Something Cold presents: MAGIC STICK HALLOWEEN PARTY w/ DJ SAINT & NOCKER

tumblr_lsrw9uY3Hw1qb14c0o1_500.jpg

THE OFFICIAL MAGIC STICK HALLOWEEN PARTY

"Future Islands’ romantic synth sound scales new heights with On the Water, the Baltimore trio’s most ambitious and fully realized statement yet. Built around a song cycle exploring love, loss, and memory, their latest album finds the band continuing to deliver pounding rhythms, swelling melodies, and undeniable hooks – but finding new ways to probe inner space and tug at hearts."

W/ JAVELIN & ED SCHRADER

"(Something Cold is) a roving dance party and social club celebrating minimal-synth, coldwave, new wave, electronic body music, post-punk, darkwave, experimental and other lively art and cold pleasure. Radically confusing and unfashionable since 2009. Something Cold is Detroit's post-industrial reflection. Dance your misery away under the strobelight funeral."

www.facebook.com/somethingcold

DJ Nocker [Former Dead-Line and Censor resident DJ] along with DJ Saint [City Club DJ 2002-2010, Dead-Line resident and more] will be joining the evening as guests of honor!

MAGIC STICK

4120 Woodward Avenue

Detroit, Michigan

9pm

$10

18+

Graphics by Marc Church

http://majesticdetroit.com/

Edited by DJDeadbeat

Damn, makes me almost regret flying out to Washington D.C. to run a marathon that weekend. But I already paid for the ticket and the race, and thus I will miss this event. Have a good one!

No worries, buddy! You are always a big supporter of the scene!

And before anyone gets it in there head that we put this together to compete with the "G-Rave" event, NO IT WASNT! This was put into motion MONTHS ago, we just now posted it on DGN.

This will be a fun event and we hope to see familiar faces out!

No worries, buddy! You are always a big supporter of the scene!

And before anyone gets it in there head that we put this together to compete with the "G-Rave" event, NO IT WASNT! This was put into motion MONTHS ago, we just now posted it on DGN.

This will be a fun event and we hope to see familiar faces out!

This has been in the making between me and The Magic Stick since the summer.

Bump!

This events getting a lot of word of mouth and Facebook attention.... Thanks all who have been spreading the word.

For those not familiar with Future Islands - great alternative synthpop act from Baltimore. Lead singers voice sounds a lot like Matt Johnson's of The The, while musically they write emotionally moving swelling melodies, and undeniable hooks all the while finding new ways to probe inner space and tug at hearts.

This is a band you need to see and discover immediately!!!

Looking forward to seeing many of you in attendance.

Tomorrow night @ The Magic Stick!

This weeks Metro Times had a very nice write up on Future Islands. Read up on one of the newer synth pop bands well worth discovering.

Lots of spooky music planned for you all from Justin Carver, Nocker and Myself.

This is where the Friday party is at people!

See ya tomorrow.

I have a track so awesome and so halloween-ish I'm dying to play it (see what I did there?)

and it doesn't go

wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub

I have a track so awesome and so halloween-ish I'm dying to play it (see what I did there?)

and it doesn't go

wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub

that's right, it goes:

wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub...(wait for it)...(wait for it)...wub

The extra dramatic wub, is what makes it so much more awesome that any other wub before it.

~Iris (keepin' it REAL)

INCREDIBLE night @ Something Cold. Great BIG crowd too.

Bit of a recap:

Ed Schraders Music Beat was hysterical with angsty/raw energy. Just a floor tom and a bass player plus some anger issues/sarcastic comedy.

Javelin was my fav act of the night. Javelin's tunes are a glitchy electronic carnival. Seemingly never ones to take themselves too seriously, the compositions veer from polished, almost hip-hip sounding samplefests to a sort of recast neuveau 8-bit wierdness, finding just about every practicable point in between. SO MUCH FUN that I was dancing AND smiling!

Headliners Future Islands provided the crowd with it's signature post-wave sound. Richly textured soundscapes developed slowly over loping Peter Hook-esque basslines ♥, while frontman Samuel T. Herring's vocals swing from plaintive to almost menacingly growly. There are plenty of identifiable influences (The The), but the songs are shimmering and immediate.

Now add to this the DJ stylings of Justin Carver playing minimal wave including a record that days ago was sitting in Londons Rough Trade store. DJ Nocker included some death ambient ala Coil, Deutsch Nepal, IRM and more. From Ah Cama Sotz to ESA to Wire to Duck Sauce (Thanks for that one Dethlab!) I added to the varied musical spookiness. It may seem like the oddest hodgepodge of musical styles, but it worked ;)

Plenty of friends in attendance and good to see you all.

Thanks again to Justin Carver for having us be part of this event. Was a blast!

And be sure to check out the bands via Facebook, Spotify and their web pages. Some wonderful tunes to discover!