Dispare

nothin has seem to be going right for me afor a few days. Oh i posted on here saying ill be moving up to GR to do this Culinary Arts thing. And now I cant , my probation officer will not let me go untill i pay pff hte 900.00 I owe ( only that 2 weeks ago he said I could do this ) plus the place will not take me in becuase Im on probation. I was really really looking forward to this and all, starting over and shit and moving on. Now Im stuck here. I have been crying all day . I am once again stuck with no job and no money and no food. No one will buy my car no one will hang out with me ( am i that much of a bummer ) !?!?!? I dont know what to do anymore. I was relly hoping this thing would work out, I have tryed to reason with my probation officer and he will not let me go, and also he has extended my probation for another 2 years or untill i get this payed off. I wish someone would help me pit. Ive been though FIA and SSI and im not "poor" enough to apply. NO one in my family will help me and on top of all that me and marco have to move out of the place we are living and we have no job and no money to move into an apartment . I wish someone was out there to lend me a good ear and a nice meal mabey I need help and I dont know where else to look.I go job to job and I have my resumes on hotjobs mijobs career builder everywere and no one is getting back to me

I dont know what to do anymore ( plus mu computer is acting up and i can only get on fom th library )

im sorry im babling I know people have it worser right now but it just feels liek im the only one in the world

if amyone want to hang ou or talk please feel free to call 586-707-0335

cheers

Becky

:blink:

Sorry to hear about your troubles. That IS a lot of bummer for one person.

However, if you want to work and want food, there are options. I speak from experience here - so either take my advice or no, it's up to you.

First - Food. If you have ANY money, there are places you can get food CHEAP. There are bakery outlets all over the place where you can get bread for as little as 35 cents a loaf. They often carry other foods as well at a real discount price.

There are grocery outlets where you can get food real cheap. I know a guy who sells at a flea market near my home here in NC. The food is fine - what happens is if a pallet gets dropped or the packaging gets damaged by stock persons overzealous with their box cutters (cut through the cardboard cartons into the boxes inside), the store sells the stuff to people like this guy for pennies on the dollar. The food is NOT expired nor spoiled, but you have to swallow your pride and say to yourself, "I can take care of myself with this stuff, so why not?" Just be wise - pick stuff like those instant meals that, if the outside box is compromised, it doesn't matter 'cause the stuff inside the box is all separately sealed anyway. Heck, a lot of the times there isn't even any damage to this stuff, either.

The dollar store has some cheap options. Just be a bit wise about what you pick - they're not always necessarily cheaper than other grocery stores. For instance, they sell catfood 3/$1.00, with is like 33 cents each. But I pay 29 cents each for the same catfood at Wal-Mart. But you can get a jar of peanut butter and other things at a great price to tide you over.

Money - Two words: Day labor. My husband and I had to do this when we were in bad shape in Florida for a few months. You have to sign up with them initially, then you get work in one of two ways: either you show up EVERY DAY at something like 7-8:00 a.m. and they give you what's available and you go off to work for the day; or, you can get lucky and get a steady assignment where you get to skip going to the day labor office in the morning and just go directly to your assigned workplace until they don't need you anymore, in which case you just have to go back to the office to hand in your paperwork and get a weekly paycheck if you choose that method. They pay minimum wage, but you get a check EVERY DAY when your workday is over. You go back to the office and they hand you a check you can cash immediately. You will bring home about $35.00 a day, which is $700 a month - more than enough to pay cheap rent, get gas for the car, and get some food. Two people working together makes things even sweeter.

The jobs range from the most menial of factory work, stocking shelves, other similar things and even some secretarial positions. My husband and I lucked out to get a weekly assignment at a plastics factory. We sat in chairs next to machines all day, picking up the pieces that automatically fall out of the machines, checking them over and throwing them in a box. It was easy work, and enabled us to earn desperately needed money so we could pay for a place to stay and feed ourselves.

There are day labor offices in nearly every city. I don't remember where you're at right now, but I bet you could find an office nearby. JobForce might be the name of the set-up in Michigan.

They also usually have some kind of shuttle service that'll take you to the job if you can't do more than drive yourself or take a bus to the office.

And don't worry about the probation - all types of people work these jobs, from just-released prisoners to people who just plain are going through a tough time in their lives. Again - I speak from experience. I had several years of college under my belt and have worked for major corporations - I swallowed my pride and was thankful for a "way out".

