The well-being of today's students.

CalicoKittyKat

I apologize if this is in the wrong area, but I really have no idea where else to post it. And it is concerning the well-being of the today's youth, your children, your future children, your siblings, and your family, and possibly you.

You wanna fucking help out today's youth instead of just bitching about how horrid they are? Here's your chance--Students from the Dearborn Public Schools District have organized a rally in Lansing to protest school budget cuts. These budgets will result in the lay-off in a MASSIVE number of public school staff, and the cutting of programs integral to the development of well-rounded students such as; art programs, music programs, AP programs, electives, and other extra-curricular activities. This will also cause an increase of student:teacher ratio (approx. 40:1). These cuts are WRONG for students, school staff, parents, and the community in general. Pending school approval*, we will leave on Tuesday, November 17th, 2009 around 7AM for Lansing, MI, for our rally, after which will we be returning back to Dearborn around 530pm. The cost for the bus is $15 or you can put that $15 in your gas tank and drive to Lansing. Please join us in this effort to save our educational system.

My brother and a few of his fellow students have worked very hard to organize this rally. This shit is REALLY organized, I assure you. In just four days, they have managed to gain the support of over 200 students, faculty members, and parents. My brother and the three other students that organized this event are going to speak to the PTA board tonight at 5pm, in hopes of "allowing" them to go. (This is not a school event, but the administrators are not too pleased about so many students taking the day off school for this)

PLEASE ATTEND IF YOU CARE ABOUT THE EDUCATION OF TODAY'S CHILDREN. They NEED music, arts, and enough TEACHERS to LEARN.

If you want more information about this, please contact me on here, on my myspace, or my facebook.

Spread the world. By the way, these budget cuts affect ALL public school systems in Michigan, not just Dearborn.

*Pending school approval, as in the school board does not want 200 students to miss a day of class, because they could possibly lose funding for this day. I plan on attending and taking my brother regardless.

Edited by CalicoKittyKat

I feel for every single child's education.

As I work as a school bus attendant, I am around 90 students everyday....I see that they are suffering...not to mention that the children that I transport are Detroit kids who's schools have been shut down because of these budgets. I need to take them 45+ min to Inkster for them to go to school. Because there schools are shut down some children need to catch 2 city buses to catch a school bus...this should not have to happen.

Great post in a terrible sort of way. I'd like some more information about this.

:clap:

...you know...the peoples makin' up the rules...they don't WANT the poor to be well rounded students...& most of their parents are not very rounded...THEY, are tryin' to make a 2 dimensional slave population...if these peoples do not start speaking up...they'll have super-stupid-grand-childeren...if they get any at all, it does take a certain level of I.Q. to 'insert-tab-A-into-slot-B' you know.

Sadly, every budget for every service that government provides in this state is having it's funding cut. The state has been in an ever worsening financial crisis since the beginning of the decade. With people unable to get a job, they are abandoning the state, just like the companies that used to be here, and with both goes the tax money necessary to fund schools, road construction and a million other services. No one wants to give up their slice of the pie, but until things turn around, that's exactly what has to happen or we run out of money for everything. I have two children in school now, I would certainly like to see their education enriched as much as possible, but I don't see money being created from nothing. Perhaps it's time for the parents to band together and provide these enrichments ourselves? Ultimately, it's a parents responsibility to raise their children and see that they're provided the tools and means to enrich their own lives as best they can.

That said... I wish your group luck. :yes