industrial music appreciation thread

Simon Bar Sinister

were you ever into Severed Heads? SH leader Tom Ellard himself is posting mucho cool SH vids. I'll grab something at some point and post it here; there's a couple of slightly more obscure things I want to get to first, bwahahaha...

Two or three of their albums I have yes...

They had a nice skinny puppy meets the residents feel to them IMO

Ah yes that was back when NIN was cutting edge and original.... those were the days.... (before they got lazy and started stealing other peoples songs)....

I have to respectfully disagree on that. I was lucky enough to run across Ghosts I-IV on a recent visit to Rock of Ages. They still find ways to be innovative...I have much respect for Trent in telling the music industry to go fuck itself and decide to do release all future NIN material on his own without the recording industry pressuring him to mold into this radio-friendly monster. And releasing The Slip for free was more or less a hell of a way to give the corporate music industry one gigantic middle finger. I always look forward to new NIN material.

I have to respectfully disagree on that. I was lucky enough to run across Ghosts I-IV on a recent visit to Rock of Ages. They still find ways to be innovative...I have much respect for Trent in telling the music industry to go fuck itself and decide to do release all future NIN material on his own without the recording industry pressuring him to mold into this radio-friendly monster. And releasing The Slip for free was more or less a hell of a way to give the corporate music industry one gigantic middle finger. I always look forward to new NIN material.

But he steals his stuff...

Proof:

---Hanzel Und Gretyl 1997.

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=UNFFk0NWlaE

---Nine Inch Nails 2000

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=Rqs88oCYznI

And that, was the moment I stopped being a fan of NIN... Taking a then lesser known band and ripping them off... Yeah, I can't get behind that.

It seems purely coincidental to me. It would be something worth asking Trent Reznor though.

The two songs sound awefully close to me to be considered a coincidence... but that is just my opinion.... and if he DID steal it... do you think he would admit it when asked?

More then likely yes. Trent does have a record of being extremely proud of the material he produces, and I don't think he'd steal other musicians' ideas like that. I think he'd more been keen on approaching the group or artist in question and obtaining their permission first before doing anything. I can cite a good example of a blatant ripoff though...Megadeth's Mechanix...the chords, drumming style, and bass is a dead-on copy of Metallica's "The Four Horsemen" from Kill Em All. That is what I define as stealing...and it only makes me hate Megadeth that much more too.

When Trent took the structure for "Terrible Lie" from Skinny Puppies "Dig It" he was admitting that Skinny Puppy was one of his biggest influences... but as he got bigger less credit was given...

And someone being proud of something really has no bearing on whether or not they stole it. (Elvis Presly anyone?)

• 2 weeks later...

If people on DGN don't know this song... their goth cards are revoked, and the Industrial Gothic Surgical Strike Team (IGSST) will be coming over to your homes to destroy all black lipstick and dark nail polish found on the premises. Also any music and/or posters found that have reference to Marlyn Manson will be burned.

If people on DGN don't know this song... their goth cards are revoked, and the Industrial Gothic Surgical Strike Team (IGSST) will be coming over to your homes to destroy all black lipstick and dark nail polish found on the premises. Also any music and/or posters found that have reference to Marlyn Manson will be burned.

:clap:

I have already spammed it accordingly...so as that no one has ANY EXCUSE...it is in no less than 5 threads...so let it be known..& let it be done.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...