Kelly Services - When my husband first moved to Michigan, he was unskilled, inexperienced, and jobless. He applied at Kelly on Friday and was on assignment by Monday earning $7.00 an hour moving plastic bottles from one machine to another in a bottle-making shop. When the bottles were "cooking", he and the other guys got to play basketball behind the shop. Sweet. I don't know how the economy has affected Kelly's ability to place people - but there is NO harm in at least going there and getting on their database. You never know.

Bottle/can returns - I know it's winter, so this isn't as feasible now. But, again, it's something unique to states like Michigan. When my husband couldn't stretch his Kelly Services income to include cigarettes, we went to parks and he picked up bottles to return for deposit so he could buy his smokes. When we worked together in state parks for the DNR, we LOVED trash detail - 'cause too many people throw their returnable bottles away instead of redeeming them and we REALLY benefitted - to the tune of about $20 a week.

There are options out there. They require a LOT of stuffing your ego away for a while, but you'll be able to take care of yourself. GOod luck.

you coul also donate plasma at Nabi Biomedical in Oak Park.

I think they changed their name but it should be listed somewhere in the yellow pages.

You get a needle stuck in your arm for 45 minutes while they drain your blood and take the plasma out. you get $20 each time you go and you can go twice a week.

It sounds like it sucks but I did it before and it's not as bad as it sounds. There isn't much pain really. and they have movies on while you're in the chair.

Nerdcore, I'm pinching pennies myself right now but just wanted to say hang in there. I really think you two have what it takes to get yourself back on your feet. (I've been broke myself more than a few times).

Critter has some really good advice there too, and BlackSunday's even offering to cook? Too bad I don't live in Detroit too ~ sounds good ;)

Does anyone know where the offices are for any sort of daylabor like Critter's referring to? I'm thinking the Salvation Army offices could direct you (is that the place)? My ex worked a few jobs there and ended up getting some good references and a good permanent job from the experience.

Onyx- If you're looking for work, 5/3 is hiring NOW for call center. They pay $10.00 an dhour and itr's full time with benefits. Check out the website, it's in Kentwood.

Labor Ready is the day labor service here in GR.. my roomies used to drive cars for the auctions through them and I think they pay around $6. Manpower and Kelly also seem to have stuff now.

Onyx- If you're looking for work, 5/3 is hiring NOW for call center. They pay $10.00 an dhour and itr's full time with benefits.  Check out the website, it's in Kentwood.

Labor Ready is the day labor service here in GR.. my roomies used to drive cars for the auctions through them and I think they pay around $6. Manpower  and Kelly also seem to have stuff now.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Aww thank you! Everyone here is so helpful ~ I love this place. I have a job at present, but maybe someone else on this side of the state can use that info.

I was asking on behalf of Nerdcore, about places around Detroit since I don't live there and neither does Critter. I was hoping someone could post the addresses for her so she could go check them out. Labor Ready sounds familiar. I could swear I've seen that sign somewhere near Detroit.

http://www.laborready.com/home/common/tempjobs.asp#

http://www.snelling.com/

http://www.kellyservices.us/eprise/main/we...s/en/index.html

the only thing i have to say about this is that brian nad i have been trying withthe above places and not had much luck but they change so often who knows keep trying

also for food you can contact local churches there are many who help with food and they may know of other services that may help you even if you are not religious it is worth a try

i also know there is a place in mt clemens (the salvation army) they have a bread/bake good table all ya have to do is walk in write you name on apaper ntake what ever ya want they often have small pies and bread left over from yesterday that a store donated to them i have used it befor and they actually have have some nice things sometimes i mean like french itilain bread donoughts cupcakes etc... just depends on how much was not sold the day befor

also check with FIA again tell them you are about to loose your home n if you have an eviction notice they might be willing to help

also do something like what i was talking aboutthe night you were over go through your closet and see what you can purdge and postthe items up here to sell or on craiglist, ebay, etc.... ya know brian told ya we have the camera if ya need any pics of the items taken

i ahve also done as mentioned by some one else the bottle return thing hell it is snowing right now get a shovel n see if ya cna get any one to let ya shovel there snow for like $10 or something i have already had 4 kids/teens stop by today to ask me if they can shovel my snow hell brain n i were telking the other day if we only had snow we could try to make a little money shoveling

well

went to labour ready today and waited 3 hrs for nothing . got up bright an early at 5 am trecked out in the cold so threy could open at six am . filled out some paper work watched a video and waited....

