Most disturbing movies of all time

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Excluding A Serbian Film, seeing the titles listed in this threads makes me think a lot of you folks are lightweights.

:p

I agree, needs more rape and ultra violence.

I thought "Antichrist" was going to be more disturbing, it was good but not what I expected. I was expecting an angry Willem Defoe.

Excluding A Serbian Film, seeing the titles listed in this threads makes me think a lot of you folks are lightweights.

:p

Begotten isn't necessarily disturbing in a violent, gory way, though there is plenty of that. It's more in the subtleties of the film. There's scarcely any music, and just little clicks, strange noises, and no dialogue. You're left to interpret the images for yourself. The result is an experience which only grows more uncomfortable and more unsettling as the film goes on. By the time you reach the end, you're actually relieved it's over.

Violence and gore isn't all that disturbing. Food coloring and cairo syrup from the prop department. It's too cheap and too easy.

Violence and gore isn't all that disturbing. Food coloring and cairo syrup from the prop department. It's too cheap and too easy.

:respect::unworthy::thumbsup:

AWESOME. Finally someone who isn't me that gets it. As a matter of fact, I don't find violence/gore to BE all that disturbing. Neither do the thousands of hunters and fishers in the state :laugh:. And to have just disturbing rape and violence gets nine kinds of boring super quick. NOW...if it's violence with a certain art to it, that to me is an exception. But I remember seeing, like, Carrie and Carrie 2 for the first time and thinking they were just bullshit (especially the last massacre scenes) because it was just stupid mindless gore. So I definitely see where you're coming from.

AWESOME. Finally someone who isn't me that gets it. As a matter of fact, I don't find violence/gore to BE all that disturbing. Neither do the thousands of hunters and fishers in the state :laugh:. And to have just disturbing rape and violence gets nine kinds of boring super quick. NOW...if it's violence with a certain art to it, that to me is an exception. But I remember seeing, like, Carrie and Carrie 2 for the first time and thinking they were just bullshit (especially the last massacre scenes) because it was just stupid mindless gore. So I definitely see where you're coming from.

Begotten isn't necessarily disturbing in a violent, gory way, though there is plenty of that. It's more in the subtleties of the film. There's scarcely any music, and just little clicks, strange noises, and no dialogue. You're left to interpret the images for yourself. The result is an experience which only grows more uncomfortable and more unsettling as the film goes on. By the time you reach the end, you're actually relieved it's over.

Sounds like Begotten just may be up my alley. I do appreciate the "Nothing Is Scarier" approach in film and art.

And I have to take into consideration that not everyone's sensibilities are the same - what may be fascinating or even hilarious to some may shocking and disturbing to others.

I agree, needs more rape and ultra violence.

I thought "Antichrist" was going to be more disturbing, it was good but not what I expected. I was expecting an angry Willem Defoe.

Antichrist was ok, but living in a place where I've been near death from tick bites and have a yearly rain of golf ball sized nuts for several months, aside from a little tree humping and semi crucifixion, it just didn't seem that crazy to me.

Actually, come to think of it, for just "disturbing" meaning, my thought process was disturbed, not that it was gorey or violent or horrible, Pan's Labyrinth had two scenes that really f'd with my head for months.

let me guess, the pistol whip scene?

let me guess, the pistol whip scene?

That one only when I'm watching and I remember it's coming up. It's just raw. But also, the pale man. To me, he's the physical embodiment of terminal disease and as someone with severe health problems, he really really freaked me out.

:respect::unworthy::thumbsup:

Define Violence with a certain art to it?

Define Violence with a certain art to it?

I can't, I just know it when I see it :laugh:. Lame answer I know. Lemme clean my house and think about any movies this applies to. Usually either something artistic to it, or symbolic maybe, I think of Clockwork Orange for instance but I know there are many other examples that just aren't coming to mind atm.

I'm also not saying I don't sometimes watch shit that's just gory for no reason. I'm just saying that I tend to usually watch it the least, or have to be in a certain mood for it, because if there is no substance to it the whole thing becomes boring after a movie or so.

I can't, I just know it when I see it :laugh:. Lame answer I know. Lemme clean my house and think about any movies this applies to. Usually either something artistic to it, or symbolic maybe, I think of Clockwork Orange for instance but I know there are many other examples that just aren't coming to mind atm.

I'm also not saying I don't sometimes watch shit that's just gory for no reason. I'm just saying that I tend to usually watch it the least, or have to be in a certain mood for it, because if there is no substance to it the whole thing becomes boring after a movie or so.

Super lamers, and I'll probably get laughed at, but I remember watching Lost Highway and getting super disturbed from two parts: the scene where Bill Pullman's character is at the party in the beginning of the movie and the strange man approaches him and lets him know that he's in his house, and the part almost more toward halfway where the rich fuck with the nice car gives takes the kid at the auto shop out for a ride and ends up threatening/assaulting a dickhole driver on the road. It's just..the guy's REACTION is so crazy real and you feel really frightened for him because it doesn't seem like a movie, his reactions seems incredibly real-life, and I think that's what got me about it.

Lame...I know. But to me "disturbing" isn't necessarily a visual, some gore, some blood, violence, etc. It's how unnerving something seems and how jarred it makes your mind feel.

Super lamers, and I'll probably get laughed at, but I remember watching Lost Highway and getting super disturbed from two parts: the scene where Bill Pullman's character is at the party in the beginning of the movie and the strange man approaches him and lets him know that he's in his house, and the part almost more toward halfway where the rich fuck with the nice car gives takes the kid at the auto shop out for a ride and ends up threatening/assaulting a dickhole driver on the road. It's just..the guy's REACTION is so crazy real and you feel really frightened for him because it doesn't seem like a movie, his reactions seems incredibly real-life, and I think that's what got me about it.

Lame...I know. But to me "disturbing" isn't necessarily a visual, some gore, some blood, violence, etc. It's how unnerving something seems and how jarred it makes your mind feel.

Nothing lame about David Lynch movies my dear.