Man Arrested For Kissing His Daughter

Man Arrested for Kissing His Own Daughter September 7, 2009

Italian tourist faces 15 years in prison after Brazil pool incident.

A controversy is brewing in Brazil over a 48-year-old Italian tourist who was arrested for touching and kissing his own 8-year-old daughter, the BBC reports. A couple reported seeing the man touching a young girl inappropriately at a hotel pool, apparently unaware that the girl was his daughter. Under a strict new law designed to combat child abuse, the man faces 8 to 15 years in prison.

The man has been in jail for nearly a week; an attempt this weekend to free him failed. Another will likely be made tomorrow. The misunderstanding happened in part because the man’s wife is Brazilian, so the child has darker skin than he does. His wife says she wouldn’t hesitate to take the daughter’s side if he had touched her inappropriately, but says she was by the pool the entire time.

—Kevin Spak

BBC News

so let me get this strait... he has sex with his wife, she has a baby 9 months later but doesn't think the kid is his? cuz she is now 8, and has really dark skin, and he doesn't... were they not married when they did this? or what? cuz I'm just trying to understand the whole "I didn't know she was my daughter, even though I'm married to her mother" thing... o.O either way..... um wow jeeze.... i dunno what else to say...

A couple reported seeing the man touching a young girl inappropriately at a hotel pool, apparently unaware that the girl was his daughter.

No, the couple who reported the incident was unaware that it was his daughter he was kissing, not the man kissing his daughter.

so let me get this strait... he has sex with his wife, she has a baby 9 months later but doesn't think the kid is his? cuz she is now 8, and has really dark skin, and he doesn't... were they not married when they did this? or what? cuz I'm just trying to understand the whole "I didn't know she was my daughter, even though I'm married to her mother" thing... o.O either way..... um wow jeeze.... i dunno what else to say...

No, the man knew he was the girl's father. Another couple witnessed the man (the girl's father) touch her "inappropriately" based upon a poor assumption that the girl was unrelated to the man because she was a different skin color than he was. Apparently, the man who is the girl's father touched her completely appropriately in regards to his relation to her, but ignorant people making racist judgments did not believe that he could have been related and reported his actions as inappropriate thinking the girl was a stranger to the man.

What they saw: a creepy white man picks up a little dark skinned girl that he had been watching intently and showers her with pecks on the cheek (or something of that kind).

What happened: a man who was watching his daughter at the pool made a show of fatherly affection to her.

Not likely that the man WILL go to prison at all, but because the arrest was made, there's now red tape, etc, to Brazil's embarrassment, that must be dealt with formally before the man can be cleared of all charges, and the man is a foreign national, too.

Guess if he had "disciplined" the child by hitting her they wouldn't have batted an eye?

Poor man. What I don't understand is how the hell did a misunderstanding get to the point of an actual arrest? I hope he sues the crap out of whoever is responsible. Bad police work, to say the least.

No, the man knew he was the girl's father. Another couple witnessed the man (the girl's father) touch her "inappropriately" based upon a poor assumption that the girl was unrelated to the man because she was a different skin color than he was. Apparently, the man who is the girl's father touched her completely appropriately in regards to his relation to her, but ignorant people making racist judgments did not believe that he could have been related and reported his actions as inappropriate thinking the girl was a stranger to the man.

What they saw: a creepy white man picks up a little dark skinned girl that he had been watching intently and showers her with pecks on the cheek (or something of that kind).

What happened: a man who was watching his daughter at the pool made a show of fatherly affection to her.

Not likely that the man WILL go to prison at all, but because the arrest was made, there's now red tape, etc, to Brazil's embarrassment, that must be dealt with formally before the man can be cleared of all charges, and the man is a foreign national, too.

yeah, thanks for the clarity LOL cuz when i read it my mind did a topsy turvy... lol cuz i got all confuzled LOL :)