What do you miss?

On 6/14/2021 at 2:09 AM, Scary Guy said:

I miss when older people were deserving of that respect.  I miss being young too.

On 6/14/2021 at 9:37 PM, NocteSpiritus said:

Agree on both accounts.

The same complaint has been leveled by every generation about the previous generation.   The older generation has always been the oppressors'. The older generation has always viewed the younger as crybaby slackers as well.  Ageism in both directions. 

Casting an entire demographic or group in the same light as its worst members. 

There was no golden age when older people were as "woke" as younger people.  

They've always ben cast as the devil.   Its similar to any other sort of bigotry. 

We cast a whole demographic based on the actions of a minority within that demographic. 

Ageism is the last socially acceptable form of bigotry.   We don't have any "real" minorities to hate anymore , at least not publicly. So they are the last group. 

Although hating men as a whole has always been fun. I don't think that will ever actually change.  Just too many men behaving  in a way that is outside the modern social contract more than women tend to.  I can't picture that ever fully going away.  

If we didn't have older or younger people to hate I'm not sure who we could pick to hate next. 

I try to actively work on myself internally every day but we just can't help casting "group" nets.
Its to hard to make sense of the world by viewing every single person as an individual.  We need to continue to TRY , but humans are inherently xenophobes.   Its a hard thing to fight. Its a key thing that most primates have in their evolutionary history.  One of the things  that  kept us on top of the food chain for 300K+ years 

Its very difficult to make sense of the huge groups we now have to deal with as opposed to our 100 people or less tribes for all of human history.  So we revert to this sort of shorthand despite our best efforts not to.  

I miss HUGS.  I'll never EVER take them for granted!
I miss my mom.  You'd think that would lessen over the years.  It's been the opposite.
I miss the gang at S.T.A.R. at Wayne State University.  I was such a young punk back then...they were my intellectual idols!
I miss the beach.  Really gotta get out there this summer!
I miss doing yard work with my lil' buddy, J.  We had some really good chats working outdoors.
I miss my colleagues and students at Irene's.  Hope to be back with 'em one day soon.
I miss good manners; common kindness.
I miss Small's, Leland City Club, the old pre-fire C.J. Barrymore's, Wooly Bully's circa 1988, Nitro's, LaNotte's (and its successor, Chaplain's Comedy Club).
I miss "The Man from U.N.C.L.E."
I miss Weight Watchers chocolate mint pops.  And Choc-O-Malts!
I miss the Dutch Elm trees that made the streets look like leafy tunnels, and the mighty roar when the wind blew through them.
I miss J.L. Hudson's, Sears (AND Roebuck), Arlan's (Mt. Clemens) and Neisner's "dime store."
I miss the Bob-Lo boats AND Bob-Lo island!  AND Edgewater Amusement park!
I miss "The Top of the Flame" restaurant downtown.
I miss Leonard Nimoy, Mark Lenard, DeForest Kelly and Jimmy Doohan... and the great stories they made.
I miss playing in the woods.  (And the time for play in general.)
Ah, I could go on.  I won't.  :)

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/17/2021 at 3:38 PM, Troy Spiral said:

The same complaint has been leveled by every generation about the previous generation.   The older generation has always been the oppressors'. The older generation has always viewed the younger as crybaby slackers as well.  Ageism in both directions. 

Casting an entire demographic or group in the same light as its worst members. 

There was no golden age when older people were as "woke" as younger people.  

They've always ben cast as the devil.   Its similar to any other sort of bigotry. 

We cast a whole demographic based on the actions of a minority within that demographic. 

Ageism is the last socially acceptable form of bigotry.   We don't have any "real" minorities to hate anymore , at least not publicly. So they are the last group. 

Although hating men as a whole has always been fun. I don't think that will ever actually change.  Just too many men behaving  in a way that is outside the modern social contract more than women tend to.  I can't picture that ever fully going away.  

If we didn't have older or younger people to hate I'm not sure who we could pick to hate next. 

I try to actively work on myself internally every day but we just can't help casting "group" nets.
Its to hard to make sense of the world by viewing every single person as an individual.  We need to continue to TRY , but humans are inherently xenophobes.   Its a hard thing to fight. Its a key thing that most primates have in their evolutionary history.  One of the things  that  kept us on top of the food chain for 300K+ years 

Its very difficult to make sense of the huge groups we now have to deal with as opposed to our 100 people or less tribes for all of human history.  So we revert to this sort of shorthand despite our best efforts not to.  

