Goth Music is Back, But Are Goths Listening?

Joey Deadcat

Try going some place aside from necto and city, you might be surprised what gets played....wonder how many times ive said that now...

You need a counter in your signature for how many times you and Saint encourage other "goths" to check out somewhere else, and I need one for all the times I've showed up expecting others to be cool and come out to spend some quality time...and then got let down by my people :no:.

I didn't even know you were like that victoriasvengeance, you are always at CC and Necto and seemed to go into the whole cyber-industrial for show stuff we're speaking on...maybe I pegged you wrong? If I did, then I apologize. You have even declared to being "skanky" in other threads, which kinda plays into what we're talking about.

Edited by Chernobyl

You need a counter in your signature for how many times you and Saint encourage other "goths" to check out somewhere else, and I need one for all the times I've showed up expecting others to be cool and come out to spend some quality time...and then got let down by my people :no:.

Certain people get it, certain people dont, im over it. We do need those counters though. Haha

Try going some place aside from necto and city, you might be surprised what gets played....wonder how many times ive said that now...

the whole being underaged thing prohibits me from going to a few things I want to check out.

I didn't even know you were like that victoriasvengeance, you are always at CC and Necto and seemed to go into the whole cyber-industrial for show stuff we're speaking on...maybe I pegged you wrong? If I did, then I apologize. You have even declared to being "skanky" in other threads, which kinda plays into what we're talking about.

Haha oh the skanky thing is always jokingly. I go mostly to see my friends at the clubs honestly, because I know what music they'll play, and it's not like THAT is dragging me to the club- it's the same damn thing every week. I like tons of music, every genre rofl. I like some cyber industrial crap, but it's really not my thing. My range of favorite bands is really weird. My favorite band is an alt-rock type band; honestly don't know what to peg them as, but they don't belong here at all haha. My favorite bands are Brand New [some rock ish stuff], Something Corporate [piano-rock], Dresden Dolls [punk cabaret], Children of the Plague [riot girl crap], VNV [i can be trendy too], Portishead, and a bunch of other stuff. I don't categorize myself as one thing. but as I said, I don't go to city and necto because I want to hear ridiculously awesome music.

I go there pretty much to pregame, dance my ass off and get a work out from dancing, see my friends that live in the opposite direction of me and our schedules don't mesh well, and dress up and have fun. I don't really take either of those clubs as a serious musically enlightening experience, and don't expect it.

I'd love to hear newer stuff, I'd love to hear them try something- which I'll give Mike, Pulse State, that he played some new stuff friday, and I didn't exactly like it, but I like that he tried some stuff out.

I don't really take either of those clubs as a serious musically enlightening experience, and don't expect it.

That's how I had to hype myself up for Necto before going the only time I went. I can adapt to almost any type of club night and have genuine fun, but the let down for me is if something claims to be a more legit musical-oriented night that isn't just the same regurgitated-shit-wrapped-in-vinyl type stuff that CC and Necto have, but then I go there and it turns out they lied.

I know what you mean. Toxic Detroit is starting up an industrial night on thursdays at Paychecks, and I really hope they'll spin stuff that's different than the CC/Necto norm. My boyfriend's guest djing their first night. I know he'll spin what he wants and not follow the necto/CC guideline music, but he's just a guest.

The reason why I feel like all of the new nights aren't doing so well is a lot of them (With the exception of Wednesdays, I haven't been, and it sounds a lot different than the obvious) are just the same thing. over, and over, and over, and over again. We've all heard 100% by Angelspit. We've all heard you spin the same depeche mode song over and over. We want new. But we want GOOD. I don't want to hear the same single by the same band that everyone thinks is dancey- play something by them that is catchy but that no one has really heard. make me learn/think/whatever.

Edited by victoriavengeance

I go there pretty much to pregame, dance my ass off and get a work out from dancing, see my friends that live in the opposite direction of me and our schedules don't mesh well, and dress up and have fun. I don't really take either of those clubs as a serious musically enlightening experience, and don't expect it.

Thats what we are getting at LoL :dry:

I mean, obviously people go to be with friends and drink, but the music wasnt always irrelevant, and you can very easily dance to alot of gothy/post punk stuff. There is more than 1 NEW goth track that is just as dancy as "This Corrosion" which will still fill a floor. Im pretty sure Necto has dropped the whole goth label and has advertised itself as an industrial/synthpop club, which is cool, they are playing what they advertise. If you are gonna call it a Goth club, play new and current goth music. That is what me and joey are talking about at least. /rant.

EDIT: Thank you for clarifying that Wednesdays plays different stuff.

Edited by DJ Nocker

Oh yeah, pretty much any 'dance club' now adays that has a 'goth industrial synthpop whatever' night is no longer any chance at goth night hahaha. It's a money thing for necto. Obviously. I just wish more nights would get their heads in the game and play some good crap.

Try telling people about nights like :INDUSTRIAL WEDNESDAYS: and Something Cold that concentrate on new/underplayed music. Surprised people have missed that being the point of those nights for this long...

And for the record, Something Cold and Industrial Wednesdays WILL play new goth sounds. (there I go saying it again..where is that counter)

Try telling people about nights like :INDUSTRIAL WEDNESDAYS: and Something Cold that concentrate on new/underplayed music. Surprised people have missed that being the point of those nights for this long...

