Sooth Book.....

soothsayer

~For anyone that is willing to spend a few minutes reading...here is but a small part of my book. Enjoy ~

SLOAN - Chapter Four

"It's kind of a split, Our official response to the question is 'maybe'. " says guitarist Jay Ferguson about thoughts concerning the future of Sloan. This doubt in the bands future is the result of relations going sour between the band and their former label DGC. An unwillingness from Geffen to promote the bands second effort which resulted in weak record sales across the U.S. and Canada which left Sloan feeling they couldn't go on with such a situation."Geffen basically wanted us to deliver Smeared 2." Ferguson says of the label's negative reaction to their second release, Twice Removed. "They wanted something that would stand up next to the new Smashing Pumpkins record. We didn't deliver that record and it really frustrated them." Ferguson is quick to add that the band's reservations about how they were treated south of the border did not carry over to MCA, which handles Geffen's acts in Canada. "We have no problems with MCA Canada," he says. "And there are different opinions within our band about Geffen. My opinion is that there are people at Geffen in the States who are very supportive. But even with certain people working for you, if there are certain people working against you it's like a brick wall. It was totally frustrating for us."

No less frustrating are the misunderstandings that have surrounded Sloan's hiatus from the public, rumors have been posted frequently on Sloan net about this and fans wonder what will become of the bands future. Jay gives a little ray of sunshine by saying "A lot of people think we got dropped, and therefore we're just gonna split up and drift away. That wasn't the case. Geffen wanted to pick up our next two albums, but we decided against it and told them that we're not going to make any more records." Comments Patrick Pentland on the so called demise of Sloan. "I think we took a lot of pressure off ourselves after Twice Removed by basically trying to hibernate, which got blown up into you're breaking up, which we turned into; `Sure we're breaking up, if you say we are. We'll come

out with a new record whenever we want.' "

"We took a break and then we started working together again, but without any outside pressures. We realized we still really enjoyed playing together again as a band." Patrick adds and also says that the turning point came when the band extricated itself from their contract with Geffen Records in the U.S. and

Andrew Scott says of this situation, "That stuff about me causing a breakup, it was completely wrong. I guess it was an easy explanation because I live in Toronto, but it wasn't like I precipitated anything by moving, I've lived in Toronto for years.

I was living in Toronto even before we signed with Geffen."

Turbulent times for artists can often produce some of their best

work, as is the case with Sloan's third release One Chord To Another. And in true Sloan style was recorded in a way that most groups think would never work, but somehow they overcame the odds. Recorded at home in Halifax the band came together to begin recording the basic tracks that would become their next release. This project would be a four man effort, well, sort of. With three members of the band residing in Halifax and one in Toronto, the band needed to get creative about creating. "Jay, Patrick and I recorded demos and sent them to Andrew in Toronto and said, 'Learn these on the drums'." says Chris. It seems odd for a band's membership to be divided by such a vast swath of terrain. Setting up rehearsals and recording dates is an exercise in travel agents and arrangements. Frequent flyer miles anyone?

Looks like you have a good start there Sooth, good luck with that. I know that there aren't many out there to know more about them than you.

Don't worry too much about the lack of response here. you know that no one really knows Sloan except you and Dyno.

Btw, I added gaps between the paragraphs so that it might be a little easier to read. I could tell that the were there when you posted, but they werent appearing for some reason.

Thank you Marblez for cleaning the post up. You are a sweetie (And I'm being serious here) and thank you Dyno for your 2 cents (You are my best fan) :wink : Ok, that was from the movie " That thing you do " in case your wondering Dyno. This weekend I meet with my publisher so we can figure out the details about the book and work on the cover. The book will be out around or shortly after Sloan's greatist hits CD comes out.

I will be giving Marblez and Dyno free copies.

YAY! Another person with good taste in music (no offense to others :tongue: ). My somewhat un authorized book (two members have told me face to face that they are fine about my book) will be sold via the internet through Sloan's web site. Their web master has agreed to post a link to the order site I will have up. Other places to find the book will be some local music stores. More details to come. I am currently a one man production team. I need a secratary to take dictation. Wha !?!?!?!?!? :laughing:

• 1 month later...
Guest PumpkinPete

Very well written.

Never got into the band, but a good story is a good story.

Looks like you know what you are doing and what you want to say.

Good for you.

I hope the band and their fans appreciate it.

c

Archived