MS...just diagnosed!

Aralis

I was just diagnosed with MS. I have been getting all kinds of tests done since I went to my general doctor and told her what was going on. She referred me to a Neurologist. I have had CAT scans, MRIs and blood work done. After waiting over a month to go back to the Neurologist to go over my MRIs I finally found out yesterday the results. The worst part was the waiting and not knowing what was wrong with me.

I have to get some weird eye test done next week...I have scripts to pick up tomorrow to get filled...have no idea what they are and within the next 2 weeks I will be getting IV transfusions for 5 days in a row at a facility. I also have to get more MRIs done at the beginning of June on my lower back...that area was never scanned. Three lesions were found..that are active...one on each hemisphere of my brain and on my spinal cord in my neck.

Does anyone here have MS or have experience in treating it or dealing with it?

I'm so sorry to hear that. I dated a girl whose dad has it. It did seem difficult for him to do certain things, however, he was kind, good spirited and friendly. And the latter far outweighs the former

:grouphug

My older sister has had MS for at least 15 years. It can be a debilitating disease. A friend of mine who has been a CC regular for a long time also has it and it very much takes precedence in certain parts of her life.

Paying for the medication is a task. My friend says her body temperature always feels higher than usual, and can not be in bright light as it gives her colossal migraines. My sister used to shake like mad and was at one point half paralyzed because of the way it affected her brain. I'm not sure if it is as severe for everyone and I hope not. You can do plenty of research online, and I'm sure your doctors will fill you in. You are unfortunate, because there's nothing that you did wrong to get it, you just got screwed at random.

I agree with Mean Salley in that you will gain much more information from your physicians, and personal research. A friend of mine, who is no longer here for other reasons, was going through this right before she passed away. Her physicians first discovered it through her eye problems. She went to a neurologist, and they found lesions, which kept multiplying. She passed away before she had any major episodes, but she did say that her physicians told her that she could have times of fluctuating muscle functioning. Apparently, they told her that she could be ok for years, functioning as normal, but then hit a hard spot where she would have a harder time with muscle control for months, and then go back to her normal. I don't remember what the medication was called, but she did have to give herself a shot once or twice a week to ward off symptoms.

I'm sorry that you're going through this, and that none of us seem to have any positive information for you. I don't know enough about it, so maybe I should just keep my mouth shut. My best advice, though, from what I learned from my friend, is that when you hit a rough spot, hang in there, because things can change. I also remember her saying something about that she was told she would need to do extensive rehab during her down times.

I hope the best for you, Aralis, and am sad that you are going through this. **hugs**

I have friends with it and even though it could take it's toll at times, they were the kind of people that didn't let it slow them down much. I would suggest you try the same strategy. :-)

Also, I've done a 150 mile bicycle ride a few times that benefits MS and might do it again. Hopefully the money made will help you in some way in the future.

I'm so sorry that this has happened to you! I used to work with a woman who had it, and much like others have said, she had very defined up and down times. I guess, try to ride it, stay positive, and don't be afraid to lean on your friends and family. *hugs*

Thanks everyone for your kind words and stories. I am doing alot of research online and talking to others who have it. I am staying positive and am gonna do all I can to fight this and not let it take me over.