Yard Pride

Some just love spring because it gets warmer, but for those of the green-thumb assortment, working out in the yard is where it's at. It's a shame that so many people put so much time into gardening and landscaping and yet only random people driving down your block, some guests, and neighbors are usually the ones who get to see it. So I decided to dedicate a thread for photos :happy:. I personally don't have a whole lot up yet, they're either mostly still seeds or seedlings. I grow everything from seed pretty much, I hardly ever buy plants at stores and plant them. But this is the crop garden in back, only thing up really in these pics are the radishes, chives, and some onions:

Some just love spring because it gets warmer, but for those of the green-thumb assortment, working out in the yard is where it's at. It's a shame that so many people put so much time into gardening and landscaping and yet only random people driving down your block, some guests, and neighbors are usually the ones who get to see it. So I decided to dedicate a thread for photos :happy:. I personally don't have a whole lot up yet, they're either mostly still seeds or seedlings. I grow everything from seed pretty much, I hardly ever buy plants at stores and plant them. But this is the crop garden in back, only thing up really in these pics are the radishes, chives, and some onions:

100_2821.jpg

100_2818.jpg

100_2817.jpg

Close up of my first ittttty-bitty onion:

Close up of my first ittttty-bitty onion:

100_2823.jpg

I'm not huge on flowers, I tend to grow produce more than anything, but when we bought the house there was already a properly-bordered flower bed out front with a rose bush already in it. I always grow some flowers out front, I even did at my old condo, because it makes your neighbors happy, spruces up the front a bit, and they're still fun to watch grow even if they don't overtly have much of a function. Only real thing up right now are the bulb flowers though. All of the seed flowers are still either seeds or small little seedlings that you can't easily see in the pic.

I'm not huge on flowers, I tend to grow produce more than anything, but when we bought the house there was already a properly-bordered flower bed out front with a rose bush already in it. I always grow some flowers out front, I even did at my old condo, because it makes your neighbors happy, spruces up the front a bit, and they're still fun to watch grow even if they don't overtly have much of a function. Only real thing up right now are the bulb flowers though. All of the seed flowers are still either seeds or small little seedlings that you can't easily see in the pic.

100_2808.jpg

And the following is my lonely raggedy-ass dragon tree that has seen too much abuse from my kittes and is happy to finally be outside where it's safe, ironically enough. Got it in a gift years ago, my friend gave me a "Goth gardening kit", and this was a seed in it. They're tropical and also where they get the incense Dragon's Blood from because the tree actually bleeds red (which also smells nice), it's nuts!

And the following is my lonely raggedy-ass dragon tree that has seen too much abuse from my kittes and is happy to finally be outside where it's safe, ironically enough. Got it in a gift years ago, my friend gave me a "Goth gardening kit", and this was a seed in it. They're tropical and also where they get the incense Dragon's Blood from because the tree actually bleeds red (which also smells nice), it's nuts!

100_2820.jpg

Not much yet, but I will definitely keep updating as more spouts. I'm hoping to get a berry plant of some kind, the popular vote in the house says they want a raspberry bush. Also in the market for a small flowering tree to put out front so those mother fucking kids from the neighborhood stop tearing up my lawn running around playing games on it all day. I might take more in a few days, because since these were taken I've had peas, potatoes, beets, lettuce, carrots, etc, come up.

Kay, your turn!

Not much yet, but I will definitely keep updating as more spouts. I'm hoping to get a berry plant of some kind, the popular vote in the house says they want a raspberry bush. Also in the market for a small flowering tree to put out front so those mother fucking kids from the neighborhood stop tearing up my lawn running around playing games on it all day. I might take more in a few days, because since these were taken I've had peas, potatoes, beets, lettuce, carrots, etc, come up.

Kay, your turn!

Edited by Chernobyl

There's also no grass in my backyard. Buying a house in Warren you have to figure that there will be no grass and that every visible square inch outside will be covered in broken glass, so you just know you're going to have to deal with it. As I don't really care for lawns and think grass is a waste of prime artistic landscaping space, I choose to put in extensive brick patios and unique elements. I'm keeping the theme of the yard raggedy urban-blight, so instead of getting sayyyy really nice English gardens type bricks for the raised garden beds, I'm getting cinder block. I'll probably finish it off with graffiti also and all that. Going to make my backyard look as if someone went to the abandoned railroad tracks in Detroit and put a REALLY nice hidden garden in it...

Figured that it would be cooler than going to Home Depot and buying up everything else that everyone else has in their yard already. I want mine to be unique, not maybe 100% original (because that's hard to pull off), but at least "me" enough.

There's also no grass in my backyard. Buying a house in Warren you have to figure that there will be no grass and that every visible square inch outside will be covered in broken glass, so you just know you're going to have to deal with it. As I don't really care for lawns and think grass is a waste of prime artistic landscaping space, I choose to put in extensive brick patios and unique elements. I'm keeping the theme of the yard raggedy urban-blight, so instead of getting sayyyy really nice English gardens type bricks for the raised garden beds, I'm getting cinder block. I'll probably finish it off with graffiti also and all that. Going to make my backyard look as if someone went to the abandoned railroad tracks in Detroit and put a REALLY nice hidden garden in it...

Figured that it would be cooler than going to Home Depot and buying up everything else that everyone else has in their yard already. I want mine to be unique, not maybe 100% original (because that's hard to pull off), but at least "me" enough.

Edited by Chernobyl

Seal them?

Like set them right and solid with something to fill all the gaps...and then they do sell clear sealers for cheap so that it stays as pristine as it can for as long as it can...

holy shit I used the word pristine in a sentence describing something made of cinder blocks!

holy shit I used the word pristine in a sentence describing something made of cinder blocks!

Hang around the same messageboards that I do for long enough and it's bound to happen :wink:.

Hang around the same messageboards that I do for long enough and it's bound to happen :wink:.

They're actually a medicinal herb..

You can actually straight up eat them also and they're damn good for you, so I never understood that either. I was JUST talking about this with someone at a barbecue yesterday who thought the same thing. They're nice little yellow blotches on your yard that don't hurt anyone, I never understand why people strive to have a completely green lawn, seems like a waste of space to me.

You can actually straight up eat them also and they're damn good for you, so I never understood that either. I was JUST talking about this with someone at a barbecue yesterday who thought the same thing. They're nice little yellow blotches on your yard that don't hurt anyone, I never understand why people strive to have a completely green lawn, seems like a waste of space to me.

• 4 weeks later...

I like dandelions. I think they're pretty. I don't like the way they taste, though. A friend says that's because they're only really good when you cook them, but I've not tried it yet. If the subdivision didn't have rules regarding lawn appearance and if the house we live in was actually ours, we'd have a "moss" and wildflower lawn. I like wood sorrel, white clover, purple clover, wild violets, and evergreen "mosses" and rather have them than grass anyway.

• 12 years later...
  • 8 months later...

I’m not much of a gardener. As a matter, fact, I want somebody to come over and take all of the tiger lilies out of the back corner of my yard and plant them at their house because a shed will be going back there.

and I’d love to find somebody that does cement. After looking up what it’s going to take to pour a 9 x 11 pad, I can’t lift those cement bags. That’s just not gonna happen.