56eeff77eb0ac_AlignmentChart.thumb.jpg.e

Neat chart.

Probably could argue all of these except  Superman. 

"The most debateable" I tihnk are  probably  Picard and Alien.  

At first I thought Alien as I doubt they have any moral code at all and would , even though vile fucks, still be Neutral , like (most) animals.   But I guess the "good / Evil" thing is from the perspective of "generally accepted behavior of human good and evil".  

So then its Picard and Johny Depp.  

I'm not sure picard is lawful NEUTRAL.   Some version of "Good" seems to be clearly a picard trait.  Could argue hes more good than superman as he actually has to continue to follow his moral compass despite is lack of near godlike powers. 

Captian Jack on the other hand despite being "a pirate" never does anything evil.  But he does do good.  True neutral (despite me hating to throw SO many characters into that bin) or Neutral Good makes more sense to me. 

I never thought of Vader as "lawful" but I guess he is except in a very few instances.      

Honestly, these matrix things are crap.  You can't pigeonhole people into categories because situations change and so do alignments.

Not to mention there is the whole "what is morality/good/evil" argument as well.  One person's terrorist is another person's freedom fighter.  One person's hacker is another person's security consultant.

Really this only works in an RPG where the character you write HAS to follow their alignment.

But people like it because it's a neat idea and fun to do, like tarot/astrology.  There really isn't any science to it, you just make it up as you go along.

• 3 months later...
On 3/22/2016 at 6:48 PM, Scary Guy said:

Honestly, these matrix things are crap.  You can't pigeonhole people into categories because situations change and so do alignments.

Not to mention there is the whole "what is morality/good/evil" argument as well.  One person's terrorist is another person's freedom fighter.  One person's hacker is another person's security consultant.

Really this only works in an RPG where the character you write HAS to follow their alignment.

But people like it because it's a neat idea and fun to do, like tarot/astrology.  There really isn't any science to it, you just make it up as you go along.

The idea is someones "general nature" or the way they "usually lean".  Things such as "good"  or "Evil" are , its true , a pain in the ass to get nailed down exactly.  But we don't live in a world with exact morality rules (at least I hope we don't).

I wouldn't call it pigeon holing at least not to people that know better someone that is ("GOTH chaotic  lol... is not ONLY that, that is just one aspect of them) Its justs a generalization and gives a character / player , character/writer   real person / weirdo   a general idea of what they might do in the future.   

I don't think its a great system.

Its mainly a Role Playing "standard" some form of which is used to determine what a character is and isn't allowed to do or what they MIGHT or SHOULD do , mainly  its supposed to also help the player figure out what he thinks he should  saying or acting out.  We are talking about (theoretically) FICTIONAL things , so it makes it more plausible that the characters are not as crazy complex as actual people.