The Dark Children and Their Castedral

Class-Punk

I've decided that the only way to write more, and paradoxically to be less stressed out by writing, is to go all out.

So I'm permanently releasing the draft of Chapter 1, The Dark Children and Their Castedral, one of my four present Fiction projects, which is a Gothic/Steampunk Epic I started thinking up in 2007 with the idea of a Gothic Boxcar Children.

Link.

One thing I have been thinking since hrmm, maybe high school, is that I had the wrong idea about artistic things, its not just "when the muse strikes" (althoughf or me it struck all the time back then) say. If you want to get better at basketball, you just practice your ass off, all the time, in the mood or not. If you want to get better at whatever it is, you just have to do it.

*Googles* "Castedral" ... not finding anything.

*clicks on link*

One thing I have been thinking since hrmm, maybe high school, is that I had the wrong idea about artistic things, its not just "when the muse strikes" (althoughf or me it struck all the time back then) say. If you want to get better at basketball, you just practice your ass off, all the time, in the mood or not. If you want to get better at whatever it is, you just have to do it.

When I thought up this idea 5 years ago, I felt I didn't have enough experience to do it justice. After the four year marathon of finishing Vibrant Night, my excuse became that I wanted to wait till I had better living circumstances.. Now I think I'm crazy enough that its moot. :animier: Lol.

Edited by Coffeenated

When I thought up this idea 5 years ago, I felt I didn't have enough experience to do it justice. After the four year marathon of finishing Vibrant Night, my excuse became that I wanted to wait till I had better living circumstances.. Now I think I'm crazy enough that its moot. :animier: Lol.

or if you start feeling less crazy devlope a drug habbit or get thrown in jail, both of thoes seem to be good writer credentials hah.

I wouldn't worry about living status or experience or "writing skill" , just draw the nike swoosh in the air.

I remember reading about how Ray Bradbury was worried that his work wouldn't be accepted by "real" writers and then kept finding other reasons not to write when he was younger, then he went the other way with it for the rest of his life "if I find out one of these days that that Norman Mailer likes my stuff I think I'd failed." lol (paraphrasing cant remember the exact quote)

I mostly like to stand in the shadow of great English writers with big lexicons, worrying about skill will always be in the back of my mind. :p

I was a big classic lit guy for a long time, and even I think what people would call "bad" writers have some measure of skill, that I personally could not (ant my current crappy writing level) emulate.

What was meaning to get at was "not writing because I'm afraid it might be bad" could be a roadblock to practicing more, and to try and just ignore that feeling (if it even exists, I was just guessing.)

I was a big classic lit guy for a long time, and even I think what people would call "bad" writers have some measure of skill, that I personally could not (ant my current crappy writing level) emulate.

What was meaning to get at was "not writing because I'm afraid it might be bad" could be a roadblock to practicing more, and to try and just ignore that feeling (if it even exists, I was just guessing.)

Classic literature is definitely better as an influence than complete emulation since classic books were written for their time in society. The nature of communication has shortened because of modern times and the internet which definitely changes how people read and write, as it should. I like to think anyone who is a good writer is striking their own individual balance between purple (unnecessarily long) prose and texting, but nobody should really be insulting purple because its a manly color.

Edited by Coffeenated

Classic literature is definitely better as an influence than complete emulation since classic books were written for their time in society. The nature of communication has shortened because of modern times and the internet which definitely changes how people read and write, as it should. I like to think anyone who is a good writer is striking their own individual balance between purple (unnecessarily long) prose and texting, but nobody should really be insulting purple because its a manly color.

I'm still wondering if the reduction in precision but increase in speed is a net gain or a net loss. Damn that "balance" concept I want an exact 2 + 2 = 4 type answer. Damn the pesky gray areas. *shakes angry fist at 99.9% of the universe*

I'm still wondering if the reduction in precision but increase in speed is a net gain or a net loss. Damn that "balance" concept I want an exact 2 + 2 = 4 type answer. Damn the pesky gray areas. *shakes angry fist at 99.9% of the universe*

"Yep." -- Steve Martin as a sociologist.

---

I combed through Chapter 1 and polished it as much more as I could. Chapter 2 was written awhile ago so I have to look through and rewrite all of it.

While thinking about this book over the years, I thought about creating a character that was exuberantly, self-destructively Gothic in the literary sense, and so I came up with Alistor. A hot-headed, androgynous, superhuman drug-dealer with a history of religious abuse. I have another idea in mind for a villain, so I don't know yet if Alistor will be the main villain or appear more of an anti-hero.. Or if there will be a main villain, the decentralization of that in Game of Thrones has definitely inspired me.

"Yep." -- Steve Martin as a sociologist.

---

I combed through Chapter 1 and polished it as much more as I could. Chapter 2 was written awhile ago so I have to look through and rewrite all of it.

While thinking about this book over the years, I thought about creating a character that was exuberantly, self-destructively Gothic in the literary sense, and so I came up with Alistor. A hot-headed, androgynous, superhuman drug-dealer with a history of religious abuse. I have another idea in mind for a villain, so I don't know yet if Alistor will be the main villain or appear more of an anti-hero.. Or if there will be a main villain, the decentralization of that in Game of Thrones has definitely inspired me.

Could evolve further to have no "real" villains or heros and all the characters in a gray area, only understood via their inner life. "the heart in conflict with itself" as I've read Faulkner say in various places.

Could evolve further to have no "real" villains or heros and all the characters in a gray area, only understood via their inner life. "the heart in conflict with itself" as I've read Faulkner say in various places.

Not sure if I you know it or not but George R.R. Martin quoted him in an interview about his writing.

Anytime I hear any kind of heart-centric philosophy I think about Jnana Yoga and Advaita Vedanta which are interchangeable and based on knowledge and intuition. I'm a fanboy of esoteric themes and planned to be blunt about it in this story and have the equivalent of "enlightened masters" in the book with a subplot around one of them.