'Fusion Centers' Expand Criteria to Identify Militia Members

Do you like Ron Paul or oppose abortion? You may be a member of a militia, according to a new report by a government information collection agency.

If you're an anti-abortion activist, or if you display political paraphernalia supporting a third-party candidate or a certain Republican member of Congress, if you possess subversive literature, you very well might be a member of a domestic paramilitary group.

That's according to "The Modern Militia Movement," a report by the Missouri Information Analysis Center (MIAC), a government collective that identifies the warning signs of potential domestic terrorists for law enforcement communities.

"Due to the current economical and political situation, a lush environment for militia activity has been created," the Feb. 20 report reads. "Unemployment rates are high, as well as costs of living expenses. Additionally, President Elect Barrack [sic] Obama is seen as tight on gun control and many extremists fear that he will enact firearms confiscations."

MIAC is one of 58 so-called "fusion centers" nationwide that were created by the Department of Homeland Security, in part, to collect local intelligence that authorities can use to combat terrorism and related criminal activities. More than $254 million from fiscal years 2004-2007 went to state and local governments to support the fusion centers, according to the DHS Web site.

During a press conference last week in Kansas City, Mo., DHS Secretary Janet Napolitano called fusion centers the "centerpiece of state, local, federal intelligence-sharing" in the future.

"Let us not forget the reason we are here, the reason we have the Department of Homeland Security and the reason we now have fusion centers, which is a relatively new concept, is because we did not have the capacity as a country to connect the dots on isolated bits of intelligence prior to 9/11," Napolitano said, according to a DHS transcript.

"That's why we started this.... Now we know that it's not just the 9/11-type incidents but many, many other types of incidents that we can benefit from having fusion centers that share information and product and analysis upwards and horizontally."

But some say the fusion centers are going too far in whom they identify as potential threats to American security.

People who supported former third-party presidential candidates like Texas Rep. Ron Paul, Chuck Baldwin and former Georgia Rep. Bob Barr are cited in the report, in addition to anti-abortion activists and conspiracy theorists who believe the United States, Mexico and Canada will someday form a North American Union.

"Militia members most commonly associate with 3rd party political groups," the report reads. "It is not uncommon for militia members to display Constitutional Party, Campaign for Liberty or Libertarian material."

Other potential signals of militia involvement, according to the report, are possession of the Gagsden "Don't Tread on Me" flag or the widely available anti-income tax film "America: Freedom to Fascism."

Barr, the 2008 Libertarian Party presidential nominee, told FOXNews.com that he's taking steps to get his name removed from the report, which he said could actually "dilute the effectiveness" of law enforcement agencies.

"It can subject people to unwarranted and inappropriate monitoring by the government," he said. "If I were the governor of Missouri, I'd be concerned that law enforcement agencies are wasting their time and effort on such nonsense."

Barr said his office has received "several dozen" complaints related to the report.

Mary Starrett, communications director for the Constitution Party, said Baldwin, the party's 2008 presidential candidate, was "outraged" that his name was included in the report.

"We were so astounded by it we couldn't believe it was real," Starrett told FOXNews.com. "It's painting such a large number of people with a broad brush in a dangerous light."

Michael German, national security policy counsel for the American Civil Liberties Union, said the report "crosses the line" and shows a disregard for civil liberties.

"It seems to implicate people who are engaging in First Amendment protected activities and suggest that something as innocuous as supporting a political candidate for office would mean that you're harboring some ill-intent," German told FOXNews.com. "It's completely inappropriate."

German, who claims the number of fusion centers nationwide is closer to 70, said the centers present several troubling concerns, including their excessive secrecy, ambiguous lines of authority, the use of data mining and military participation.

"No two are alike," German said. "And these things are expanding rapidly."

But MIAC officials defended their report, saying it's not a basis for officers to take enforcement action.

"These reports sometimes mention groups or individuals who are not the subject of the document, but may be relevant to describing tendencies or trends concerning the subject of the document," MIAC said in a statement.