and waited...

and waited..

by 10 i said im going hom they said leave your numer and we might get you some work in the evening.

also if anyone likes taking serveys and needs a 5.00 or 10.00 go to okland mall. there are people there bugging you to take silly surveys and get $$ for it .

but it works

im cold and need some mint tea

cheers for now sorry about the ranting and raving its just been so depressing..

even when your suicidle

cheers

:blink:

also if anyone likes taking serveys and needs a 5.00 or 10.00 go to okland mall. there are people there bugging you to take silly surveys and get $$ for it .

but it works

my friend takes ONLINE surveys all the time and gets some money for those. you can check into that and i will ask her myself about it and see if that is even something you want to do for a little extra $$

You need to start looking at what you do have...EACH OTHER. At least you aren't going through it ALONE. I've been there...ALONE with a two week old child, no job, no money, no friends, no food. Hence the reason why I started dancing. Things are finally turning around in a material sense but I am still ALONE. Sorry to burden you with my depression. If you need to talk, email me...fallennon@yahoo.com. I'm really good at listening.

also do something like what i was talking aboutthe night you were over go through your closet  and see what you can purdge and postthe items up here  to sell or on craiglist, ebay, etc.... ya know brian told ya we have the camera if ya need any pics of the items taken

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I supported myself pretty well selling off everything I owned on Ebay---for 7 months! (I even paid my credit cards) I'm still doing it part time to boost my low income. If you need advice or help with it, mail me.

I'm glad to hear you gave Labor Ready a try. Don't give up on them - it's good, honest income and you can take pride in knowing you actually put some effort and action into helping YOURSELF. That goes a looooooooooooooong way toward lifting depression & improving self worth.

Do be open to taking work on different shifts. My husband and I worked midnights for a while for the office down in Florida. It was actually more enjoyable (if you can call that sort of work "enjoyable"). There were a lot less people to bug you, the pace is sometimes more laid-back, there were less noisy machines running, etc.

Try to stick it out at the office, too. Bring things you can do to occupy yourself - check out some educational books at the library, or better yet - check out some humor to boost your spirit. If you stick it out, you'll impress them and they'll more than likely try harder to get you some real work.

I'm very proud of you for taking that step, Becky. More power to you!

By the way, the same time my husband and I were in a similar struggle, we were lucky enough to be friends with a guy who worked at a bagel shop. He brought home huge bags of leftovers that weren't sold by the end of the day, and very happily gave us most of them. My husband didn't know I was doing it, but I was skimping on what little I actually cooked so he could have the bulk of the better food. But I was able to do so by chowing down on tons of those bagels (the weight-loss that resulted was a fringe-benefit.)

Funny thing is, you'd think I'd hate them now, but I get a warm, full feeling when I drive by an Einstein Brothers...

Anyway, if you have any friends who work food service, you might hit them up for similar help.

Oh, another thought - something else that helped feed my husband and I was showing up at grocery stores that have hot deli food around the time the deli closes. Usually, they'll package up what's left and sell it SUPER cheap. Those delis close around 7:00-9:00, depending on the store.

Damn, now that I remember, so do some mall food court places. Sbarro used to, and we'd get huge slices of stuffed pizza for something like $1.00 each.

I have to add - eBay really is a Godsend. I now do it as a full-time job, but it started off out of desperation. A little story that might inspire you:

Both my husband and I were out of work and living with my parents. We were driving around one day and saw all sorts of stuff sitting on the curb waiting for the garbage truck. We looked at each other, shared an unspoken thought, and ended up garbage-picking (or junking, as we called it). We got to be "professional junkers" - I photocopied maps of the downriver neighborhoods, and used highlighters to indicate which areas put out their trash on given nights. Every Sunday night through Thursday night, we were out in the car driving our "territories".

Initially, we sold the stuff we picked up at garage sales. Then we discovered eBay around this time, and started looking up what some of our finds might be worth. Some early finds: a Stylophone electronic musical instrument that sold for $110, a piece of Roseville pottery - $68, Slot car parts - $77, an Aunt Jemima Syrup Pitcher - $35, etc. You get the picture.

ALL of that came from the trash. People throw out INSANE things. I have an antique watch, a sterling & amethyst brooch and some other jewelry someone just tossed. It's unbelieveable.

