So Bush appointed Bolten to the UN...

It's a Recess appointment. It's not something Bush made up. Congress should have given Bolton an Up/Down vote when they were in session rather than pushing it off. A recess appointment only lasts until the next congress session, at which point congress is forced to actually do their damn job and vote.

It's a Recess appointment. It's not something Bush made up. Congress should have given Bolton an Up/Down vote when they were in session rather than pushing it off. A recess appointment only lasts until the next congress session, at which point congress is forced to actually do their damn job and vote.

That is something anyway....

The more I hear about the U.N. from both sides - left wing and right wing - the more I think having someone with this guy's attitude might not be such a bad thing.

If you think I'm misinformed, please do educate me here. I'd like to know what is good/bad about the U.N. and how you think having Bolton as our rep is a good/bad thing.

Thanks for educating me, fellow citizens.

I think this bozo is just another one of these good ole boys that bush has. His cronies are all a bunch of racist fucks who are a lying pack of wolves who are not interested in anything but their own agenda's........but so are most politicians it is a flawed system but its the only one we have

The United States is a UN member and has ratified many international agreements that we are therefore, subject to, such as the Geneva Convention and the United Nations Convention Against Torture (ratified by the United States in 1994). Regardless of whether you would like to live in a land where government can do as it sees fit, unchecked by either it's citizens or basic agreements on the common rights of humanity, we are, none the less, bound to civility and sworn to uphold it.

Anything less is evil, yes, but also stupid.

• 2 weeks later...

Oh my, my, my. Where do I begin? Oh yeah. FC, I want to bury the hatchet now. My views are stemmed from growing anger and frustration at a man who honestly does not give a shit about what anone thinks but his oil-drilling, jeus-blowing buddies, and I'm at my wits end! Please don't take anything personal, as it's not even aimed at an intelligent human being, but rather

a letter of the alphabet.

THIS WILL POSSIBLY BE MY DRYEST POST EVER! I'm not even quite sure where to insert humor, however if you'd like to do it later, or put little googlies around my post,

GO AHEAD

I ceased being surprised by anything this administration does.

That said, whatever happened to a system of checks and balances? What's with things when a president can just override every single system of control/compromise/negotiation by methods like this?

I just don't get it.

He just doesn't care. He knows that the congresspeople asked for the release of documents to shed some more light on his record, and Bush refused because that would show what a hostile asshole he is (BTW, since, I will be acting like a hostile asshole through this post, I'd like to remind you there is no hypocrisy in that since, I' not gunning for a UN appointment)

Ah, the recess appointment. History check: The clause was originally written Congressional sessions were short, recesses were long, and the Senate was not always available to confirm presidential nominees.

It was never intended as an end-run around congress's check on presidential powers. If Bush would release some more of those documents, so Congress could make an informed decision, there wouldnt be a problem.

But that is something Bush is absolutely allergic to.

Now, This is where I start to lose it.

(BTW, when I do, if any one of you could help me find i, I'd really appreciate it. Otherwise I'll need some serious meds. :nut )

This whole up/down vote rhetoric is

ABSOLUTE HORSESHIT!

It is the most ingenous piece of horseshit rhetoric since the jesus freaks from intelligent design said we need to compare science to garbage science "to show both sides of the issue"

Let me lay a little fact on you.

Pop quiz.

In their first term, who got more of his judicial nominees to positions on the bench?

Clinton

or

Bush?

Well, you'd have to say Clinton, because there was no gridlock and no complaining about up or down votes, and he got away with EVERYTHING including boinking an intern.

You'd be wrong .

In fact, Bush has gotten an overwhelming majority (95%) of his nominees to the bench.

The reason, is Democrats lie down while Independent-minded conservatives sit-down when jackasses like Bolton come through.

THe whole Up/down vote rhetoric is a straw argument b/c, whoever Bush nominates will win since there's a GOP majority,

and they wont say no to one of his noms FOR ANYTHING lest they get the wrath of the right like Sen D'amato with the abortion question.

The DIFFERENCE was under Clinton, with a GOP majority in congress, they were still stifled, but they died in committee, since there were more repubs. there.

So, it was still the same problem. Good candidates would go to commitee and you'd never hear of them again,

hence Clinton couldnt complain of the up/down problem.

THEY NEVER GOT TO THE SENATE FLOOR IN THE FIRST PLACE!

The only true up/down vote is in a democracy where the people vote on every issue ( and apparently never sleep!)

as opposed to a republic where we let big corporations buy out a select few privileged candidates to make our decisions for us.

ASK YOUR SELVES ONE QUESTION....

If the democrats ruled both sides of Congress, would a SINGLE fucking republican be complaining about candidates getting an up/down vote from congress

NO, I didnt think so.

It's a horse shit argument and anyone who says otherwise is either:

A an ideologoical conservative

B someone who hears ideological conservative rhetoric so much they cant help but think theres actual validity to it

I could be mistaken, but I hear that Bolton has little but contempt for the UN.  I'm not sure that's the kind of man I'd want going in there...unless, of course, I wanted to tell off everyone at the UN, and probably, y'know, make lots of enemies.

The more I hear about the U.N. from both sides - left wing and right wing - the more I think having someone with this guy's attitude might not be such a bad thing.

If you think I'm misinformed, please do educate me here. I'd like to know what is good/bad about the U.N. and how you think having Bolton as our rep is a good/bad thing.

Thanks for educating me, fellow citizens.

I have sooooo much to say about this issue but I have to go now Sorry.

I was going to bitch about all the things he's against like the Intl Criminal Court, and the Kyoto Protocol and how our national security is at risk without a strong UN but Im sorry I cant right now Maybe later.

FYI: The Kyoto Protocol is an amendment to the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC), an international treaty on global warming. It also reaffirms sections of the UNFCCC. Countries which ratify this protocol commit to reduce their emissions of carbon dioxide and five other greenhouse gases, or engage in emissions trading if they maintain or increase emissions of these gases. A total of 141 countries have ratified the agreement.

Just a quick bj to posts that agree with my worldview Wish I could say more....

I think this bozo is just another one of these good ole boys that bush has.  His cronies are all a bunch of racist fucks who are a lying pack of wolves who are not interested in anything but their own agenda's

Damn right!

The United States is a UN member and has ratified many international agreements that we are therefore, subject to, such as the Geneva Convention and the United Nations Convention Against Torture (ratified by the United States in 1994). Regardless of whether you would like to live in a land where government can do as it sees fit, unchecked by either it's citizens or basic agreements on the common rights of humanity, we are, none the less, bound to civility and sworn to uphold it.

Anything less is evil, yes, but also stupid.

Here here!

I could be mistaken, but I hear that Bolton has little but contempt for the UN.  I'm not sure that's the kind of man I'd want going in there...unless, of course, I wanted to tell off everyone at the UN, and probably, y'know, make lots of enemies.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

A lot of Americans, myself included, have contempt for the UNited Nations.

I think this bozo is just another one of these good ole boys that bush has.  His cronies are all a bunch of racist fucks who are a lying pack of wolves who are not interested in anything but their own agenda's........but so are most politicians it is a flawed system but its the only one we have

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Good to see you have an open mind...

:cool

Archived