What new DGN features would you like to see?

Scary Guy

1 hour ago, et-novum said:

I would like a better block function. The current one is nearly useless.

As for other features, I'm not sure adding any features for the sake of adding features is useful if nobody uses them. So things like IRC, VR, etc may not get used with the current user base. Personally when I see features like that they aren't used or are used by one or two people only, I get a little turned off from the site as a whole. And on the subject of web scraping, I think it's actually important for website growth to have good SEO. I recognize this may be a divisive topic and search engine results are kinda shit right now because of low-effort internet sites anyway.

And to derail the topic fo bit, we need more active members (and I think most people would agree). Forums are unfortunately mostly dead but I think with the drama of mainstream social media sites they can make a comeback. However - there's still a real barrier because forums are very different than FB, TT, IG, and the rest. We don't have an app, which may cause a lot of people (especially younger people raised in the mobile age) to not try it for very long.

~~~~~

I was unaware that this site had a "block" function as the creator was adverse to it with this being a message board for sharing of information and ideas.

I'll have to check that out.

4 hours ago, TronRP said:

~~~~~

I was unaware that this site had a "block" function as the creator was adverse to it with this being a message board for sharing of information and ideas.

I'll have to check that out.

I think they might have meant ignore.

To a degree I agreed with Troy's vision on that.  However if it's a choice of platforms where one means having to see posts that others have posted as collapsed and they can still read your posts, and another where you block them and they can't read anything anymore nor do you see their content, many people are going to go with the second option either immediately, or later if they have a bad interaction with a user, resulting in them just leaving and effectively blocking the entire forum from their lives.

The problem with this though, is people will miss context if someone replies to a post that that they cannot see.  On top of that if they quote the post that could go one of two ways.  The first is it displays the quoted text normally and the blocked person can see it, while the second is it does not do that and just shows that there was a quote there.  This would also do fuckall if someone just copied the text directly like so:

"~~~~~

I'll have to check that out."

Though I think most just use the quote options anyway as they're easier.  Anyway I could see there being some new rule of "only use the quote button to quote other users on the forum" to try to mitigate that.

Administration is hard, but coming up with the rules for that seems to be much harder usually.  Which would be the better system?  It's kind of hard to say because different forum systems and moderation policies are going to appeal to different people.

On 8/27/2023 at 1:00 PM, TronRP said:

~~~~~

Yeah, there's a whole backstory to what happened there, but I left them where they were and created new ones because there was a complaint that the old stuff was gone.  Not gone, just the threads were discontinued...so they were pinned under the new ones.

Now that we are in a different era, I would like to tweak the board a bit.  But I'm not a tyrant so I don't mind the input.

I do tend to go overboard with organization and protected accessibility.  You wake up one day and click on DGN to find, "Insert key here for access", and have a Wednesday, Thursday, Friday moment.

:rofl:

As spectator to the backstory and one of the old Spooks of the "classic" era >.<  ...

Throw all that shit in the archive and let the ghosts haunt the cobwebs of the crypts.

Ah, still goth after all these years! 🤣

1 minute ago, n0Mad said:

As spectator to the backstory and one of the old Spooks of the "classic" era >.<  ...

Throw all that shit in the archive and let the ghosts haunt the cobwebs of the crypts.

Ah, still goth after all these years! 🤣

I am inclined to agree, but to go even further and say just archive the forum entirely and move over to a better system if the data cannot be migrated over.

The main problem this is comfy and a lot of people don't want to learn/deal with something new even if it is objectively better in every other way.

22 hours ago, Scary Guy said:

I am inclined to agree, but to go even further and say just archive the forum entirely and move over to a better system if the data cannot be migrated over.

The main problem this is comfy and a lot of people don't want to learn/deal with something new even if it is objectively better in every other way.

But this is my emotional support outdated forum format 😞

• 2 weeks later...

We have so many talented people here, would anyone be interested in a DGN Store subforum?

Each "store" would have its own thread in the subforum.  However, as we do not have a license to sell items, it would be more like window shopping where the member would post items for sell, but the actual transaction would have to take place on a site like PayPal or a link to an outside store run by the member.

3 hours ago, TronRP said:

We have so many talented people here, would anyone be interested in a DGN Store subforum?

Each "store" would have its own thread in the subforum.  However, as we do not have a license to sell items, it would be more like window shopping where the member would post items for sell, but the actual transaction would have to take place on a site like PayPal or a link to an outside store run by the member.

I figured that would make the most sense anyway, kind of like a Craigslist / Failbook Marketplace sort of thing.

1 hour ago, Scary Guy said:

I figured that would make the most sense anyway, kind of like a Craigslist / Failbook Marketplace sort of thing.

