Best Punk Rock Band of All Time

Guest Game of Chance

name a song if you vote please  

24 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

EEEK Game I can't believe you left out The Ramones!!!!!!!!!

Only the ones to give birth to punk rock. CBGB's 1974 The Ramones played the first punk rock show ever.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Incorrect.

(Iggy and) The Stooges released their first self-titled LP in 1969. Punk rock, as it's known today, was born in Ann Arbor. :wink

From the Publisher:

By 1970, the hippie dream of the 60s was dead—the soundtrack to the revolution had become a multimillion–dollar industry. But four years later, emerging from the rubble of rock, was a music whose hard edge matched the lifestyle of its home turf—New York’s East Village. Punk’s initiators—Richard Hell, Tom Verlaine, and Patti Smith—had one foot in 19th–century French symbolist poetry and the other in the raw sound of predecessors like the Velvet Underground. Now, in New York Rocker, Gary Valentine offers an inside account of this little–documented era. He talks about the luminaries—like Debbie Harry, Lou Reed, Iggy Pop, David Bowie, Devo, and the New York Dolls—and the gigs at CBGBs hitting the news as Warhol and his glittering crew descended. What began as a unique blend of fin–de–siècle ennui and edgy rock, exploded worldwide into an anarchic frenzy of safety pins and gutter decadence, then plunged into excess and eventual ruin—with its survivors making a leap into the mainstream.

To quote me and then throw in what you think defines punk rock history is all good and fine. I was talking about the actual beginning of the entire punk rock explosion which, from the quoted text I have provided, shows I am not the only one to believe punk began in NYC. If you want to split hairs about whom started punk we could trace it to the MC5 or a lesser know NY group from the mid 60's called the virgin fug. Punk attitude has always been in rock music since day one but, the actual coined phrase "punk rock" did not come about until after The Ramones began whom, I may add, inspired the clash, sex pistols and countless other punk groups from England to cause a punk revolution in 1976. I would like to slpit hairs farther and break down the history in more detail but I am too tired.

To quote me and then throw in what you think defines punk rock history is all good and fine. I was talking about the actual beginning of the entire punk rock explosion which, from the quoted text I have provided, shows I am not the only one to believe punk began in NYC. If you want to split hairs about whom started punk we could trace it to the MC5 or a lesser know NY group from the mid 60's called the virgin fug. Punk attitude has always been in rock music since day one but, the actual coined phrase "punk rock" did not come about until after The Ramones began whom, I may add, inspired the clash, sex pistols and countless other punk groups from England to cause a punk revolution in 1976. I would like to slpit hairs farther and break down the history in more detail but I am too tired.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

By that logic, Mod didn't happen in the UK until 1963 -- and even the NME (UK music magazine, New Music Express), in their Mod issue of their "NME Originals" editions, explains very plainly that the Mod scene began in the early 1950s, not with The Who (or even their early incarnation as The High Numbers) and The Kinks, but with Georgie Fame and other blues and jazz musicians.

By that logic, Mod didn't happen in the UK until 1963 -- and even the NME (UK music magazine, New Music Express), in their Mod issue of their "NME Originals" editions, explains very plainly that the Mod scene began in the early 1950s, not with The Who (or even their early incarnation as The High Numbers) and The Kinks, but with Georgie Fame and other blues and jazz musicians.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

True, I will agree to what you have said. I was simply just saying the actual "punk explosion" as it was coined in the mid to late 70's began with the movement in NYC. It's humble origins could and can be traced farther back to bands that pre-dated even The Who. So, it could in actual fact, be anyone's best educated guess as to where it actually started.

I have read numerous books on punk rock and everyone that was attatched to the scene or music in general seems to support the idea that it began in NY. Hell, it could've started with some never to be remembered act from Scotland that set the ball rolling, who can really say for sure? I admire you for doing your homework. =)

True, I will agree to what you have said. I was simply just saying the actual "punk explosion" as it was coined in the mid to late 70's began with the movement in NYC. It's humble origins could and can be traced farther back to bands that pre-dated even The Who. So, it could in actual fact, be anyone's best educated guess as to where it actually started.