"For example, a criminal group may use a particular wire service to transfer funds, but the mention of that wire service does not imply that it is part of that group, or a criminal enterprise.

Nor does it imply that all individuals who use that service are engaged in criminal activity."

The statement continues, "We are concerned about the mischaracterizations of a document following its recent unauthorized release and we regret that any citizens were unintentionally offended by the content of the document."

Donny Ferguson, a spokesman for the Libertarian Party, said he was concerned by the report's "poor choice of words," among other things.

"Unfortunately it is so broadly worded it could be interpreted as saying millions of peaceful, law-abiding Americans are involved in dangerous activities. These mistakes happen and we hope Missouri officials will correct the report," Ferguson wrote in an e-mail. "The Libertarian Party promotes the common-sense policies of fiscal responsibility and social tolerance. We are the only party in America who makes opposition to initiating violence a condition of membership."

Bob McCarty, a St. Louis resident who blogged about the MIAC report, said he's afraid he may be targeted, since he's previously sold Ron Paul-related merchandise.

"[The report] described me, so maybe I need to get a gun and build a shack out in the woods," McCarty said facetiously. "It's certainly an attempt to stifle political thought, especially in Missouri. It definitely makes me pause, if nothing else. Maybe Missouri is just a test bed for squelching political thought."

ACLU officials blasted a Texas fusion center last month for distributing a "Prevention Awareness Bulletin" that called on law enforcement officers to report activities of local lobbying groups, Muslim civil rights organizations and anti-war protest groups.

This is to stupid to even give my opinion. Seriously our tax dollars are paying for this shit?

FINALLY! It took them this long to give me a label? I didn't know what to call my camo wearing, gun loving, controversial opinion on controversial topic having ass...and now I do...

(Insert name of higher power) only knows that I will live up to their expectations...thats why I live here...

*whistles Dixie while light reflects the cleaned action of a K98 off of shiny combat boots*

Technically, we're all members of a militia.

Militia Act of 1792, "That each and every free able-bodied white male citizen of the respective States, resident therein, who is or shall be of age of eighteen years, and under the age of forty-five years (except as is herein after excepted) shall severally and respectively be enrolled in the militia"

The Militia Act of 1862 added African Americans to the above.

Then there is the Militia Act of 1903 or the "Dick Act". This Act formed the Organized Militia otherwise known as the National Guard, and the Unorganized Militia which is a rehash of the 1792 stipulations - that all able-bodied males (black or white) above the age of 18, and any woman between the ages of 18-45 are members of the Unorganized Militia and required to own a weapon of such type in modern use.

So, there you have it. We're all members of a militia whether we know it or not and are required by law to own military grade weapons. Never mind all those other unconstitutional laws that state we can't. Stupid government.

Militia Act of 1792, "That each and every free able-bodied white male citizen of the respective States, resident therein, who is or shall be of age of eighteen years, and under the age of forty-five years (except as is herein after excepted) shall severally and respectively be enrolled in the militia"

Then there is the Militia Act of 1903 or the "Dick Act". This Act formed the Organized Militia otherwise known as the National Guard, and the Unorganized Militia which is a rehash of the 1792 stipulations - that all able-bodied males (black or white) above the age of 18, and any woman between the ages of 18-45 are members of the Unorganized Militia and required to own a weapon of such type in modern use.

So, there you have it. We're all members of a militia whether we know it or not and are required by law to own military grade weapons. Never mind all those other unconstitutional laws that state we can't. Stupid government.

:shock:

*changes label on coin jar*

So wait...I really am supposed to own this full-auto .308? That law was just joking? Oh well, like I give a crap anyways...

This also explains why my friend always calls himself Standartenführer and calls me Hauptsturmführer...

What I want to know is, when did the presence of militiamen become a bad thing in the United States?

If not for a bunch of swamp rats and bre'r rabbits, we would have never won the Revolutionary War.

It became bad because they only people willing, and with any knowledge on how to do it, are now know as rednecks...no matter where they live or what they really like. And as we all know...redneck cannot be trusted seeing as they only have half a brain. Don't worry, if it ever comes down to it they will call on us...but even then the respect will only be fake...

