Not enough people of color....

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

sorry but this reminded me of a story from when i was little and is off topic but i want to share it:

my best friend at about age four or five was this girl named benita. one day benita was talking about our skin color. i told her i was peach and she was brown. and she got mad at me and said no, i am black and you are white. and i was like no my skin is definately NOT white. i am peach. and you are definately brown.

i really didn't get the "black" and "white" and "other" thing back then. it has never been pointed out to me.

i just thought i looked more like a peach crayon and she looked like a brown crayon. and i liked that. and her saying i was wrong was pretty upsetting to me.

she was coming from a "we are different races" point of view. i was coming from a "i like our pretty colors" point of view. ;)

Most people of color... well, my color anyway... are much too conservative to be into anything like this.  Plus there are very strong cultural taboos around doing anything that's "for white people".

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hmmmm.....interesting.

I think it it comes down to social classes and your surroundings when growing up. The culture around you as a child will influence how you think, dress and your behavior more than anything.

I was in a metal band with two friends that were not 'white'. Their family had more money than mine and becuase of the area they grew up in, I think the kids in the neighborhood influenced them. Not that they ever thought they had to fit in it was just what the other kids were into. Maybe that is why the goth scene is what it is.

i think it is because other people, any other people, think goths are a bunch of crazy white people. and who wants to mess with that.  =P

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That's right! I heard they are all crazy white people with guns (and they collect huge arsenals of assault rifles) and combat boots and trench coats who drink each other's blood and have crazy sex orgies with whips and chains and satanic ritual suicides and virgin sacrifices, all while listening to Marilyn Manson and they never drink water, only blood and absinthe, and in fact water will make them disappear into a puff of smoke, and they melt into little black goth puddles on the sidewalk if exposed to direct sunlight. Undead, undead! :tongue:

I do notice a few people of color around though. There seem to be quite a few of mixed race also (racial mixes aren't always that obvious).

Edited by Onyx

nah, im from the mid west... :wink

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I thought paradox was of middle eastern desent.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Mideast, Midwest -- these terms are often confused with one another.

When you say "not enough" do you mean you think the scene is exclusionary (is that a word?) in some way?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Good point... how much is 'enough'?

here in cali .. white people are the minority .. I have met so many hispanic and blk goths is crazy and interesting mix.. a few goths have even mixed mexican traditional dancing in with all the fun :blink try doing the cha cha to NIN :fear

Edited by Nerdcore

wish I could visit..... :devil

Do you have a good goth/industrial night club?

here in cali .. white people are the minority .. I have met so many hispanic and blk goths is crazy and interesting mix.. a few goths have even mixed mexican traditional dancing in with all the fun :blink  try doing the cha cha to NIN :fear

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That's right!  I heard they are all crazy white people with guns (and they collect huge arsenals of assault rifles) and combat boots and trench coats who drink each other's blood and have crazy sex orgies with whips and chains and satanic ritual suicides and virgin sacrifices, all while listening to Marilyn Manson and they never drink water, only blood and absinthe, and in fact water will make them disappear into a puff of smoke, and they melt into little black goth puddles on the sidewalk if exposed to direct sunlight.  Undead, undead!  :tongue:

I do notice a few people of color around though.  There seem to be quite a few of mixed race also (racial mixes aren't always that obvious).

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ha... when I first went to Michigan State, my mother (an educated woman with a lot ov radical friends from a variety of ethnic & social backgrounds, by the way) warned me about "those crazy white kids" and how they would give parties with bowls of "drugs" on the coffee table like pretzels & people would put LSD in your drink when you weren't looking so they could laugh at you freaking out...

I spent a lot ov time searching for those damn parties... 25 years later, I've still yet to be invited to one. Guess I just never met the right bunch ov crazy white kids :tear

Most people of color... well, my color anyway... are much too conservative to be into anything like this.  Plus there are very strong cultural taboos around doing anything that's "for white people".

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

and on that matter, i noticed a huge spike in the number of "of color" people at the gathering this year.

We miss ya Becky....oh I wonder if there is a good goth club in Mexico....now that would be a riot.

bar sinister is really good so far.. everything is out in la which is like 6 hrs from me( im near the mexico boarder)

also this british pub called pennylane has alof of goths/old punks come in good for a great english meal :p

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>