Tolerance is given freely, but acceptance and respect have to be earned.  Besides, have you met most old people lately?  Boomers get a lot of hate for a reason.  Of course Gen-X are starting to get it as well.  I will agree there is a lot of ageism out there, though I feel much of it is reactionary.  IDK, but as long as people stay the FUCK off my lawn things will be great.

No, I feel like for the most part the coming generations have been an improvement on the previous ones.  But "youth is wasted on the young." If they only would listen to their elders on the important things, but I'd tune them out too if I said all the dumb shit that tends to come out of their mouths.  Unfortunately the good stuff about education and taking care of yourself gets drowned out along with the crap.  It's never been cool to listen to your elders it seems.  Being smart seems to have a stigma against it as well.  I should just go lift things and eat bananas like some dumb ape.

On 7/6/2021 at 2:01 AM, TronRP said:

I miss the days when you bought cable because it was commercial free.

I don't think that was ever a thing, at least not since I've been living.  Maybe the specialty channels like HBO, Showtime, Skinnimax, etc...  I mean they still have them but only in between the shows-movies.

At least PBS is still free and acts like it always has.  Not that I watch that much TV anymore, and when I do I fast forward the DVR past all that.

There used to be a service that would blank out the commercials.  All you'd get was a blue screen with no sound.  Never had that but it sounds nice.

Now you can just pirate everything and get it for free.  Though I guess sometimes they add in their own commercials now, which is its own level of weird.

On 7/7/2021 at 12:13 PM, Scary Guy said:

I don't think that was ever a thing, at least not since I've been living.  Maybe the specialty channels like HBO, Showtime, Skinnimax, etc...  I mean they still have them but only in between the shows-movies.

At least PBS is still free and acts like it always has.  Not that I watch that much TV anymore, and when I do I fast forward the DVR past all that.

There used to be a service that would blank out the commercials.  All you'd get was a blue screen with no sound.  Never had that but it sounds nice.

Now you can just pirate everything and get it for free.  Though I guess sometimes they add in their own commercials now, which is its own level of weird.

~~~~~

Back in the early 80's, Barden Cable serviced Detroit and several surrounding cities, but it was so expensive at that time; we used to believe that only rich people could afford it.  However, the TV would be flooded with ads about how cool "commercial free TV" viewing was and our friends who could afford it would talk about how there were no censors and movies ran in their entirety.  Our mother decided that cable was a bad influence.

It wasn't until 1994 that we finally got cable, on one TV, and the first thing we watched was the then, original "Family Channel" that would run Robotech, Gummy Bears and The Ewoks commercial free every morning.  It was part of "Basic Cable" and it would be bundled with Encore, FX, Stars, TNT, TMC and HBO, plus a couple other movie channels (all of which were commercial free at no extra charge).

Then a few months after we signed up, they started running, what they called, "60 second" commercial spots that they used to schedule during the shows rated as Basic Cable.  And a few months after that, Barden Cablevision was renamed Comcast (due to Barden selling the company to Comcast) and 2 minute commercial spots became the norm, airing once during every half hour show.  The majority of the movie channels started running movie trailers between movie showings.  However, any movie channel owned by Ted Turner was still completely commercial free.

Then, in the late 1990's, the FCC reported that analog TV would no longer be viewable without a "Digital Top Set Box" that everyone was now required to have just to watch basic TV.  They had a registration program where you were allowed only one box per household.  And as notified, all of our TVs and our family members' TVs, that were not hooked up to cable, simultaneously stopped receiving broadcasts on the date specified as the "change over" date.  Fortunately for us, we had cable on one TV, but we couldn't watch basic TV channels without upgrading our cable subscription.

After the change over was complete, cable prices began to drop and we were able to get cable on more that one TV, however, now only 1 to 2 movie channels could be selected as part of your cable package with other channels able to be added at a cost.  A few years later, parts of the Turner Broadcasting System pulled out of the deal with Comcast until a settlement could be reached.

I often crack myself up because I get strange looks from people whenever I talk about how TV used to be free.  The FCC made sure that within one generation, they got what they wanted when they mentioned being able to control how we will be able to watch TV and that we would pay money for it.  Our mother, aunts and uncles would have heated debates about how that was impossible and that no one could control broadcast television, and yet here we are.  And that's been the way of things ever since.

Sorry for the novel, I tend to get wordy about certain events...

large.1157545796_thumb_smileyvault-cute-big-smiley-animated-050042713.gif

We had Continental Cablevision for the longest time.  We had wires going to every room from the box and splitters.  You'd get the same thing in multiple rooms IIRC but it worked.  I don't know how I'd live without DVR and not fastforwarding through commercials.  Back then we just had mute IF we were lucky.  Usually it was turning the volume down.

Now it seems like the same thing has happened.  Analog got shut off and now everyone has digital tuners either built in or used with external antennas.  Wide Open West has been pretty good over all, but their best feature is by far the fact that they're not Comcast/Xfinity.

They say the same arguments about taking over the internet and have been for years.  I do think it's impossible but only because anyone can make a server and set it up.  That really wasn't possible with cable unless you count the cable/satellite pirates.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

I also miss when I didn't feel lost all the time and my relationship with my wife was even remotely functional. The past year and a half has been the most turbulent psychologically damaging years i can remember. I came back here to DGN to have a safe place to speak since i have no kind of support network other than talking to myself in my head. 

6 hours ago, WhiteLines said:

I also miss when I didn't feel lost all the time and my relationship with my wife was even remotely functional. The past year and a half has been the most turbulent psychologically damaging years i can remember. I came back here to DGN to have a safe place to speak since i have no kind of support network other than talking to myself in my head. 