And for the record, Something Cold and Industrial Wednesdays WILL play new goth sounds. (there I go saying it again..where is that counter)

I will start you out at 100 before this post, even though you've probably said it way more than that, the post earlier in the thread is 101, so *click* you're at 102 :tongue:.

oh, I've mentioned it to several people, everyone I know likes Wednesdays if they've gone.

Is most of Something Cold stuff 18+?

There are almost NEVER age restrictions for something cold events. Although if there are, usually its 18+

There are almost NEVER age restrictions for something cold events. Although if there are, usually its 18+

Something Cold PROPER events never have age restrictions. No one should be turned away from good music because of age. That being said I really avoid doing SC in bars and usually aim for DIY spaces. Lately I've been using the Magic Stick for past and upcoming events and the Atlas Bar in Hamtramck. I'm out of my element! But hey, people sometimes feel more comfortable going to a place they've been before like a bar than a factory, loft or warehouse somewhere.

If I was to write extensively in this thread which I tested, it would go from music, to fashion, ending in Fundamentalist Christian-bashing, because this is how my mind works. My mind hates organized religion and canned potatoes, and I place blame on the potatoes on the hip-hop board, or I would if I was on one.

Also, Soft Kill is awesome.

Goth is dead, undead undead.

I didn't read this entire thread because it's rather long and I'm impatient. What I have to add is that something is only dead if you let it be. Some of you are contributing, to that I thank you, some not. All I can say is, pick up a guitar, start a band or at least request a song... keep it alive in act.

I've been to K17 in Berlin, and Slimelight in London. To tell you the truth, I still like CC better for atmosphere. Of course nothing beats WGT though.

To get to the point; I'm planning to start booking shows this summer with some music I'm recording after I find another guitarist for live sets. Hopefully there will be some local acts to play with that are also dark but I'm not holding my breath.

Michigan will have a proper goth scene when we give it one.

That's just it - there is a movement going on, a lot of newer and current artists out there and it seems folks just can't be bothered to break away from their CC/Necto habits to check out nights or events that are promoting this new direction of goth or even check out the artists on their own.

As a lot of these artists coming out are shunning the trappings and cliches that made "goth" come across as "lowest common denominator" and becoming less image-conscious the more cynical among us have to wonder if that's off-putting to a lot of folks who have remained in a comfort zone for so long.

I see what you're saying Joey, but to me, part of dark culture is the image. If life truly imitates art, then the aesthetics we surround ourselves with shape our consciousness and actions.

Personally the trappings and cliches are something I find beautiful. Didn't paint my bedroom black so I could get my goth card, I just like the way it looks. But yes, I do think it is off putting to many people, I hear so many complaints about hipsters and scenesters etc. IDC what someone looks like however I do draw the line when it comes to musicians. Why go see someone perform live if they can't create a visual image to match their music? Might as well pop in a cd at home.

Most importantly though, I see this HUGE schizm between people who play instruments and people who push the play button on their laptops. Detroit has a big scene for synths, fruity loops, and drum machines. Where are the people making dark music around here who pick up a guitar? To me that is the core of the dichotomy of industrial/synthpop vs goth/post punk. I would love to see an actual goth/post punk music (by that I mean performance not just djs spinning) alive in the USA.

As a lot of these artists coming out are shunning the trappings and cliches that made "goth" come across as "lowest common denominator" and becoming less image-conscious the more cynical among us have to wonder if that's off-putting to a lot of folks who have remained in a comfort zone for so long.

Because to a lot of people, that would seem like transgression back into the past imo. We already started where people had simple styles and it was very music-centric. I for one believe that we can have both. But yes, I do believe people have been pushed the pendulum too far into just dark imagery, fashion, etc, things aside from just the music and ideals themselves to the point where it's almost becoming a darkly shallow version of the mainstream. I would like to see a healthy blend of all sorts of dark people, the super cynical, the deep, the vapid, all types, but as it stands right now it seems as though our scene is only catering to the vapid.

I see what you're saying Joey, but to me, part of dark culture is the image. If life truly imitates art, then the aesthetics we surround ourselves with shape our consciousness and actions.

Personally the trappings and cliches are something I find beautiful. Didn't paint my bedroom black so I could get my goth card, I just like the way it looks. But yes, I do think it is off putting to many people, I hear so many complaints about hipsters and scenesters etc. IDC what someone looks like however I do draw the line when it comes to musicians. Why go see someone perform live if they can't create a visual image to match their music? Might as well pop in a cd at home.

Most importantly though, I see this HUGE schizm between people who play instruments and people who push the play button on their laptops. Detroit has a big scene for synths, fruity loops, and drum machines. Where are the people making dark music around here who pick up a guitar? To me that is the core of the dichotomy of industrial/synthpop vs goth/post punk. I would love to see an actual goth/post punk music (by that I mean performance not just djs spinning) alive in the USA.

That pretty much covers it.

Switching subjects:

And yeah there are a lot of lets call it "uneducated" people around, but get used to it, society has always been that way and ever subculture is a reflection of society. The idea is to try and , at least for me, not alienate the "dull" people , but bring them in, and (hopefully) educate some of them. It wont happen by insulting them or avoiding them by retreating into a small sub-sub culture of "cool people". The way to do that is to get them when they start "looking" around, which, is typically not at , or around, anything we'd call "the hardcore" or "oldschools" but the "dull" places/music/dressup. Kicking them away does us no good really. (at least not until we've given them a solid, kindhearted chance.)