Other alternative DANCE clubs

I really wish a Friday/Saturday event would take hold and grow at iLounge in Clutch Cargos. Perfect dark/red/decadent atmosphere, decent size, clean... There have been attempts to start things there but they fizzle out quickly.

I'm thinking about producing a variety show there this Spring. I'll have to check their usages policies vs. the Leland and a few other places. Speaking of which, Raev and I need to get together to start scripting, budgeting, and auditioning.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It doesnt have to be goth/industrial, because when it comes to that, CC and Necto are the only current DANCE clubs.

Isnt Tonic like 16+?

My mom goes to boogie fever so there is no way I would go there, lol.

I thought club blue was a top 40 bar :/

Im pretty sure there are not any goth places that are within driving distance that are in canada, actually the only club I even knew about closed a few years ago (savage garden)

Thank you for posting though, ill do some research on the ones you mentioned...

Bleu has done all kinds of stuff from trance to rap. Ive always had a good time there.

No matter how much promotion 95.5fm does for Tonic and Clutch Cargos, they remain a fine example of Pontiac. ...Tonic's bottle sevice and a VIP area just puts the cherry on top ;p

Ive never been to Boogy Fever. Ive heard that's a good thing.

I pretty much listed all of the places that I know where bar patron dancing is the main attraction. Good luck and have fun=D

Speaking of which, Raev and I need to get together to start scripting, budgeting, and auditioning.

Yeah we do.

As for pooling resources for Mephistos...I miss that place so much, that I'd throw some money at getting it going again if it were possible.

Well, "goth" night has been gone from Luna for awhile a while now. In its place? "Electro-Pop/Dance" night. Playing all your favorite jams from Ke$ha, Lady Gaga, Jay-Z, Rhianna, and maybe one Muse song. ROFL. Just so they can claim they still play "alternative."

Wow Lady Gaga and Jay-Z on the same night? I'm CLEARLY missing out, lemme tell ya.

Wow Lady Gaga and Jay-Z on the same night? I'm CLEARLY missing out, lemme tell ya.

What happened to that buzz that deadline was going to restart at a different bar?

Oh, you'll find out in due time... in due time :)

And while it won't be Dead-Line per-se it will use that as a starting point for something new which is much needed in this stagnant scene.

Edited by DJ Saint

And while it won't be Dead-Line per-se it will use that as a starting point for something new which is much needed in this stagnant scene.

Don't know about stagnant. We try to focus on material that is new and from the prior year. I know many of the CC DJ's do the same.

JInx

Don't know about stagnant. We try to focus on material that is new and from the prior year. I know many of the CC DJ's do the same.

JInx

Haven't seen a Necto playlist in a while but have heard reports that a lot of new/recent (and not the usual overplayed or retro material) is getting played quite regularly. That's always good to hear.

JInx

Yeah, and that's the problem that most of the Deadline crowd had :laugh:. The "scene" might not be stagnant...but new-scene music is AWFUL. Sorry. I have not heard but maybe one or two good bands that came out in the past five years that are worth even a second listen. But it's all taste and preference really. And the morale and number of goth-ish people in the Detroit area seems to have either been lowered, or people are hiding and not coming out anymore, or whatever. Just my personal observations which are in no way expert but are congruent with the opinions of many others around the area.

I wouldn't have a problem listening to new "industrial" (quotes added because you can hardly call that shit industrial) if it didn't, erm, well blow chunks real hard, sound the same as every other song, and have nothing but boppy repetitive shit. There may be a few songs that catch me and get me to dance, especially if I've been infused with beer, but nothing to keep me at a club if that's all they're playing.

Yeah, and that's the problem that most of the Deadline crowd had :laugh:. The "scene" might not be stagnant...but new-scene music is AWFUL. Sorry. I have not heard but maybe one or two good bands that came out in the past five years that are worth even a second listen. But it's all taste and preference really. And the morale and number of goth-ish people in the Detroit area seems to have either been lowered, or people are hiding and not coming out anymore, or whatever. Just my personal observations which are in no way expert but are congruent with the opinions of many others around the area.

I wouldn't have a problem listening to new "industrial" (quotes added because you can hardly call that shit industrial) if it didn't, erm, well blow chunks real hard, sound the same as every other song, and have nothing but boppy repetitive shit. There may be a few songs that catch me and get me to dance, especially if I've been infused with beer, but nothing to keep me at a club if that's all they're playing.

I ought to to slap you... In a nice way of course, here I go on my rant.

There is SO MUCH good material that is new. For both goth and industrial. Stuff that has a new sound AS WELL AS stuff that sounds like it should have been made in the 80's.

At deadline, we did play retro stuff, but we mixed it in with new things, sure I played Siouxie and the Banshees, but I also played Solemn Novena in the same night. The main problem is people dont know the stuff is out there. Which is a DJ's job to be like "Hey, look what I found".

Also, TECHNOLOGY HAS CHANGED there for, the sound of electronic music will evolve. Not everything is going to sound like front 242 forever...I would get sick of it if it did.

A healthy does of old AND new is the job that should be done.

And to jynx, if you actually are playing new stuff, congrats. We may not get along, but you are doing the right thing.

BACK ON SUBJECT PLZ or take me to PM.