~~~~~

Ah.

I haven't used Craigslist since 2008 and I haven't been a regular on FB since 2009.  So at least there is something there if I need a reference model.

~~~~~

I'm sure there will be a need for a store usage guideline to ensure proper usage.

58 minutes ago, Scary Guy said:

Maybe less that and more the ability to upload HD/4K photos.

~~~~~
As this was set up on the server as a message board, I don't think it was proposed that there would be a need for HD/4K images at that time.  You might need to look into uploading to another service and providing a link to the images you want to share.

39 minutes ago, TronRP said:

~~~~~
As this was set up on the server as a message board, I don't think it was proposed that there would be a need for HD/4K images at that time.  You might need to look into uploading to another service and providing a link to the images you want to share.

It's a message board with a gallery function.  The only reason it isn't able to do that is because no one has upped the file size restrictions.  I'm fairly certain the new forum software should be able to handle it.

Not to mention if the files are hosted in-house that means less chance of posts with photos in them having dead links if those get removed from whatever hosting site, helping to preserve any future history.

Also it's more hoops for people who want to upload photos to jump through, and not everyone is so technologically inclined.

3 hours ago, Scary Guy said:

It's a message board with a gallery function.  The only reason it isn't able to do that is because no one has upped the file size restrictions.  I'm fairly certain the new forum software should be able to handle it.

Not to mention if the files are hosted in-house that means less chance of posts with photos in them having dead links if those get removed from whatever hosting site, helping to preserve any future history.

Also it's more hoops for people who want to upload photos to jump through, and not everyone is so technologically inclined.

~~~~~

I'll check into that.  I wasn't aware that it was a settings thing.

13 hours ago, TronRP said:

~~~~~

I'll check into that.  I wasn't aware that it was a settings thing.

I mean it may not be on this forum system, but I know it was on phpBB.  I'm pretty sure something similar exists, especially since this has gotten updates and we've had cameras that can produce 4K content for a while now.

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
2 hours ago, Anna Phylaxis said:

OK, this may or may not be the correct place to ask this question. If it’s not, I’m sorry. But why is the DGN Coffee House closed? That used to be a really Hoppin place.

~~~~~

No worries.

Due to a glitch that happened during an update in 2019, several older threads were locked due to them becoming unresponsive.  This is the new thread that was created as a continuation.  It contains a link to the original thread.

https://www.detroitgothic.net/topic/39568-dgn-coffee-house-contd/

• 2 weeks later...

OK: we need to be able to upload larger file sizes of photographs. It figures that all of my best pictures are ones that I can’t upload here lol.

I was trying to upload a good picture of myself, and there was zero chance of that occurring because of the file size 🤷🏻‍♀️

1 hour ago, Anna Phylaxis said:

OK: we need to be able to upload larger file sizes of photographs. It figures that all of my best pictures are ones that I can’t upload here lol.

I was trying to upload a good picture of myself, and there was zero chance of that occurring because of the file size 🤷🏻‍♀️

~~~~~

I have to admit, I haven't figure the file size thing out yet as I seem to be the only one who doesn't seem to run into that problem as I use a computer to upload images.

My question is are you uploading images or doing an "attach" of an image.  The attachments are limited to the editor that comes as part of the IP Board Suite.  We have no control over that.  However, if you Upload an image using a photo album, that is upload size is unlimited as it depends on the size of the free space available on the host server.

Just for reference if needed:

I hope this helps.

On 4/4/2024 at 9:55 PM, TronRP said:

~~~~~

I have to admit, I haven't figure the file size thing out yet as I seem to be the only one who doesn't seem to run into that problem as I use a computer to upload images.

My question is are you uploading images or doing an "attach" of an image.  The attachments are limited to the editor that comes as part of the IP Board Suite.  We have no control over that.  However, if you Upload an image using a photo album, that is upload size is unlimited as it depends on the size of the free space available on the host server.

Just for reference if needed:

I hope this helps.

I always use the add files button at the bottom of a post. So I don’t know. I just know that I don’t have a desktop computer so everything is done on my phone.

Edited by Anna Phylaxis

Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, Anna Phylaxis said:

I always use the add files button at the bottom of a post. So I don’t know. I just know that I don’t have a desktop computer so everything is done on my phone.

When adding files you also have to add that file into the post.

Which is just the dumbest crap, I mean why would anyone bother attaching it if they didn't mean to insert it?

I realize this issue is unrelated to what you were saying, but it made me think of it.

Edited by Scary Guy