~~~~~

Hugs

That's why I call DGN my publicly, private, personal space.  I spill my guts about everything on hear because I know it's only seen by a select few while at the same time it is very liberating and healing for the soul.

I've released so many demons on this site to the point where I am not even the same person I was when I first created an account.

~Let Go and Let Free~

😊

7 hours ago, TronRP said:

~~~~~

Hugs

That's why I call DGN my publicly, private, personal space.  I spill my guts about everything on hear because I know it's only seen by a select few while at the same time it is very liberating and healing for the soul.

I've released so many demons on this site to the point where I am not even the same person I was when I first created an account.

~Let Go and Let Free~

😊

I beleive my demons are far too many for this site at one time. I gotta lot to say at the moment but i dont want to overload the viewing audience with a 3 page long ranting raving post. I recently ventured onto the interweb for the first real time in a decade and found a small, freaky discord server with no laws and welcoming folks which became my safe place to speak but several of us had life collapsing events coincide at the same time. The one and only moderator hit hardest, I helped talk her thru a sudden devastating breakup, betrayal by her own family, plus her daughter being taken from her all at once. Since then none of us are on there much. Being as i was in Michigan again last week and reflecting on my life long before my marriage had sprang to life and subsequently found its way to an early grave, i decided to look y'all up in tha ol' neighborhood here, see whats shakin'. I knew it'd be a place with some tolerant folks that might welcome me back lol. Hell i still got Troy as one of my FB friends altho i dont actively participate in facebook other than postin pics and links to songs no one views. That was my short rant. I a very wordy wordsmith when i wanna write words

13 hours ago, TronRP said:

~~~~~

Hugs

~Let Go and Let Free~

😊

Oh and I totally get you about not being the same person as when you had first got on DGN. From when my profile was Expslif to now i am called by another name, live a different lifestyle, excelled to notariety in a totally different career path, listen to completely different music, wear different clothing, i have a damn family kids of my own and became successor to patriarchship of what's left of the rest of my living family and have had all of it destroyed and rebuilt more than once then psychologically beaten and tortured until i knew not who i was or how i felt any longer so i gave myself the name WhiteLines and began trying to merge all my past lives back together into one on the highway. DGN here is a puzzle piece of a long gone era I've forgotten that I just collected back up along the way.

I miss when the world used to cater to people with desktop computers.  Now everything is about the cellphone.  I can't do the same things on a smartphone screen that I can do on a desktop monitor.

However, the fact that now the majority of scam artists believe that all of humanity are using a smartphone, I can spot a fake text/email from a mile away. 

😏

I miss when cell phones were virtually unheard of. They can be a neat tool but I remember we used to navigate all on our own instead of follow the blue arrow and incorrect robot voice commands. I remember when we used to have dozens of phone numbers memorized, now i couldn't even tell you what my wifes phone number is I just know it's saved in my phone under "Sunshine" 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 4/7/2022 at 5:47 PM, TronRP said:

I miss my singing voice...I used to have a lot of different ranges, but now it's like a hoarse dude singing through a vegetable strainer. 

😆

My dawling,  I smoke and have lost alot of my, well breathing abilities and range, shit I only do it now cause it's therapeutic.  I know you have it in you!