Learning different languages

I took Russian for a year, and it was HARD. I got the basics down, enough to get around and survive. I still listen to CDs in the car and on my ipod and such. Keeping at it a least a little every day.

I started the Rosetta Stone German about 2 months ago. Coming along pretty well. Defiantly easier than Russian... but Russian is not all too hard. It's the pronunciation that is hard, not the memorization. Forget the reading. Cyrillic is retarded. I am just trying to communicate for now.

For those that are so inclined - Rosetta Stone is available on Demonoid - not that i endorse pirating (im talking to YOU, FBI.), but there it is.

i have always found it sad that americans are so lacking in foreign language skills. in eurpoean countries, the average citizen knows 2 - 3 languages. i think it is indicitive of the severe xenophobia that is running rampant and unchecked in this country. i think learning a new langauge, and traveling, helps to break the barriers of ignorance that are promoted and endorsed in our society.

plus, it makes you sound smart.

i have always found it sad that americans are so lacking in foreign language skills. in eurpoean countries, the average citizen knows 2 - 3 languages.

On the other hand, in Europe, if you travel 50 miles or so in any direction, you're in another country with a completely different language so multilinguism is a necessity. In the US, if you travel 50 miles in any direction, you might be in a different state but you're still in the same country. You have to go pretty far to get to another country and Canada still speaks English. So we really don't need multilinguism here.

On the other hand, in Europe, if you travel 50 miles or so in any direction, you're in another country with a completely different language so multilinguism is a necessity. In the US, if you travel 50 miles in any direction, you might be in a different state but you're still in the same country. You have to go pretty far to get to another country and Canada still speaks English. So we really don't need multilinguism here.

interesting point, although not entirely true. plenty of countries in europe (england, ireland, spain, france, germany, norway) are larger than 50 miles across. and to be honest, most of them speak english.

no one NEEDS to be multilinguial, i will agree. but america is a melting pot, as they say, and there are hundreds of languages spoken within it's borders.

Tá mé ag foghlaim Gaeilge a labhairt. Labhairt Spáinnis mé beagán

Would like to learn how to speak this^. I took Spanish throughout high school and a couple semesters in college. Don't recall a lot of it. If I read it, I can usually translate it. I really want to learn French (because I'm French-Canadian) and German (no reason, just sounds fucking cool)....maybe norwegian...

• 3 weeks later...

Mine brother is currently overseas in Japan solidifying his hold on the Japanese language. And yet I remain in America with no incentive to learn another language. I would love to, but without rigorous motivation and an actual reason to learn I doubt I'll ever be bilingual or multilingual. If I did, though, it'd be Russian/Japanese/Gaelic (scots rock)

• 1 month later...

I grew up speaking Ojibway more so than English but had to learn English for school. Now I speak Ojibway, Spanish, and English fluently I know a little bit of Russian, French, German, Cherokee and Italian. I want to go further with German and Russian though.

Pestilence is taking German next semester at school and I'm probably more excited about it than he is because I finally get to talk to someone!

Pestilence is taking German next semester at school and I'm probably more excited about it than he is because I finally get to talk to someone!

I grew up speaking Ojibway more so than English but had to learn English for school. Now I speak Ojibway, Spanish, and English fluently I know a little bit of Russian, French, German, Cherokee and Italian. I want to go further with German and Russian though.

That is awesome. I wish I knew how to speak American.

Are there any you want to learn? Any you have learned?

As for me...I've been having a strong interest in learn French as of the last few months.

I think it would be really cool to be able to speak it. Its so elegant.

Try 'Roseta Stone'...I have looked into it, & it seems the best system for learning...my Junior is very interested in foreign languages...second grade, & he is in Spanish class already :p

We will be procuring this programme, for the Spanish, Latin, & Greek soon...