We bought our first digital camera with money we earned from yard sales. We "borrowed" my parent's computer (the library would work, too) to do the listings. By the end of our first 2 weeks of auctions, we had made $697.00. With that, we bought our own computer.

ALL of that money basically came from the TRASH.

Now, we don't do the junking anymore - I pick up stuff from yard sales. But if we still lived in suburban Detroit, you'd better believe we'd still be junking.

It really is possible. If you have a vehicle, access to a computer & digital camera, and some basic communication skills, you can make it happen.

eBay has made things a lot easier these days, too. They even have live-help available via IM-style chats to walk you through the process if you need. And you no longer need to have a credit card to sign-up.

Anyway, it's just a thought...

Others have given good insight and great suggestions. Many of us have been in the situation you are now and may still be there.

To add my own .02, I've had to shop on a extremely strict budget before. Check your local grocery store for sales on dried goods like Ramen packets and pasta. Both are filling, and while not necessarily the greatest in nutrition, it will keep you fed. Getting store brand items rather than brand name (IE Meijer brand rather than Del Monte) will save you in the long run as well. Cans of soup can be watered down to make enough of a meal for two people if you add a sandwich made of Carl Budding meat slices.

You can also check out various food banks in the area such as:

Gleaner's Food Bank

The Food Bank Council of Michigan

Michigan Sportsmen Against Hunger

Food Gatherers

For information on the emergency food assistance program in Oakland County, call (800) 482-9250.

Various Food Assistance Programs/Locations (Opens a .PDF file)

Capuchin Soup Kitchen

Crossroads Soup Kitchen

Also, if you're really hard up for food, check out local area churches as well. Often, especially during the winter when things are the hardest, they will have food banks. I don't know if they have them in this area, but in California, there were food banks that if you donate a certain amount of time at the bank, they would give you food in return.

On other fronts:

Dumpster Diving For Fun & Profit

Becky, people have given a lot of good information here about how survival is very possible. But you need to address yourself first. Things may look bleak now, but they CAN turn around; you know they can. Try to have the most positive attitude that you can and remember that this is only temporary; it's not forever. But you also have to WANT to fix it as well. You may not like working retail, heck I know I don't . . . . . but sometimes we have to do what we don't want to do to get to where we DO want to be.

Self edited for spelling and grammar

some really great advice here.

especially all the time critter put into it to give some excellent options. (critter, i think you missed your calling)

and black sunday told me he is serious about the cooking so if you really need it that is wonder you have that option too.

i hope you do whatever you can to get yourself out of this situation and back on your feet again. hopefully this advice given here helps you.

good luck.

to EVERYONE!

thanks so muc for all te good advice and all

all of you have reallye helped

I thank you all so much

and my computer is down right now if anyone is trying to get ahold of me please feel free to call

586-707-0335 im on and off at the library computers righ now

god bless you all

i have never knowns a nicer grup of people

*hugs to all*

A few things that are cheap to eat is Ramon noodles. I can get a box of them from Save Alot for $1.50. Think it has 20 packages in a box. If they start to taste plain for you like they have me get the fake cheese they sell. The stuff that is in the box. It's around $2.00. Slice you off a pieace and put it in them when it's still good and hot. Changes the taste of them. I've also used black pepper for flavor. Another cheap food to make is Chilli. You can get all the stuff to make a pot of chilli for around 4 or 5 dollars.

I went through Addecco and Kellys temp service here tring to get work. They kept me busy till Thanksgiving then things slacked off. Not sure if you have Manpower in Michigan or not but that is another Temp service. Not sure how your unemployment offices are setup there but here we have a place called Your Job Store. You can go use thier computers to look for work and they will help you with a resume. They will even print you off 10 copies a day for free.

I know all to well what your going through. I got laid off 2 years ago from the construction job I had. I went 8 months on unemployment tring to find a job. Finally started working again almost caught back up and got laid off again. Just hang in there! Keep telling yourself things will get better. Always keep in mind your friends care. Sometimes it's that alone that keeps you going.

Hope this helps you at all.

we have a place called Your Job Store. You can go use thier computers to look for work and they will help you with a resume. They will even print you off 10 copies a day for free.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

In Michigan it's call MIWorks or Michigan Works. Acutually, you can even access the MI Works website and work on your resume from home. Then just show up at a location and print some resumes. There are people around the center to help with resume ideas and they have tons of papers on building better resumes.

Archived