Chasing the Unexplained (obligatory Paranormal thread)

The UFO talk in the other thread made me want to start this topic. Paranormal and unexplained stuff is a passion of mine but I never get to talk about it because I'm midway between a skeptic and a believer and because I just haven't met enough people into the weird shit as I am. I believe in the unexplainable, but I'm going to look for explainations first.

Also, most of the tradiationally paranormal topics have usually been taken from a Western lens, and that culture has smashed labels onto certain things (especially here in the US) as 'paranormal' and 'cryptid,' but many of those are actually spiritual and religous topics from other cultures. Being part of a religious/cultural tradition is a good enough explanation for me.

I was hoping we could use this thread to talk about, but not limited to, aliens, ghosts, cryptids, some of the sillier new age stuff, and anything else that makes you say "huh, what was that?"

Stone tape theory is an explanation for ghost sightings. From wikipedia,

The Stone Tape Theory is the speculation that ghosts and hauntings are analogous to tape recordings, and that mental impressions during emotional or traumatic events can be projected in the form of energy, "recorded" onto rocks and other items and "replayed" under certain conditions.

Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stone_Tape_Theory

I haven't fully accepted it (obviously it hasn't been proven and there's some holes in it), but I think the core of it is good. Ghosts typically don't interact with people directly and usually just seen or felt. If the emotions of a person were felt so strongly to be captured in the time/place or the conditions just right to capture the emotions, it kinda works as a 'snapshot' of the entity in that moment. IMO this would account for ghosts who are apparently different than they were when their human self died - the emotional trigger happened well before their actual death. But that also leaves a hole where you might have a recorded ghost present before the person dies. Perhaps that actually happens regularly and is where we get some of our stories of less traditional ghosts like poltergeists?

Edited by et-novum

8 minutes ago, et-novum said:

I thought you might say something like that XD

C'mon SG, there's not any X-files shit you roll around in your head? Not even for fun?

I have a lot of hypotheses in my head, which is where they usually stay until there is some real evidence to back them up.

I do like that one where Alex Jones is really Bill Hicks.  But I think that pisses off the Hicks family more than it annoys Jones.

I used to think that Trump was a secret democrat acting like an asshole to push the country further to the left, but sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.

Epstine didn't kill himself though, and if he did he was blackmailed into doing so with something he cared deeply about.  There's a lot more to that story but no one really knows anything for sure.

There's honestly plenty of mysteries without even touching the supernatural.

Oh, this is fun:

13 hours ago, et-novum said:

Probably not aliens, but it turns out that even Congress doesn't know about a lot of the UFOs.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/ufo-hearing-congress-uap-takeaways-whistleblower-conference-david-grusch-2023/

In my opinion this is the very tiny tip of the iceberg for the public and more is coming.  I don't care who believes me or not and I'm not going to waste time debating it, but I personally think we've had real public alien footage at least since 1996-- partially since the FBI raid to stop its public release failed-- and these guys go into it and why that's true here: https://rumble.com/v2htcuo-investigating-the-1996-alien-interview-video.html 

5 hours ago, Class-Punk said:

In my opinion this is the very tiny tip of the iceberg for the public and more is coming.  I don't care who believes me or not and I'm not going to waste time debating it, but I personally think we've had real public alien footage at least since 1996-- partially since the FBI raid to stop its public release failed-- and these guys go into it and why that's true here: https://rumble.com/v2htcuo-investigating-the-1996-alien-interview-video.html 

Well there really isn't any debate on it.  There is either positive evidence confirming or baseless speculation.

Unfortunately now with the advent of AI it's going to get much harder to tell the fakes from any potentially real evidence that may be found.

As usual people will believe whatever they want though.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Here's something interesting. I'm not sure The Loch Ness Monster exists but I came across thia article. Some of the more convincing photos I've seen with a lot more personal stake involved ( the photographer is putting themself out there and not publishing anonymously). But I think personally I need more proof to say this is a cryptid and not just a regular animal doing something strange.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/new-sighting-of-loch-ness-monster-captured-in-most-exciting-photos-ever/ar-AA1g2QLb?ocid=hpmsn&cvid=b41df05595014ec2b33ec6116685f37d&ei=38