I have read numerous books on punk rock and everyone that was attatched to the scene or music in general seems to support the idea that it began in NY. Hell, it could've started with some never to be remembered act from Scotland that set the ball rolling, who can really say for sure? I admire you for doing your homework. =)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Actually, the closest band to what tou describe was Q65, but they were from The Netherlands, formed in 1964, had a few English-language singles in 1965. They're still together, actually, but they have a different singer.

ahhhh..... punk rock was around long before the ramones or 1974 for that matter soothy .... maybe it just depends on what your idea of punk is .. =)  of course Im not trying to put you down =) :hugs: I like me a soothy lol ...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

yes punk exsisted before 1974, but does that mean the Ramones shouldn't be mentioned here?

They're still one of the best, even though they're not the first

Besides...I'm missing The RESIDENTS

They were everything before anyone...you name it

punk, world music, techno....the list goes on

GREAT Game though....Game

EEEK Game I can't believe you left out The Ramones!!!!!!!!!

Only the ones to give birth to punk rock. CBGB's 1974 The Ramones played the first punk rock show ever. For the choices listed I went with The Misfits for pure goth/punk look and sound. Inovators to say the least.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

/agree

The Ramones need to to be on there

I'd have listed Televison, or the Voidoids before many of tha bands on your list, man. Many of the groups listed are not proper punk but lo-fi, post-punk such as any of of the 80's California bands you've listed.

Bands that can correctly be called punk, here, include:

The Dead Boys

The Sex Pistols

Bands arguably "punk":

The Dead Kennedys

The Damned (although their style changed quite a bit on later albums)

The Clash (although their style changed quite a bit on later albums)

Exploited (although their style changed quite a bit on later albums)

I'm not putting any connotations on "punk" or "post-punk", it's just that the sounds and attitudes of these groups belong to seperate (although closely related) movements which also occupy different periods of rock culture.

I'd say of the punk choices available, the Sex Pistols were the most profound, like them or not.

*Note on The Damned

While the Damned's earlier music was punk, it was goth punk, the earliest appearance of goth music. Some other early goth musicians were the X-Ray Spex, and PIL. This type of music shared the rough sounds of punk rock music but often took on nihilisst themes, and horrific, vivid imagry in lyrics and usually included a vocalist who howled thier lyrics in primal fashion.

damned%20live.jpg

Damned live, 1977

Oh, I forgot to name a song by the band I chose, as you requested. 'Pretty Vaccant' is like an anthem of the punk movement. Similarly, if Richard Hell and the Voidoids had been an option, I'd have put 'The Blank Generation'.

i voted for the sex pistols because when i was little my mom had 2 sex pistols pins and they were the first band i had heard/heard of that was punk. they are not a favorite of mine but they are who i voted for based on my little story here.

Guest MsMaldoror

Why isn't Green Day on the list? OK, I'm kidding!

This is a tough poll. So many bands were/are unique and left their own mark and continue to influence others. SST records was a great idea until it became rather corrupt and owed the artists it represented lots of money. Hardcore punk was/is its own genre. I love a lot of the bands listed, but I went with the Dead Kennedys because I'm biased. They've been rocking my world for close to 20 years now--since I was a little skate girl in middle school.

Why isn't Green Day on the list?  OK, I'm kidding! 

This is a tough poll.  So many bands were/are unique and left their own mark and continue to influence others.  SST records was a great idea until it became rather corrupt and owed the artists it represented lots of money.  Hardcore punk was/is its own genre.  I love a lot of the bands listed, but I went with the Dead Kennedys because I'm biased.  They've been rocking my world for close to 20 years now--since I was a little skate girl in middle school.

Jello and the crew were next on the list for me... :cool

It's tough to choose because many of these bands were in their own "sub-genre" of the overall punk/alternative/hardcore scene. I think a better word would be "most significant" or alternately this should be a poll of "my favorite".

Guest Megalicious

Incorrect.

(Iggy and) The Stooges released their first self-titled LP in 1969.  Punk rock, as it's known today, was born in Ann Arbor.  :wink

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

very correct Rozz.......

Archived