Edited by DJ Nocker

I'm thinking about producing a variety show there this Spring. I'll have to check their usages policies vs. the Leland and a few other places. Speaking of which, Raev and I need to get together to start scripting, budgeting, and auditioning.

Variety show? Oooooh!

Variety show? Oooooh!

I'm probably the only one but I enjoy Luna on Thursdays...I only go about once every ~3 months or so, but it's a lot of fun in its own way. But totally not goth at ALL - very mainstream pop 80s, and even 90s now. I haven't heard Gaga there yet, thank god, but lots of Billy Idol, Michael Jackson, A-Ha, etc, and also Depeche Mode, The Cure, etc. I dunno, it's good stuff, fun. But no industrial and no solid goth rock. Have to be willing to put up with all the normals though. ;)

Other than that I really only usually hit CC and Necto, but I'm still the height of uncool and love those places (CC more than Necto, but Necto's quickly growing on me).

If you want something on other nights and don't mind a little drive down to Ohio, there's Dystopia in Toledo on Sundays and Bowling Green on Wednesdays. They both have decent dance space. If you're south of Detroit, the drive's not even all that bad.

I ought to to slap you... In a nice way of course, here I go on my rant.

There is SO MUCH good material that is new. For both goth and industrial. Stuff that has a new sound AS WELL AS stuff that sounds like it should have been made in the 80's.

At deadline, we did play retro stuff, but we mixed it in with new things, sure I played Siouxie and the Banshees, but I also played Solemn Novena in the same night. The main problem is people dont know the stuff is out there. Which is a DJ's job to be like "Hey, look what I found".

Also, TECHNOLOGY HAS CHANGED there for, the sound of electronic music will evolve. Not everything is going to sound like front 242 forever...I would get sick of it if it did.

A healthy does of old AND new is the job that should be done.

And to jynx, if you actually are playing new stuff, congrats. We may not get along, but you are doing the right thing.

BACK ON SUBJECT PLZ or take me to PM.

Id hit the 'like' button if I could, hit it twice. ...so many good things I could say, that Ill save for when Im buying you a beer. Kudos =D

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

There's still the Works in Corktown. I'm pretty sure all they do is throbbing dance music. The crowd is never the same from weekend to weekend. They gutted the front room and moved the bar plus added a patio for even more dancing space. It's kinda skanky but it's always my go to spot after City for getting down til the sun comes up.

http://www.facebook.com/souldivide?v=wall#!/event.php?eid=184540211576018&index=1

Im not sure how much this relates to this thread but it is an alternative event. This group of performers has been knows to do plays on even post apocalyptic America. If you like sexuality, humor and well a burlesque and almost Gothic looking performance this is it.

There's still the Works in Corktown. I'm pretty sure all they do is throbbing dance music. The crowd is never the same from weekend to weekend. They gutted the front room and moved the bar plus added a patio for even more dancing space. It's kinda skanky but it's always my go to spot after City for getting down til the sun comes up.

i do like the works...oh deadline

memmmmoorriiieeeeesss

http://www.facebook.com/souldivide?v=wall#!/event.php?eid=184540211576018&index=1

Im not sure how much this relates to this thread but it is an alternative event. This group of performers has been knows to do plays on even post apocalyptic America. If you like sexuality, humor and well a burlesque and almost Gothic looking performance this is it.

Yeah they're alright, I helped them set up at the Dirty Show last year. I miss Visions of Detroit, had the best talent in the area, but they haven't been doing as much lately. There is another one, but even though it's not the best form to dish a performance group in print, I don't care for them as much as VoD. I think it was Chaos productions or something? VoD was just better talent wise imo, not singling out any performers, just overall more professional. I also thought it was poor form when the person who promotes for Chaos did nothing back stage at Dirty Show and talk shit about all of the other performance troupes, such as VoD and Tickled Fancy Burlesque, which is not only tacky but when you performance group looks like little kids twirling batons compared to the others (VoD, etc), then you probably have no room to talk :laugh:. He was even trying to "poach" me away from VoD! Wtf, right? Unprofessional...

That said, I can't wait for Dirty Show again this year!

Yeah they're alright, I helped them set up at the Dirty Show last year. I miss Visions of Detroit, had the best talent in the area, but they haven't been doing as much lately. There is another one, but even though it's not the best form to dish a performance group in print, I don't care for them as much as VoD. I think it was Chaos productions or something? VoD was just better talent wise imo, not singling out any performers, just overall more professional. I also thought it was poor form when the person who promotes for Chaos did nothing back stage at Dirty Show and talk shit about all of the other performance troupes, such as VoD and Tickled Fancy Burlesque, which is not only tacky but when you performance group looks like little kids twirling batons compared to the others (VoD, etc), then you probably have no room to talk :laugh:. He was even trying to "poach" me away from VoD! Wtf, right? Unprofessional...

That said, I can't wait for Dirty Show again this year!

Thanks for posting but its not about a dance club, so it has no real relation to the thread, also something I would NOT be interested in. I am not into the public fetish scene Chaos/Oblivion/VoD/Dirt Show/ect. arent my thing anymore, maybe 4 years ago. Feel free to make an alternate thread to advertise your group.