover of Blue Oyster Cult's Don't Fear the Reaper. To me, it strikes just the right blend of keeping the original feel of the song, and finding their own interpretation of it.

Guest GodfallenPromos

Oh, please don't hit me for this.

I am generally not a fan of cover songs. I guess I hear a version of a song and get attached to the way it sounds. I suppose it's a reflection of my lack of adaptability.

That said, I really have a soft spot for HIM's cover of Blue Oyster Cult's Don't Fear the Reaper. To me, it strikes just the right blend of keeping the original feel of the song, and finding their own interpretation of it.

*tries....to...restrain....axe....tossing......* Everyone is intitaled to an opinion *urge....to kill.....growing....*

Archived