deep fried

what are good models? I need one. also, what oil do you use...and what are some out-of-the-ordinary things you like deep-fried?

Go with a well-known brand like Rival, Presto, or Cuisinart. As far as models, that depends on your specific needs... how much frying you plan to do, how much storage space you have, are you a bit of a klutz (in which case you want a stay-cool model)?

Here is a good "what to look for" bit.

I fry in canola oil which is cheap and relatively not-bad for you. But my mother fries everything in olive oil these days, even healthier but too expensive for me.

As for out-of-the-ordinary things to fry, I'm a traditionalist... chicken and seafood... that's pretty much it. And I do it in a good old-fashioned cast iron skillet... but if someone gave me a nice deep fryer I would definitely use it.

Peanut oil and good old-fashioned lard are still my frying greases of choice.

Peanut oil can be expensive, though..and many people are allergic, so be sure to ask your guests, if you are expecting company for supper. It has a high smoke point (450 degrees Fahrenheit), a bland flavour, and it doesn't absorb or transfer the flavours of foods.

As for lard, well, pork fat RULES. Yeah, I know it's unhealthy, but it's goooood. There is nothing better for making french fries, churros, empanadas, elephant ears, fry bread, etc. Unfortunately, it has a low smoke point-- between 361-401 degrees Fahrenheit, depending upon how well-rendered and how fresh it is.

Be sure to keep all of your cooking fats well-covered, and in a cool, dry place, to prevent them from going rancid.

Edited by jynxxxedangel

Peanut oil and good old-fashioned lard are still my frying greases of choice.

Peanut oil can be expensive, though..and many people are allergic, so be sure to ask your guests, if you are expecting company for supper. It has a high smoke point (450 degrees Fahrenheit), a bland flavour, and it doesn't absorb or transfer the flavours of foods.

As for lard, well, pork fat RULES. Yeah, I know it's unhealthy, but it's goooood. There is nothing better for making french fries, churros, empanadas, elephant ears, fry bread, etc. Unfortunately, it has a low smoke point-- between 361-401 degrees Fahrenheit, depending upon how well-rendered and how fresh it is.

Be sure to keep all of your cooking fats well-covered, and in a cool, dry place, to prevent them from going rancid.

manteca!!! tamale masa just isn't the same w/o it!

thx 4 yr responses so far...a couple of questions:

anyone here ever tried rice oil? It's supposed to be able to withstand 500+ degree temps without burning.

has anyone done tempura at home? tips, pls!

manteca!!! tamale masa just isn't the same w/o it!

thx 4 yr responses so far...a couple of questions:

anyone here ever tried rice oil? It's supposed to be able to withstand 500+ degree temps without burning.

has anyone done tempura at home? tips, pls!

I believe that our poet friend Destiny has done both. I will find out for you from her about this.

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...