More posturing from the North. Yawn. They do this constantly. If it does escalate, what will happen in the near future is a proxy war between China and the US, using the Koreans on both sides of the fence as cannon fodder.

On second thought, I would not put it past the officials on both sides. The situation for now, though, looks like it will not devolve into anything uglier. Remember, there's a new dictator coming to power eventually over there, and they have to have a country left for him to rule mercilessly. It's Juche at work.

More posturing from the North. Yawn. They do this constantly. If it does escalate, what will happen in the near future is a proxy war between China and the US, using the Koreans on both sides of the fence as cannon fodder.

Not likely. With how tied the two countries are economically and China publicly condemning the Norths actions, I don't think full will be tolerated by the US or China.

Not likely. With how tied the two countries are economically and China publicly condemning the Norths actions, I don't think full will be tolerated by the US or China.

The latest from the BBC and The Guardian all suggests that the Chinese are simply urging restraint, which is what they've been doing for quite some time now. It's best not to ruin that economic opportunity, so they must think. A blatant denouncement of their neighbor's actions is scarce in coming.

China would not take the side of North Korea...ties they have made in the past few years would make that move the same as cutting off their own balls. Things have changed...

And yeah I hope this does NOT grow into anything worse...I REALLY don't want to get deployed to Korea...UGH!

China would not take the side of North Korea...ties they have made in the past few years would make that move the same as cutting off their own balls. Things have changed...

And yeah I hope this does NOT grow into anything worse...I REALLY don't want to get deployed to Korea...UGH!

I heard the stories of the post on the 58th.

On second thought, I would not put it past the officials on both sides. The situation for now, though, looks like it will not devolve into anything uglier. Remember, there's a new dictator coming to power eventually over there, and they have to have a country left for him to rule mercilessly. It's Juche at work.

The Chinese may take shortcuts in business ventures because they're thinking short term and not long term, but I REALLY think after all these years they're not stupid enough to bayonet their own balls off. They're not only thriving because we buy all their shit, but they seem closer to us than they've been since WWII and I don't think they're crazy enough to fuck that up now.

What IS a frightening prospect, and I'm not sure if this was posted further down, is that the inspectors going into North Korea expected very primitive Cold-Era weaponry and found VERY modern and high-tech nuclear devices that we THINK they may have gotten from Pakistan. My terrorist professor explained that the reason Pakistan is so iffy is because we did actually fuck them over, we basically used them against the Soviet Union when they were available and allied with their allies. After the war was over we told Pakistan that their allies are our enemies and that they need to fight against them. Pakistan feels like a pawn in our international games, they KNOW we like India better than them (and they hate India) and that the only reason we ever "call them" is if we can use them for something. And then, as the last straw, George W had to be a jackass and piss off the Pakistani President by putting him on the spot in front of a giant crowd of people because he was stupid and didn't know shit about how to do politics in other cultures. Needless to say, the Pakistani president was SUPER insulted.

Raise your hand virtually if you have a friend like this and you want to punch them in the face. Now...pretend you're Pakistan. Does it seem so outlandish NOW that they'd turn on us? As horrible as this is to say, we'd almost deserve it.

The Chinese may take shortcuts in business ventures because they're thinking short term and not long term, but I REALLY think after all these years they're not stupid enough to bayonet their own balls off. They're not only thriving because we buy all their shit, but they seem closer to us than they've been since WWII and I don't think they're crazy enough to fuck that up now.

What IS a frightening prospect, and I'm not sure if this was posted further down, is that the inspectors going into North Korea expected very primitive Cold-Era weaponry and found VERY modern and high-tech nuclear devices that we THINK they may have gotten from Pakistan. My terrorist professor explained that the reason Pakistan is so iffy is because we did actually fuck them over, we basically used them against the Soviet Union when they were available and allied with their allies. After the war was over we told Pakistan that their allies are our enemies and that they need to fight against them. Pakistan feels like a pawn in our international games, they KNOW we like India better than them (and they hate India) and that the only reason we ever "call them" is if we can use them for something. And then, as the last straw, George W had to be a jackass and piss off the Pakistani President by putting him on the spot in front of a giant crowd of people because he was stupid and didn't know shit about how to do politics in other cultures. Needless to say, the Pakistani president was SUPER insulted.

Raise your hand virtually if you have a friend like this and you want to punch them in the face. Now...pretend you're Pakistan. Does it seem so outlandish NOW that they'd turn on us? As horrible as this is to say, we'd almost deserve it.

What makes me nervous is N. Korea hitting Japan because then we would be REQUIRED to fight North Korea at that point, we wouldn't have any way of getting out of it because we are Japan's military now. After they've lobbed missiles OVER the island what makes you think they won't finally aim some at the actual land? It would be devastating in casualty count because Japan is so densely populated, and the rebuild would be expensive because their buildings are so BAMF and costly. It's not like Iraq/Afghanistan where you're blowing up hut after shanty.

What makes me nervous is N. Korea hitting Japan because then we would be REQUIRED to fight North Korea at that point, we wouldn't have any way of getting out of it because we are Japan's military now. After they've lobbed missiles OVER the island what makes you think they won't finally aim some at the actual land? It would be devastating in casualty count because Japan is so densely populated, and the rebuild would be expensive because their buildings are so BAMF and costly. It's not like Iraq/Afghanistan where you're blowing up hut after shanty.
Edited by Chernobyl

I have heard that this is a result from the very shaky political situation in the North. The changing of leadership + the starvation are causing these desperate acts.

I've read similar expert opinions. They are trying to force negotiations through tough talk and posturing(attacks) to get food AND to give the appearance that the new leader is strong.

North Korea doesn't stand a chance in a fight so there is no reason to be nervous. Their nukes are kinda high tech but they are not up to our standards...even though that is still deadly they will never launch one for real.

Why? Well, they are trying to do what Key West did a while back...declare war and then surrender...which would then require us to provide aid to them. Besides the nuked they have NOTHING to fight with. All of their vehicles are cold war era and they are extremely close to being scrapyard material because of the lack of parts and maintenance. China was the only reason that they survived the first war and now...well, China is even going so far as to threaten action against North Korea! With the weapons and vehicles that they have and the lack of an buddy like China...they are fucked.

In short...Japan is more likely to be destroyed by Godzilla than the National Paper Tiger of North Korea.

Very accurate, Cher. Pakistan has constantly gotten some really rotten deals from the entire West. This includes the U.S., U.K., and if you wish, Russia in some respects. This is why so many people cannot understand why so many in the Middle East are anti-American: we have a very long history of involving ourselves in their affairs, using them for our government's own purposes, and then discarding them until we need them again. Sadly enough it seems as if this cycle will continue to repeat itself, especially with regards to Afghanistan (where the real reason we sent troops in is because Karzai is an oil man who's willing to allow the construction of an oil pipeline directly through his country that runs from the Caspian to the Indian Ocean, something of which the Taliban ultimately did not agree to let happen), Iraq (where once again, we're only there to make sure we have indirect control of the oil output of that country), and too many other Middle Eastern nations. And the government wonders why Iran hates it.