LEGO appreciation thread

Simon Bar Sinister

• 4 months later...
  • Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

I'm pretty geeked for this to come out... Monster Legos I seen some of the smaller sets for the Monster Fighter series earlier today at target.

Beat me too it!!!!!!! I creamed my panties when I saw them in toys are us. I just bought the hearse and I'm building it right now. I am so happy for this I've been waiting for monster legos!

Beat me too it!!!!!!! I creamed my panties when I saw them in toys are us. I just bought the hearse and I'm building it right now. I am so happy for this I've been waiting for monster legos!

lol hot *starts stocking up on monster legos to catch a wild worms in wombs unawares* :secret:

It really does look neat, I wandered into a toys r us before the Sci Fi book club I went to today, I only had a few minutes but didn't see them (seriously did look only based on the above posts, wouldn't have had a clue otherwise).

I used to do a lot of stuff with legos back in the day but its been ages. Mainly because a guy I knew and I used to do them together but he dissapeared and my leggos got lost somewhere along the way. I've long had ideas about mixing the Alien Concquest / Kingdoms / Lord of the Rings / Bionicales together, but just never quite got there. (My buddy and I used to make a lot of nightmare before Christmas inspired stuff and totally unrealated, various military history recreations)

lego-turntable.jpg

As a kid (80s) I used to make my own Transformers out of Lego.

One of my callcenter jobs I collected a fair sized tub of lego to play with at work (night shift)

Other employees didn't like the noise when I dug for parts, but fuck them I made Blitzwing!!!!

lego-turntable.jpg

As a kid (80s) I used to make my own Transformers out of Lego.

One of my callcenter jobs I collected a fair sized tub of lego to play with at work (night shift)

Other employees didn't like the noise when I dug for parts, but fuck them I made Blitzwing!!!!

I was completely unoriginal and built Optimus.

I was completely unoriginal and built Optimus.

I've made countless Optimus Primes

As a child I made all the Dinobots, Multiple Jetfires, a Starscream, various Gestalts (Combiners) of original design, a transforming USS Enterprise, a surprisingly accurate Bird of Prey model I kept together for ten years (I was that proud of it), various original designs for cars and jets and whatever that transformed, MASK Vehicles, and Star Wars vehicles. I also made transformers out of old betting slips when my Mom took me to the track.

I've made countless Optimus Primes

As a child I made all the Dinobots, Multiple Jetfires, a Starscream, various Gestalts (Combiners) of original design, a transforming USS Enterprise, a surprisingly accurate Bird of Prey model I kept together for ten years (I was that proud of it), various original designs for cars and jets and whatever that transformed, MASK Vehicles, and Star Wars vehicles. I also made transformers out of old betting slips when my Mom took me to the track.

I've also made quite a few Megatrons. His unique leg/waste/arm transformation always intrigued me.

I was big into legos as a child as well, I never made any Transformers but I HAD a ton of them. I was always building minautre worlds of various sorts, the first one I remember making was a version of the block I lived on (with a rampaging godzilla of course). (I made models of many star trek and star wars vehicles but not with legos) I made minature versions of many well known landmarks, The Sphinx, Taj Mahal etc) and lots of imaginary sci fi or fantasy "worlds" usually with lots of robots or fire breathing <somethings> with different scenes of carnage or just "The daily life in Robotsexland". Really liked the "microcosm" idea (and still do). I remember making the haunted mansion from memory and then when I found some real pictures I crushed the thing and started over as it was nothing like I remembered lol. Even had angry people standing in a way too long line.

• 6 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...
Drivable Lego car built piece by piece -- all 500,000
Jolie Lee, USA TODAY Network 12:47 p.m. EST December 19, 2013
The car reaches a top speed of 18 mph and runs on air.
1387461441000-legocar.jpg

(Photo: Josh Rowe for Super Awesome Micro Project)

The first drivable Lego car is made of 500,000 pieces and runs on air.

VIDEO: Watch the test drive of the Lego car

The inventors of the Lego car are Australian entrepreneur Steve Sammartino and Romanian Raul Oaida, a self-taught technology guru.

The car — known as the Super Awesome Micro Project — can reach a top speed of 18 mph. It was built in Romania and delivered to a location in the suburbs of Melbourne, Australia, where the car was test-driven, according to the inventors' website.

"We were scared of a Lego explosion, so we drove it slowly," the inventors said on their site.

Even the engine is made of Legos, which has "four orbital engines and a total of 256 pistons," according to the site. Only the tires and some load-bearing elements are not made of the plastic block toys.

The pair met when Sammartino accepted a Skype request from Oaida, who was interested in meeting an astronaut whom Sammartino knew, the Daily Mail reports.

"I'm teaching him about business and he's teaching me a bit about physics. It's a really nice mash-up," Sammartino told the Daily Mail.

The project was crowdfunded through Twitter, starting with a request from Sammartino in February 2012, asking for contributions of $500 to $1,000 from 20 participants. In the end, about 40 people funded the project.

This isn't the team's first Lego project. In 2011, Sammartino and Oaida launched a Lego shuttle in Germany, reaching a maximum altitude of 35,000 meters.

Follow @JolieLeeDC on Twitter

• 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...