Now Reading... (or Recently Finished)

Interview and The Stand should basicly be required reading.

I'd put The 7 Habits Of Highly Effective People by Covey on that list also. Its the grandaddy of the modern self help book that all these other books bite off of.

Yeah that'd be another one I'd put on the required list.

Poppy?

yes I have never read anything quite like this before lol

• Replies 766
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Megalicious

Read Ayn Rand's Anthem. I had read it once before but ages and ages ago so I didn't remember it at all. Not sure why she gets such a very bad rap...

I don't have a problem with her fiction, she is an excellent writer. I do however have issues with her idea and definition of self interest, but that is another thread on it's own.

At the moment I am reading Sally Hemings by Barbara Chase-Riboud, for a class, but it has turned out to be really well written and somewhat interesting.

Finished 20,000 Leagues. It was pretty cool, but I wanted to learn more. Nadia really did a good job with this I think. But it made the ending much easier to understand! hahaha.

I think I liked Around the World better, but I did enjoy this one. XD

Also, I started rereading South of the Border West of the Sun by Murakami Haruki, since I'd lent it to a friend who didn't like it and I want to remember it better. (It'd been a few years since I read it.) I actually really like it. Haruki has a strange writing style where he doesn't explain a lot and doesn't feel bad about it. It can be really annoying. The endings can feel really blunt and let you down. But there's a certain style. This one has a lot of really good quotable parts in it. It's really good at making you feel like a horrible person too - um...5 points! (?) I don't know... I think it makes quite an effect on me though because I feel a certain kinship with the protagonist in some places.

I still like Ryu better, though, for the record. Still haven't finished my Food Stories book of his that I'm slowly working on, but since it's short stories, you know, I can just read at my leisure. Since I pretty much only read that one like once in a while 1 story before bed when I'm not exhausted, and lately I've been going out a lot in the evenings so I'm always exhausted, and in addition, I started reading the Haruki one at home instead, I haven't read this one in a while, so it's on standby. But I'll finish it eventually.

Now I have to figure out what my next at-work book will be.

Guest greyhalo

I'm hooked on the "Connor Grey" series by Mark Del Franco. I'm almost finished with the third book, Unfallen Dead.

People who like dark urban fantasy series like Jim Butcher's "The Dresden Files" should check out this series too!

Read Othello and Hamlet in the last few days at work. Now enough Shakespeare for a while. What next...

Wow. Minimum of 2-3 weeks per play if I was going to re-read them. There is to much stuff in there for me to blow through them that fast, every other page requires a term paper, heh. Impressive.

• 3 weeks later...

I finished The God Delusion last week by Richard Dawkins. He takes a giant hole-punch to The Bible which is to be expected. I was somewhat surprised he didn't go into the evidence for Jesus's non-existence, though its still speculative some non-miraculous prophetic guy or guys could have existed. I was happy to see ethical philosophy and universe expansion theory in the book which are things I'd already studied somewhat. What made this book life-changing or stand out for me since I'm already pretty Atheist was the use of scientific theory, primarily Darwinism, in a positive worldview and positive philosophical context.

Recently I reread Clay Walls by Kim Ronyoung and read a silly little manga called GOTH, both while I was holed up sick at home. Clay Walls was one that I had read for Korean civ back in college that I just randomly picked up off the shelf. Pretty cliched and trite through much of it, but not a bad read - I enjoyed it. A good afternoon's read, since it has some substance but reads very quickly. But it is pretty simplistic - maybe aimed at high schoolers?

GOTH is just a little 1 volume thing about a couple of high school kids who are obsessed with following murderers and such - full of gruesome violence, whee! XD haha... Worth the couple hours to read it, not a great too much more, but good sick-time reading.

I also started rereading Good Omens, which I read back when I was 18, which is of course a fun one.

Still hacking away at the Food Stories...slowly...slowly...