Now Reading... (or Recently Finished)

• Replies 766
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just got done reading an essay for class that is kind of depressing about the truths of patriachy called Wanted: Men Who Love. Basically essay was about how alot of men fear to show their emotions because society tells them that its not okay to show your emotions. It talks about how patriarchy effects kids and families and that children try to do everything they can for their father's love, they first try to be very disciplined and rule obeying and then they get in trouble when they have given up hope for their fathers affection. It also talks about how if there is something emotionally bothering a male it makes him feel weak and uncomfortable about talking about his emotions. It also talks about in patriarchal culture men's pain can not have a voice and that it interferes with satisfaction of female desire. Men who expressed feelings were often seen as attension seekers or "needy" and trying to "steal the stage" with their drama. One thing I did not agree is that anger was a way of covering up pain. It didn't really go into detail about why men get angry. Anger is an emotion and should not be used as a cover up for emotional pain or viewed only as that. Within reason and in a nonviolent way I think that anger best shows someone to stay away and not take you for granted. If you cry and be emotional the wrong person will use that to their advantage and be nice for a little while until they try to hurt you again. People are selfish, both men and women which in many case society says that its ok to be that way. It says to take things for granted because the availability for others is at the expensen. For instance, two people tell each other that they love one another. The first person doesn't show their emotions because they were raised in a society that tells them not to. The second person is patient and tries to slowly open them up to this new concept of love. So the first person begins to enjoy the feeling and is working on opening themselves up. Well the second person isn't really sincere about it and is becoming impatient and isn't happy with the first person. Then they get frustrated so they go and look for another partner, which is excused as just friends. The first person asks about the second person and if everything is going ok because the second person hasn't been communicating as much. Well the second person says that everything is fine and that theres alot going on in their life. Well the first person accepts that and gives the second person space. Well the second person doesn't call anymore and the first person begins to worry and is showing that they care and are beginning to love. Well after the first person calls the second person finally the second person spills out. The first person becomes enraged for the second person not only being dishonest about how they felt but also for deliberately avoiding them. So then they are seperate, the first person begins dating again and the second person continues to pursue the new friend. Which looking from an outside perspect the second person was vey selfish for not being opened about their feelings and very hypocritical for wanting the first person to open up with their feelings when in fact the second person wasn't being true to themselves or the first person. Honestly can you blame the first person for not opening themselves up again especially quickly? There just alot of stuff that goes on behind the curtain that is difficult to try and explain. People are who they are because of what they have gone through and learned. One can try searching through every person in the world for their ideal person and not find them if they are going to not settle for someone who isn't perfect to their ideal one. The main thing is to set aside what the media and society tells us to be and to ignore this illusion of reality and live for ourselves, our loved ones, and as descent role models for our society.

Edited by thewhiterecluse

Read Polidori's Vampyre. Not very remarkable in any way. Kinda a throwaway episode, but okay. Now I'm reading Jules Verne Around the World in 80 days which is really very good so far. I love the writing style and I'm actually getting really into it - I can't wait to see what will happen! On Chap 12 of 37, so about a third of the way through. It's insanely fast reading. But I can never tell just how short/long these things are without an idea of how many pages they would be in a book, since I always read them online.

Finished Vampyre, as I said, and not too impressed.

I also finished Jules Verne's Around the World in 80 Days today, which was simply wonderful. Very very very fun!

I can't believe I never read it before, but I highly recommend it! :D

You know you've not had a busy day at work when you can start and finish two books while there in the course of your normal workday (even if neither are particularly long and one is very short). I did have some work but no more than about 2 hours or so.

Edited by TheOsakaKoneko

Read Oscar Wilde's A Woman of No Importance.

It was awfully goody goody for Wilde, but had some amazingly choice quotes. Oh, Oscar, I do love you so.

When Ernest and I were engaged, he swore to me positively on his knees that he had never loved any one before in the whole course of his life. I was very young at the time, so I didn't believe him, I needn't tell you. Unfortunately, however, I made no enquiries of any kind till after I had been actually married four or five months. I found out then that what he had told me was perfectly true. And that sort of thing makes a man so absolutely uninteresting.

Men always want to be a woman's first love. That is their clumsy vanity. We women have a more subtle instinct about things. What we like is to be a man's last romance.

Read Ayn Rand's Anthem. I had read it once before but ages and ages ago so I didn't remember it at all. Not sure why she gets such a very bad rap...sure, she's simplistic, but really, it was a good story, and I thought it equally as good as Brave New World or 1984, all three being basically variations on a theme. All three are simplistic and moralizing and such, but I think all three are pretty good. I rather liked this one. Perhaps even more than the others since it was a quick short read...this story is too black and white to want to read it over the course of any longer period of time.

Whoa!!! :shock:

You'd rather it tell you all the details?? :wink

LOL, it pretty much did, right down to what "it" even smelled like. I bet if he even tast....er...you know what, I'm not going to finish that statement, cuz chances are, that guy's probably written even more perverted stuff than what I read.....

the ending was just bland. very bland. like the whole book was a build up for.....nothing. no great climax, or twist or anything. Spoiler alert: he sits down at a table in his kitchen. the end. srsly?

The Stand

Interview with the Vampire

Merrick

7 Steps to Success (LOL did I even spell that right???)

I'm currently reading these.

Interview and The Stand should basicly be required reading.

I'd put The 7 Habits Of Highly Effective People by Covey on that list also. Its the grandaddy of the modern self help book that all these other books bite off of.

Anthem

Yeah that'd be another one I'd put on the required list.

Exquisite Corpse

Poppy?

Interview and The Stand should basicly be required reading.

I'd put The 7 Habits Of Highly Effective People by Covey on that list also. Its the grandaddy of the modern self help book that all these other books bite off of.

Yeah that'd be another one I'd put on the required list.

Poppy?

Yes, that's the book I am reading by Covey. I was sleep deprived and couldn't remember the title. It's so funny because I got pretty hammered one night and passed out on my friend's couch. When I woke up the next morning I layed there and looked over at this shelf that had like 4 books on it, and I saw that one, grabbed it, and began reading it right then and there.

Also, was a bit disappointed with the ending of The Stand. Guess I wanted Flagg to suffer more.