What I want to know is, when did the presence of militiamen become a bad thing in the United States?

If not for a bunch of swamp rats and bre'r rabbits, we would have never won the Revolutionary War.

That's why the government views it as a bad thing. Because a bunch of swamp rats and bre'r rabbits overthrew the government to form a new nation. Our current government is sliding away from a Republic and into an Oligarchy and they're worried that a bunch of swamp rats and bre'r rabbits will stand up against this change (that I don't want to believe in), overthrow the government, and form a new nation returning us to the Constitutional Republic we once were. The current government is scared of losing its power.

And now that I've said that, I'm sure I'll be upgraded on the list to "Instigator".

That's why the government views it as a bad thing. Because a bunch of swamp rats and bre'r rabbits overthrew the government to form a new nation. Our current government is sliding away from a Republic and into an Oligarchy and they're worried that a bunch of swamp rats and bre'r rabbits will stand up against this change (that I don't want to believe in), overthrow the government, and form a new nation returning us to the Constitutional Republic we once were. The current government is scared of losing its power.

And now that I've said that, I'm sure I'll be upgraded on the list to "Instigator".

So...where do we go for the meetings? I can bring cookies!

It became bad because they only people willing, and with any knowledge on how to do it, are now know as rednecks...no matter where they live or what they really like. And as we all know...redneck cannot be trusted seeing as they only have half a brain. Don't worry, if it ever comes down to it they will call on us...but even then the respect will only be fake...

I'd just like to point out that I'm redneck, and I'd like to think that I'm quite intelligent.

I'd just like to point out that I'm redneck, and I'd like to think that I'm quite intelligent.

Well, me too. However, I am not reflecting my thoughts...just those of many people. I can walk out dresses, and walking, like Kfed and people think that I am awesome and smart...I can then go put on my camo pants, german camo, along with my standard issue shirt and harness, and then my brilliant black combat boots...and people think I am a dumbass that wants to kill everything.

Well, me too. However, I am not reflecting my thoughts...just those of many people. I can walk out dresses, and walking, like Kfed and people think that I am awesome and smart...I can then go put on my camo pants, german camo, along with my standard issue shirt and harness, and then my brilliant black combat boots...and people think I am a dumbass that wants to kill everything.

people suck.

*AHEM*

...I can...& O_M_G as well...& HH...& a whole lot of peoples I know...matter of fact!

I was not talking about you people...damn attention hogs! I was talking about the common people...like people not on this board and not in the military...like people that shop at American Eagle...and also people that are not Jean-Claude Van Damme...

I was not talking about you people...damn attention hogs! I was talking about the common people...like people not on this board and not in the military...like people that shop at American Eagle...and also people that are not Jean-Claude Van Damme...

:dry: ...what do they matter?....they bore me.

A couple of things confuse me here...

1. Rednecks: When exactly did redneck become an insult? The term redneck, when it was coined, was used to describe the early members of Unions. They wore red bandanas tied around thier neck to signal thier support of the union in the early days. Somehow the label used to describe the heroes that changed labor laws in our country is now a deragatory term.

2. Why do people think that if your in a Militia, your a redneck/hick/uneducated fool? Most members are ex military, educated citizens who love thier country. A good portion wear jacket and tie to thier place of work.

1. Rednecks: When exactly did redneck become an insult? The term redneck, when it was coined, was used to describe the early members of Unions. They wore red bandanas tied around thier neck to signal thier support of the union in the early days. Somehow the label used to describe the heroes that changed labor laws in our country is now a deragatory term.

2. Why do people think that if your in a Militia, your a redneck/hick/uneducated fool? Most members are ex military, educated citizens who love thier country. A good portion wear jacket and tie to thier place of work.

Good questions...it sucks but, that is how shit ended up.

1. Rednecks now wear the term proudly. I don't know how they got it confused with "White Trash" but they did.

2. Probably because a lot of ex vets are insane after what the military did to them.

Archived