I am going through a family court case. I was appointed a court appointed attorney because I have no income of my own. The case is still on going at this point and no ruiling has been made yet. I am now getting bills in the mail ordering me to pay my court appointed attorney fees. The amount is $3000.00

They now are thearting to arrest me if I do not pay. There is little I can do. My undetstand was that court apointed lawers are for people who can not pay. If I had $3000.00 I would have hired my own lawyer. I can not belive I will be put into jail for being unable to pay for a court appointed attorney. I have no crimal history not even a speeding ticket. But now I may end up in jail for being poor.

That was my understanding as well...the court appointed attorney is supposed to be "for the people". Do they need proof of your "no income" status in order to stop the harassment? That would be interesting if your next court case is suing your representation...EagleRose made a comment earlier today that "The world is out of balance." And I declare I have been seeing it everywhere... :confused:

That was my understanding as well...the court appointed attorney is supposed to be "for the people". Do they need proof of your "no income" status in order to stop the harassment? That would be interesting if your next court case is suing your representation...EagleRose made a comment earlier today that "The world is out of balance." And I declare I have been seeing it everywhere... :confused:

No kidding is an understatement. Kind of like how I have been battling MI's Unemployment Insurance Agency for the last couple years for one reason or another. Now, they slapped me with a $4500 penalty saying I misled them with info I provided on a claim from 2 years ago, when I have the proof from the claim that was ultimately decided in my favor. I have submitted a protest with the documentation, so we'll see how it goes.

OP, I feel for you and I hope your situation works itself out. Can you submit a bank statement saying you have no money or submit some other proof of being out of work? Just an idea if worse comes to worse.

Having dealt with the legal system myself I can tell you that it is something you should try to take care of. It's total bullshit, I know. It's up to the judge to decide if you make enough money or not, and how much you must pay your court appointed attorney. At least in Indiana. I can tell you out here they have a charge called "Failure to Pay" which they can issue a bench warrant for. My best advice is to talk to them and explain your situation, go before the judge or talk to his/her clerk and bring your bank statement, any bills you may have, etc, and try to reason with them. If they still insist on charging you, make whatever payment you can afford. Even if it's 5 dollars a week, if you are making an effort to pay, you will be fine. Good luck and I hope this helps!

I went to the court house and paid them $20. I told them I have been out of work and this is all I can do. She said whatever I can pay is fine just as long as regular payments are made I hope that will keep me out of jail. It is still illgal what they are doing. I looked stuff up and it is not legal put someone in jail for not paying a court fee. It is consider a civl matter. I will be lookimg into this more.

I really should become a lawyer. I would be very good at it. Wonder of I am too old?

Edited by LadyKay

Great to hear your will not be going to jail.

Sucks to hear you have to pay (anything).

Wondering if you are too old to become a lawyer...let's see, you can still read and convey a point on a given topic...congratulations you're a candidate to study for the bar...however, it may be more expedient to become a paralegal...just food for thought. :happy:

Yeah just keep in touch with them and do your best to pay something. I know it sucks and you're right what they are doing is not legal, but then again there's a lot of things that our government does that isn't legal. For instance, where in the constitution does it say you have the right to bear arms (as long as you register them)? The constitution says nothing about gun registration, but it happens anyway.. I could go on all day, but glad to hear things went semi-well for you. Maybe call an attorney and ask for an opinion on this matter, they may tell you they can or cannot help you.

Still though I hate having the fear of jail hanging over my head for following my consituional right to an attorny. There should be something I can do about this. Some one I can write too. It underminds the justice system if people fear they will be unabe to pay for a court appontef attorny, so they wave their right to get one out of fear.

Edited by LadyKay

Unfortunately I know all about the fear of jail. If you're lucky enough to have made it this long without experiencing jail, I congratulate you and wish you the best. It's not hard at all to end up there, even if just for a few hours, these days.

As far as something you can do, start with the State's Attorney, maybe a strongly worded business letter to a Senator/Governor/Mayor whatever. I'm not sure on Michigan's laws but research online, I'm *sure* there's someone else who might have had a similar situation with court appointed attorneys in your state.

Sadly, unless you have a ton of money to pay an attorney, people who get stuck with "public pretenders" as I like to call them, usually end up getting screwed over in the end. You have to educate yourself and learn the hard way if you're broke. It's all about the money, always is.

There may be nothing at all that can be done, I can't say for sure, every case is different. However it is a sad country we live in that profits off of the justice system.